Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
jsonora
jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle PW1/PW2/Voyage, Kobo Glo/Aura
Amazon Japan releases PW Manga Model

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01FIG3SMC/
storage: 32GB
FW 5.8.5(already released for KT2, Oasis, PW3, PW2, Voyage in Japan)
page turn speed up 33%
and see the following videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kyLVWPC4WU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-41SpJBtqE
jsonora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Do you think it has the same size as PW3? I think the screen of PW is too small for comic.

Last edited by 344a; 10-18-2016 at 09:55 AM.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
It's exactly the same as the standard PW3 in Japan, it just has increased storage of 32GB (for up to 700 comics), for an extra ¥ 2000.

Edited to add: It also mentions faster page turns, but from the standard PW page it says this 'cartoon page turning speed is 33% up' is delivered in a software update from the end of October.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 10-18-2016 at 11:35 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
It's exactly the same as the standard PW3 in Japan, it just has increased storage of 32GB (for up to 700 comics), for an extra ¥ 2000.

Edited to add: It also mentions faster page turns, but from the standard PW page it says this 'cartoon page turning speed is 33% up' is delivered in a software update from the end of October.
I wish we could have that storage capacity as well.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-18-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
So do I, for the Voyage anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #6
fardeenah
Connoisseur
fardeenah began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
so the faster page turn is just from a software update? gr8 then
fardeenah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
The 4GB version of the PW was originally released for the Japanese market and then got rolled out worldwide. Wouldn't surprise me if the same happened with this in a year's time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #8
jdcarpe
jdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watch

Device: K2, K3, PW3, KT3, PW3-32, PRS-650, NST, KA1
I pre-ordered mine today. It will arrive at my proxy on release day, the 21st. Then EMS to me here in the US should take a few days. I don't even read manga, but I just had to have a PW3 with 32GB storage!
jdcarpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:22 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcarpe View Post
I pre-ordered mine today. It will arrive at my proxy on release day, the 21st. Then EMS to me here in the US should take a few days. I don't even read manga, but I just had to have a PW3 with 32GB storage!
I think a picture of the device info showing the storage is required (if you don't mind)

I wonder how long before we can buy them on eBay
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:37 AM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I would buy one. Why are the Japanese getting preferential treatment? First with the white, first with the 4GB, first with the 32GB....maybe Japan is the test market.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #11
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I would buy one. Why are the Japanese getting preferential treatment? First with the white, first with the 4GB, first with the 32GB....maybe Japan is the test market.
Because manga is wildly popular over there, and even non-manga stuff is mostly CJK and thus needs circa two to four times as much space.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Because manga is wildly popular over there, and even non-manga stuff is mostly CJK and thus needs circa two to four times as much space.
Is that really true? Although each character requires more bytes to encode, there are fewer characters than there would be for the equivalent ASCII text. Doesn't it even out?
Old 10-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #13
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Why are the Japanese getting preferential treatment?
Because you would try to fill up that space with the ordinary books instead of huge manga files ;-).

Ordinary Kindle starts having problems after you load up more than a few hundred books. And there are people that would try to upload thousands on the new model and then they would start to complain to customer support and forums and blogs.

Do you think it is going to have support for hierarchical directories and the ability to switch off indexing? I do not think so ... sigh ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Ordinary Kindle starts having problems after you load up more than a few hundred books.
What problems? I have 1900 books on my Voyage, and no problems at all.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Because you would try to fill up that space with the ordinary books instead of huge manga files ;-).
Maybe

Quote:
Ordinary Kindle starts having problems after you load up more than a few hundred books.
Almost a thousand on my Voyage, no problems.

I really don't need 32GB on a Kindle reader, but I like the idea.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-23-2016 at 04:46 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote