Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
B&N: ebook share bigger than print share

From ZDnet:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/barnes...lerating/38300

B&N reports their share of ebook market exceeds their share of print books, in some segments by a lot. (Romance books in particular.)
They also see *less* players in ebook retailing; as few as 3 or 4.

It seems they are in fact making good progress in moving to digital and their vision is paying off but the question is still whether or not they have to resources to carry it out fully.

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-24-2010 at 11:39 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
From ZDnet:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/barnes...lerating/38300

B&N reports their share of ebook market exceeds their share of print books, in some segments by a lot. (Romance books in particular.)
They also see *less* players in ebook retailing; as few as 3 or 4.

It seems they are in fact making good progress in moving to digital and their vision is paying off but the question is still whether or not they have to resources to carry it out fully.
I suspect they do. I know they have been dinged a couple of times by the Press in recent days. But I think they are still very much the strongest Brick and Mortar book retailer out there and probably the second strongest ebook retailer.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Since they bought and control the fate of "Fictionwise" and "eReader.com", two of the
major eBook sources, in my PDA reading days and major supporters of the .pdb format;
I hope they do not "see" the ebook retailing players shrinking by the loss of those two.

I don't know if B&N sees Fictionwise and eReader.com as a part of "their" eBook sales
or as a potential cost cutting candidate. The historical survival rate of such acquired
assets within such as B&N, is not very high.

There may be more loss of good sources before we see any market stabilization.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Ryan_Phx
Enthusiast
Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2, Nook, Kindle DXG
I wonder if all the free ebooks they're offering count in their tally. If so, it's not really a valid comparison.
Ryan_Phx is offline   Reply With Quote