Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
Lindsaym
Lindsaym began at the beginning.

Device: None
Looking for reader that has e-ink screen

(Oops -- I meant to expand the title of this post to include the other details, like HTML and PDF support, only to find out that I can't edit it! Apologies, then, for the very silly title -- I assure you, I do know that most readers have e-ink screens now!)

Hey all,

I'd pretty much convinced myself to get a Kindle 2 (now that it's down to $259) but then I discovered this forum and thought I'd ask the experts for feedback!

I'm looking for a cheapish e-reader that can handle books in the following formats:

HTML
PDF (documents converted to PDF from Microsoft Word - I'm a student and we circulate our papers for critiques in PDF format!)
TXT
...and, ideally, E-PUB (library books - this right here is the drawback with the Kindle)

I want e-ink because I spend a huge amount of every day in front of the computer so it's important that the e-reader not put a strain on my eyes. I was leaning toward the Kindle 2 because everyone says the display is so nice -- and of course the prices on new fiction are best through Amazon. However, if there's another reader out there with an equally good display, that also handles HTML and PDF (plain text) better for the same (or lesser) price, that would probably sway me.

Thanks in advance for any advice you've got!
Lindsaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi Linda and welcome to MR. Have you checked out the matrix yet?
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Lindsaym
Lindsaym began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for the link to that page! It helped refocus me on the Pocketbook 360. Cheers!
Lindsaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaym View Post
Thanks for the link to that page! It helped refocus me on the Pocketbook 360. Cheers!
Great choice

http://pocketbook.reader-ebook.org/
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote