Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
zer0her0
zer0her0 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Sony PRS-500
Few questions on K2 vs DX...

I purchase most all my technical ebooks from O'Reilly ebooks. How do the O'Reilly books look in the mobi format that they distribute in? Has anyone loaded their PDFs on a DX? How do they compare: Mobi vs PDF? K2 vs DX?

Second, I read/reference alot of google's API docs, are they viewable/usable in the kindle's browser? Is it free or do I need to pay per MB? Is there a difference between the K2 and DX browsers?

Finally, are technical books readable on the K2, screen size wise? Or is the DX really the way most people go for technical documentation?

I have tried looking for answer to these questions and haven't really found definitive answers, and I know it's ultimately my call, but instead of buying both and testing both out I figured I could ask general opinions here
zer0her0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0her0 View Post
I purchase most all my technical ebooks from O'Reilly ebooks. How do the O'Reilly books look in the mobi format that they distribute in? Has anyone loaded their PDFs on a DX? How do they compare: Mobi vs PDF? K2 vs DX?
You can read a mobipocket on your PC using the mobipocket reader software from mobipocket.com. Better yet, download calibre and use it to view a file. You can resize the Calibre window to simulate the size of the two readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0her0 View Post
Second, I read/reference alot of google's API docs, are they viewable/usable in the kindle's browser? Is it free or do I need to pay per MB? Is there a difference between the K2 and DX browsers?
I use the web browser all the time. Today, I used it to pull up a map on google maps. However, if you buy the Kindle for its web browser you will be sorely disappointed. It is slow, uses a small screen (my Kindle2 screen), and doesn't support all web technologies. As a bonus feature it is a pleasant surprise, but as an everyday web browser you would be disappointed. Today, it is free to use. However, the promise from Amazon is limited to only a few features, such as free wikipedia. Therefore, don't assume that it will always be free. OR, Amazon might choose to restrict access at some future time.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
zer0her0

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
You can read a mobipocket on your PC using the mobipocket reader software from mobipocket.com. Better yet, download calibre and use it to view a file. You can resize the Calibre window to simulate the size of the two readers.
Ah I have Calibre, I didn't even think of that! Great idea, I'll have to try that at home tomorrow.

Quote:
I use the web browser all the time. Today, I used it to pull up a map on google maps. However, if you buy the Kindle for its web browser you will be sorely disappointed. It is slow, uses a small screen (my Kindle2 screen), and doesn't support all web technologies. As a bonus feature it is a pleasant surprise, but as an everyday web browser you would be disappointed. Today, it is free to use. However, the promise from Amazon is limited to only a few features, such as free wikipedia. Therefore, don't assume that it will always be free. OR, Amazon might choose to restrict access at some future time.
As I said the only thing I really could see myself using the browser for is for Google's API documentation, and maybe a few other online API docs I would like to be able to reference in those rare instances I don't have internet but need to still coding. Right now in those instances I've used my iPhone which is a touch too small, so I'm wondering how well the 6" displays the google code docs.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Resize your web browser window to 90x120mm (the size of the K2's screen) and see how it looks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
zer0her0

True, but I'm also concerned with how it renders the HTML/JS/etc, as each browser seems to render these standards different, but i'll try that as well tomorrow. thanks for the suggestions guys.
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
lovemov
Enthusiast
lovemov began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I read tech books all the time in pdf. I have no K2 but Sony 505. On DX, pdf is very cool on DX compares to Sony 505.
lovemov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
If you are planning to buy DX to read mostly PDFs - don't, you'll be disappointed.
As eBook reader, DX is fine.
ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
If you're planning to read A4 size PDFs without taking notes or searching then you won't be disappointed. I have lots of technical books on DX, it's great reading experience. I also have Sony 505 and 700, have had iLiad v2 and, in my opinion, DX is a good device for PDFs. It's not iLiad (had zoom, notes, etc.) but it's not bad at all.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
If you're planning to read A4 size PDFs without taking notes or searching then you won't be disappointed. I have lots of technical books on DX, it's great reading experience
I do exactly this and I find DX unusable most of the time - fonts are too light, I get a headache after 10-15 minutes of such reading.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I'd wait and see what else comes out in large screen over the next month or two. The DX can be used to read a PDF in a pinch, but overall it is inadequate.

I personally would not get it if PDFs are important. In fact, I'll get rid of both my Kindles the moment the new large screens become available from other vendors, provided PDF implementation is decent (and there is no reason to think it would not be.)
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
I do exactly this and I find DX unusable most of the time - fonts are too light, I get a headache after 10-15 minutes of such reading.
I'm trying to guess why Davidion and EBS have such different experiences here. This is just a guess, and I'd love to hear back from them, but ...

Some pdf's contains pictures of text, but no actual text. These images are scans of individual book/article pages. You will find that many academic journal articles are in this format.

Other pdf's do contain text. With these pdf's you get several aditional features. for example, you can search for specific text in the pdf or you may be able to change the font size to make it easier to read.

Now, on to my guess. I wonder if there is a difference in how these two are rendered on the screen. I could 'make-up' an argument for one or the other being better. Depending on what the DX does and the source material it could be the text format or the image format that is better. However, I do suspect that these differences are at the heart of the two different opinions.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
ebs
Zealot

Quote:
I'm trying to guess why Davidion and EBS have such different experiences here. This is just a guess, and I'd love to hear back from them, but ...

Some pdf's contains pictures of text, but no actual text. These images are scans of individual book/article pages. You will find that many academic journal articles are in this format.

Other pdf's do contain text. With these pdf's you get several aditional features. for example, you can search for specific text in the pdf or you may be able to change the font size to make it easier to read.

Now, on to my guess. I wonder if there is a difference in how these two are rendered on the screen. I could 'make-up' an argument for one or the other being better. Depending on what the DX does and the source material it could be the text format or the image format that is better. However, I do suspect that these differences are at the heart of the two different opinions.
No, PDFs I use are NOT scanned images, they are normal PDF files with text. Kindle font rendering is known to be not very good (look at all those font hacks), they basically licensed Adobe PDF engine used for normal computers and just integrated it into Kindle software without making any adjustments for the different display technology.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
All of the text PDF files I've loaded are fine but the PDFs made up of scanned images are hit or miss. For those I almost always have to turn the DX sideways in order to read the document. I also find that technical material almost always needs to read with the DX sideways.

The text PDFs are searchable from within the PDF but of course the scanned image ones are not. No markup or annotation makes the PDF function limited but I don't need that very often.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #14
emellaich
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
No, PDFs I use are NOT scanned images, they are normal PDF files with text. Kindle font rendering is known to be not very good (look at all those font hacks), they basically licensed Adobe PDF engine used for normal computers and just integrated it into Kindle software without making any adjustments for the different display technology.
Actually, that could be possible. I purposefully didn't take a position on which was better. As you mentioned, on my Kindle2 I found an issue with the original fonts, and I'm convinced it is because of the anti-aliasing versus the original Kindle. A scanned pdf might be sharper than an actual font if the scan is black and white and not grayscale.

As I said earlier I could argue it either way. I was just suggesting there was a difference, not what the difference was.