Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Super-thin flexible OLED from Sony

http://www.physorg.com/news174112703.html

Quote:
(PhysOrg.com) -- Sony is showing off prototypes incorporating its super-thin, flexible OLED technology at the CREATEC JAPAN 2009 IT and electronics trade show in Makuhari Messe (Chiba) in Japan.

Sony's new "bendable" and transparent organic light emitting diode (OLED) technology is being shown in prototypes featuring an OLED a mere 0.2 mm thick. The prototype devices are a Vaio notebook, a flexible e-book, and a Walkman bracelet.
All just prototypes of course, but interesting to see where things may be heading.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Tons of research and money being poured into flexible electronics/displays. It is interesting stuff. A bit disappointing that the entire video was animated and that their prototype is just a flexible polymer pasted on the laptop with nothing displayed. Looks like they have a long way to go yet.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed - still a long way to go, but definitely something I expect to see readily available in the next 5 to 10 years. Just a matter of time until we have a very small device that is our phone, but would allow you to pull out the screen to a larger size for reading books or watching videos.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Tons of research and money being poured into flexible electronics/displays.
As far as eReaders are concerened, I'm sure the device makers are eager to move away from eInk royalties. Not sure where this leaves a company like Amazon who seems to own little of the underling technology within their Kindle.
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The reader segment of that clip was pretty boring imo, "You mean it can TURN PAGES, egads!".

I found the bracelet MP3 player a more compelling device. If they had that in stores now they would sell a few million in the first day. I always love seeing those paper thing devices in sci-fi movies, but I think that level of thinness (a thin plastic film that acts like a mobile touch device) is awaiting nano-technology.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
As someone in the nanotech field, unfortunately, I must say that we are a long way away from when we will actually have this kind of stuff. There is a lot more that needs to be done before we even have good proof of concept devices. Flexible displays is only one half of the challenge. You also need another layer of flexible electronics underneath that can interface with it without interfering with its performance. That kind of technology is still a way aways. However it is very interesting to follow. I'm sure we'll get there eventually...just not very sure about the time frame.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
I'd probably get happy if it could roll up instead.

There use to be this show Earth Final Conflict. They had these global communicators.

And according to Gizmodo is getting there.
Note this image is just a rough idea cause it look lame as something actual.

Both actually look a little lame, but that's just poor design. Easily fixed. The part that would rock to me would be the scroll that can roll out the full or even partial screen.

Last edited by Xerxes; 10-08-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
Shadowplay
Groupie

I was just gonna mention devices like that. I appreciate the difficulty of having a *fully* flexible device, but it's gotta be a different (lesser) challenge to have a solid device with a flexible screen that rolls out. I know there's at least one company (an Italian company I believe) producing something like this right now.

Those things from Earth Final Conflict are perfect examples of what I had in mind, too.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
I was just gonna mention devices like that. I appreciate the difficulty of having a *fully* flexible device, but it's gotta be a different (lesser) challenge to have a solid device with a flexible screen that rolls out. I know there's at least one company (an Italian company I believe) producing something like this right now.

Those things from Earth Final Conflict are perfect examples of what I had in mind, too.
Close to perfect. Parts of it seem to clunky. ^_^

Although I guess the camera on the front being removed would fix that.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #10
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
that looks really cool for me.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #11
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
As far as eReaders are concerened, I'm sure the device makers are eager to move away from eInk royalties. Not sure where this leaves a company like Amazon who seems to own little of the underling technology within their Kindle.
Exactly where they are now, using their size to get competitive deals from the hardware companies they work with.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote