Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Heather56
Heather56 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wi-Fi
Arrow Kindle 3 In Canada

I've pretty much decided to get the kindle 3 after everything I've read it seems to be the best suited for me. I only want it for reading the ebooks, I don't care about any fancy stuff. I was just curious what people who have one think of it? And if any of them live in Canada, how do the 3G and wireless work?

The only other thing was the formatting I heard was the trouble. Is it easy to get the correct books? What are some good free sites to get them?

Just any imput on it would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Heather56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Both my wife and I have one. We are in Calgary. Have the wifi model - wireless works fine. We both love them. Make sure you pick up a cover too. We have the lighted cover. They are kind of pricey, but oh so worth it.

Not sure what you are talking about or heard regarding the formatting. If you mean the format of the amazon ebooks, yes they are unique to amazon/kindle and cannot be used on other devices, nor can you read epub files on the kindle.

However, using the Calibre software it is easy to convert amazon books to formats that can be used on other devices and vice versa. Of course you have to remove the drm first to do this. Which is pretty easy to do.

This said, it you are only going to read on amazon devices, you don't have to worry about all that and the kindle is very easy to use.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Heather56
Heather56 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Both my wife and I have one. We are in Calgary. Have the wifi model - wireless works fine. We both love them. Make sure you pick up a cover too. We have the lighted cover. They are kind of pricey, but oh so worth it.

Not sure what you are talking about or heard regarding the formatting. If you mean the format of the amazon ebooks, yes they are unique to amazon/kindle and cannot be used on other devices, nor can you read epub files on the kindle.

However, using the Calibre software it is easy to convert amazon books to formats that can be used on other devices and vice versa. Of course you have to remove the drm first to do this. Which is pretty easy to do.

This said, it you are only going to read on amazon devices, you don't have to worry about all that and the kindle is very easy to use.
If I were to have another format such as the epub and wanted to put it on the kindle, how do I remove the drm you mentioned?
Heather56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather56 View Post
If I were to have another format such as the epub and wanted to put it on the kindle, how do I remove the drm you mentioned?
Google Apprentice Alf, and search for Calibre plugins. Cannot go any further on this forum.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
purple rose
purple rose began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Google Apprentice Alf, and search for Calibre plugins. Cannot go any further on this forum.
Thanks for the reference montalex. Looks good.
purple rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
canada, kindle 3