Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
Dale,
The cover page is pg 0 with my pc mobireader, and the toc is pg 1. Maybe the problem is how to assign page 1 to the cover page or page 2 to the toc because as it is, the ebook always seems to open to page 1, regardless of whether it's my pc mobireader or my bebook. Everything looks ok as far as the guides, etc. I also tried putting 'aname' in different locations such as immediately after the <html> in the ebook html file but that did not help. Yet most ebooks that I download from MobileRead start at the cover page.
Bob
There is an old story about a programmer who had to go on a trip. When he returned his mathematician friend met him at the airport and they went down to the baggage claim to pick up the luggage.

The programmer says: "I checked 2 bags and now one is missing."

The mathematician says: "No there's not, I see 2 bags with your name on them."

The programmer says: "No, see there is 0, 1, ... and 2 is missing."
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #17
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Dale,
That certainly seems to apply to Mobicreator. I can't say I really like the function of the mbp file because the cover disappears as soon as you open the book, regardless of whether you plan to read it then or not. Of course I can go to the previous page(s) and eventually see the cover.

Yesterday, I started using Book Designer with the able assistance of HarryT's and Patricia's tutorials on BD and Mobicreator, and finally found how to locate the TOC at any place I'd like, such as after the title page or the end of the book. Their tutorials are really great! I had tried BD before finding the tutorials and had a great deal of trouble.
Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:26 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
Dale,
That certainly seems to apply to Mobicreator. I can't say I really like the function of the mbp file because the cover disappears as soon as you open the book, regardless of whether you plan to read it then or not. Of course I can go to the previous page(s) and eventually see the cover.
I don't know about the BeBook, but the CyBook has a "Goto..." menu, one of whose options is to view the cover.

Could you clarify what you mean when you say that you "don't really like the mbp file"? Do you mean that you don't want the reader to remember where you currently are in the book? That's what the mbp file does! (among other things, like store your bookmarks and annotations)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #19
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

problem with go toc and first page in BeBook

Help please! I've been unable to make my bebook go to toc and first page work with my ebooks nor with MobiCreator; it works with HarryT's, Patricia's etc. ebooks but not mine. I've experimented with various things but nothing works.

Here's my latest opf:

"<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<package unique-identifier="uid"><metadata><dc-metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/metadata/dublin_core" xmlnsebpackage="http://openebook.org/namespaces/oeb-package/1.0/"><dc:Title>The Moon Pool</dc:Title><dc:Language>en-us</dc:Language><dc:Identifier id="uid">B7DD4B3DBF</dc:Identifier></dc-metadata><x-metadata><output encoding="Windows-1252"></output></x-metadata></metadata><manifest><item id="item1" media-type="text/x-oeb1-document" href="The Moon Pool.html"></item></manifest><spine><itemref idref="item1"/></spine><tours></tours><guide><reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="book.html%23toc"></reference><reference type="other.ms-firstpage" title="Start Reading" href="book.html%23start_reading"></reference></guide></package>"

and here is from my html:

"<br style="page-break-after:always"/><SPAN id=TITLE><A name=toc><DIV align=center><B><FONT color=#0000ff>Table of Contents</FONT></B></DIV></A></SPAN>"
"<br style="page-break-after:always"/><SPAN id=title><A name=start_reading><A name=BdToc_1><DIV align=center><FONT color=#001950><B><I>Forward</I></B></FONT></DIV></A>"

With MobiCreator, I get a warning that the hyperlinks for both toc and start reading are not 'resolved'

I thought I followed HarryT's tutorial but apparently I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone spot my error?

Bob
Old 07-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #20
bobcdy
Fanatic

Problem with go to toc and start page

I think I see the cause of my problem but don't know how to solve it. I noticed in my early ebook work that MobiCreator created a subdirectory called 'ebookname'_opfcache for each ebook during its creation. I think that MobiCreator uses files in that subfolder to resolve html links for toc, start page, etc. during creation of a prc file.

For my recent work, however, no such subdirectory has been created so that MobiCreator can't resolve the links for toc, etc - this is the warnings it gives upon creation of a prc ebook. At first, I thought perhaps Mobicreator had become corrupted so I uninstalled it, rebooted, and reininstalled Mobicreator. Had the same problem, so MobiCreator is not at fault. The problem appears to have started when I began to use Book Designer to develop the precursor html file for MobiCreator to work on. My two earlier HTML files were manually created from an MS Word rtf or doc file based on the ocr of my book scans; whereas now I use an rtf to start Book Designer that forms the html for mobicreator.

Yet the file created by Book Designer looks ok, and I think this is a procedure that many uploaders to MobilRead do, so why should I have problems with the opfcache subdirectory?
Bob
Old 07-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #21
bobcdy
Fanatic

OK, my problem is solved and as usual it was caused by my lack of attention to HarryT's excellent tutorial: I forgot to rename my html file as 'book.htm'. Mobipocket Creator tried to find book.htm and could not do so; hence could not resolve the files and gave warnings.
Bob