Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
simko
simko began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Kindle to handle large pdf textbook?

Hi everyone,

first post here.

I'm a busy university student, I haul tons of books and was wondering if the kindle would allow me to lighten my backpack....

I have a couple of my textbooks downloaded in large PDF files....one of the books is ~400MB in size.

I realize the kindle doesn't display colour images, which is fine by me, but the textbooks do show detailed diagrams etc

I was just wondering if a modified kindle 3 can handle these types of files, as this is what I would be using the kindle for.

If the kindle would not be good for this use, are there any inexpensive readers (around kindle pricepoint) that would be better suited for tihs?

thanks

Simko
simko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Are your pdfs actual text files or are they just scanned images of texts? The kindle can handle text based pdfs just fine, and you can zoom into pictures and diagrams. Pdfs which are basically just images of texts would not work in a practical way on a kindle. At 400 mb, it sounds like your pdfs are the later.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
simko
simko began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
the books arent text based, is there a way to convert them to that?

is there an e reader better suited for this?

Simko
simko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I think a laptop or other pc with a larger screen is better for reading pdfs with large page sizes (e.g. 8.5 x 11 or A4). There simply isn't enough screen room for displaying everything without a lot of scrolling, zooming, etc. on a small screen.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If the PDF is unrestricted, you may be able to reduce the file size with Acrobat or another PDF tool, or split it into smaller files that K3 can handle.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simko View Post
the books arent text based, is there a way to convert them to that?

is there an e reader better suited for this?

Simko
OCR software can convert images into text, but even the best ocr isn't great imho. It'll either have lots of errors in the translationor require an enormous amount of work. Plus its probably expensive, and the free ocr programs I know of aren't very good; they either limit how many pages you can convert, or are extremely slow and only allow you to convert one page at a time.

The best and cheapest solution would be a netbook, provided that you don't already own a laptop. A kindle Dx or an Ipad might be more effective because of their large screens, but I can't really say because I have not nor have ever used a dx and ipad. They are also fairly expensive.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
it's possible to do it, but it'll be a pain

I'm a college student, have some PDFs (scanned ocr'd, plain PC-generated pdfs like scientific papers, some not) on my Kindle DXG

i say try to find something else, or wait for amazon to update the firmware first. it's readable, but its slow and not worth it

Some pdfs crash on mine. for the non ocr'
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
spellbanisher
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post

I'm a college student, have some PDFs (scanned ocr'd, plain PC-generated pdfs like scientific papers, some not) on my Kindle DXG

i say try to find something else, or wait for amazon to update the firmware first. it's readable, but its slow and not worth it

Is there any device where viewing a pdf isn't slow and a pain in the...
Old 02-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post

have you tried installing Duoken?
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
Is there any device where viewing a pdf isn't slow and a pain in the...
Paper!
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
spellbanisher
Guru

Paper may be best, but stone tablets will save you a lot of money on ink. The resolution on the charts might not be too great though.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
what will duoken do?
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
People that I have talked to indicate that a Kindle DX and a Bookeen are best for this job.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
what will duoken do?
it will allow you to reflow pdf text, add more contrast and even convert 2 columns to one on the fly, and more...IOW's- make pdf tolerable on a kindle.
oh yeah, you can read epubs too.
do a search here. very easy to install and won't overwrite the kindle firmware so you can duel boot.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:37 AM   #15
oleoleoleusa
oleoleoleusa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
A group of Carnegie Mellon students are taking on a project to solve this problem.

Check it out: http://www.indiegogo.com/ALIPT

I'm interested in contributing and pledge to do so after 25 people contribute to the cause.
oleoleoleusa is offline   Reply With Quote