Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
kindle account

For those of you with a Kindle (which I don't have) and who are willing/able to remove DRM from purchased books: do you feel comfortable carrying those DRM stripped materials on your kindle? Do you turn off the whispernet when your DRM stripped files are on your kindle, and only turn it back on if all material on your kindle is "proper" DRMed content?

If you are comfortable carrying DRM stripped material on your kindle with the whispernet enabled: why?

I'm just curious.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
For those of you with a Kindle (which I don't have) and who are willing/able to remove DRM from purchased books: do you feel comfortable carrying those DRM stripped materials on your kindle? Do you turn off the whispernet when your DRM stripped files are on your kindle, and only turn it back on if all material on your kindle is "proper" DRMed content?

If you are comfortable carrying DRM stripped material on your kindle with the whispernet enabled: why?

I'm just curious.
I only can answer from a theoretical perspective: I've got Kindle 2 and Kindle DX. But I've got the US versions and can't use Whispernet over here in Germany.
But if I could use Whispernet respectively if I ever should buy the international Kindles, I wouldn't have any problems with DRM stripped material on my readers.
If I didn't miss anything new and substantial, the legal situation is quite clear: Amazon (and others) may be able to spy on you (it would be easy for Microsoft, to check your Windows instances for any hacked applications) and maybe they even do. But they can't use it. If they'd give your details to the authorities, they'd have to explain how they've gathered that information. And even if, from a legal perspective, they couldn't be made responsible, they certainly would harm or even kill their own business.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert