Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
The Nook with Glowlight

Quote:
The light is actually quite well distributed on the display. You'll notice a bit of a gradient at the top, near the light source, but after reading for a bit, odds are you'll completely forget about it. We used it for a bit in a darkened room, and it's really a pleasant reading experience, staying true to most of the benefits of e-ink. We asked Barnes & Noble reps how the resulting eye strain compares to a back-illuminated device like the iPad, and while they refused to say anything conclusive, they conceded it should be "equal or less" to what you'd experience on such a device.
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
And it's up on BN, for $139, for May 1st.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook...ble/1108046469

I must say, I'm curious about the "Built-in anti-glare screen protector" and the decrease in battery life. This sucker is lighter than the ST, so there obviously have been some other hardware changes to offset the added weight from the LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nook with GlowLight
With GlowLight on at the default brightness setting, a single charge will last over 1 month with wireless off based on ½ hour of daily reading and a 1 page refresh per minute. A single charge lasts over 2 months with wireless off and GlowLight off based on ½ hour of daily reading time and 1 page refresh per minute. Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests conducted using specific units. Actual results may vary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nook ST
A single charge lasts up to two months with wireless off based upon an hour of daily reading time. Actual results may vary

Last edited by MovieBird; 04-12-2012 at 05:46 PM.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I can't wait to see it, I'm exactly their target market. Would a front-lit screen benefit from white-on-black text for reading in the dark, as a back-lit screen does?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The light looks a bit too bright in the pics; it's adjustable so maybe they cranked it up for the photo session. They'd better because the text looks significantly lighter/grayer than the Kindle Touch next to it.

Also, I'm not sure but the STR has a white on gray night mode, right?
If so, that might help...

Oh, and the tech is reportedly B&N in-house, not a Flexlight light guide.
And they're filing a patent!
(It's a start.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is a meta-review with snippets from and links to other reviews:

http://www.slashgear.com/nook-simple...p-up-12222720/

I like to see B&N innovating!

eP
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The light looks a bit too bright in the pics; it's adjustable so maybe they cranked it up for the photo session. They'd better because the text looks significantly lighter/grayer than the Kindle Touch next to it.
My thoughts exactly, I think the promo images on B&N are a bit over the top with the light effect. On the video on Engadget it looks more subdued, especially when they crank it down. It looks very nice, I need to check it out, I'm very keen to use this for bed reading.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure but the STR has a white on gray night mode, right?
If so, that might help...
No, there is only 1 reading mode, there is no "night" mode - at least on the STR, maybe they changed it on this Glowlight model, but I doubt it.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
No, there is only 1 reading mode, there is no "night" mode - at least on the STR, maybe they changed it on this Glowlight model, but I doubt it.
Correct, the nook STR doesn't have a "night" mode. E-ink isn't particularly well suited for such a thing anyway.

However, if you root your device and install an alternative reading program, then you can have a night mode if you so wish.
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post

innovating!
mmmmm. maybe not? Amazon has tech too - bn just first to release.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
mmmmm. maybe not? Amazon has tech too - bn just first to release.
If they are first to market, I call that innovating.

And yes, I know that Sony had a front-lit reader years ago, I never saw one but I guess the screen was very hard to read. So if this one is markedly different, I still call it innovating.

eP
Old 04-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Looks like papas getting a new eReader soon LOL
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
My thoughts exactly, I think the promo images on B&N are a bit over the top with the light effect. On the video on Engadget it looks more subdued, especially when they crank it down. It looks very nice, I need to check it out, I'm very keen to use this for bed reading.
In the promo image it looks to be putting out more light than an iPad or Nook Color at lowest brightness. It isn't going to be magically better for the eyes than an LCD screen.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
In the promo image it looks to be putting out more light than an iPad or Nook Color at lowest brightness. It isn't going to be magically better for the eyes than an LCD screen.
The promo image on the B&N website mentions: "screen and light effects simulated".
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Needs to be seen, but I would expect it to be no worse (and probably significantly better) than an LCD display. And the battery life is not too severely impacted, you should still get several weeks worth of reading if you don't have the light on all the time.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Oh, and the tech is reportedly B&N in-house, not a Flexlight light guide.
Yeah, 8 LEDs in the upper inner edge is not Flexlight technology, which uses only 1-2 LEDs.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote