Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #16
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by patomonk View Post
I am now looking forward to reading the Moonstone, I am a detective novel junkie and I have never read it. According to Dorothy Sayers, it is the best of them all (and she is definitely one of the best writers herself, so she should know!)

On a side note, Collins and Dickens were friends and I think it likely that Collins inspired Dickens to try his hand at mystery and that was the genesis of Edwin Drood.
First, the Moonstone is one great trip. I enjoyed it and hope you do too. Second, there are ALOT of fictionalizations of the relationship between Collins and Dickens. The published the magazine All the Year Round together and Collins' brother married Dickens' oldest daughter. If you like the flavor, after you read the Moonstone and Drood (if you havent already), try The Last Dickens (Matthew Reily, i think) and Drood (Dan Simmons).
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #17
sara4
sara4 began at the beginning.

Device: cruz ereader
Originally Posted by sara4
I joined, I saw the list, I voted , I read between work and chores, I read before I fell asleep because I have this marvelous light which shines on the page and not on my husbands face. I was only going to read a chapter a night but I had to find out how it ends. So I finished it it in 2 nights. I loved it, and am sorry I never read Wilkie Collins before. Now, since then I have read 2 more full ebooks and 3 hardcovers. Just finished the last of Sieg Larsens" the Girl who kicked the Bees Nest". Loved it also, sorry when it was over. All his books are ebooks and there is on or two movies also. happy Holidays, Syd
sara4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
austinninam
austinninam began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Hello everyone . Just got my Sony reader.
austinninam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #19
patomonk
Enthusiast
patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-950
Astrangerhere, thanks for the recommendations, I will have to check those out. Always looking for something new. Cheers!
patomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #20
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
I'm glad to see most people enjoyed The Woman in White. I'd read it in November as my first Collins and liked it a lot. I also wondered whether Fosco would keep his word; I agree that although he thought highly of honor, he'd done an awful lot of things that were dishonorable already!

Coincidentally, I just finished The Moonstone tonight - I tried it after WiW, and it is written in the same style of multiple first person narrators. A good mystery and not quite as long as WiW.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #21
jamthecat
JamTheCat
jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamthecat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
I read "The Woman In White" years ago, and much of it was a slog. The "mystery" isn't really much of one. Collins is VERY verbose. But that said...there are moments in the book that are purest poetry. I think my favorite one is when Walter has this long preamble of discussion about Laura after learning she has died...and leads up to a simple declaration -- "I loved her." And that hit me right in the gut. And when he sees the woman in white in the graveyard...that spooked me.

It's definitely worth reading if only to see the progression of the mystery-romance novel...but it does tend to go on and on.
jamthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #22
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamthecat View Post
I read "The Woman In White" years ago, and much of it was a slog. The "mystery" isn't really much of one. Collins is VERY verbose. Snip
If I recall, Dickens and Collins both got paid by the word, even when the self-published.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #23
sara4
sara4 began at the beginning.

Device: cruz ereader
next book

Will there be a choice of new books to read soon?
sara4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #24
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara4 View Post
Will there be a choice of new books to read soon?
The vote for January has already taken place, and the winner was The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Thread here. Jump in! I read it before, a long time ago, but I'm really enjoying the re-read!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #25
tomthumb
tomthumb began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Thumbs up

Hello. I am new at this. Allow me some time to get up to speed.
tomthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #26
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I didn't post earlier because it would have been another negative one for me!... but I did intend to ask a question and forgot when the thread was active.

Does anyone know if it is really possible to train canaries?
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote