Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Ipad and Calibre?

I love Calibre for my Kindle but now that I have taken the "leap" for Ipad, I am wondering if I can convert my books to Epub via Calibre, will Calibre be able to transfer them to Ipad via computer hookup? Luckily all my Amazon purchases should be available through the Kindle app, at least I assume that is the case.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
In Calibre, you can convert any non-drm'd books to epub - which can be viewed in ibooks. You will not be able to get your books directly into ibooks via calibre. You need to add them to your itunes library and sync the ipad to it.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
You will not be able to get your books directly into ibooks via calibre.
Yet... give the calibre boffins a few days and I would be surprised to not see a driver for it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
^Well unless, ibooks supports some other method of loading books (which I don't think it does), I'm not sure what the Calbre folks can do.

Of course they may come up with another way to get your books into your ibooks library, I just doubt you will be able to do it directly from ibooks.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
You can add any non encrypted epub to iTunes and it will show up in your iBooks app but there is no current way to use Calibre with the iPad. Also, Stanza is unviewable on the iPad
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I converted a book to epub with Calibre. Then I just copied that file into iTunes -- then sync'd my ipad....and the book reads just fine. There is no nice "load a book from Calibre over wifi" like I had with Stanza on the iphone.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Is it not possible to Sync your iPad to iTunes over WiFi? I guess you still can't do this with the iPod Touch either...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

I was able to browse via Safari to my calibre + drop box web cloud and download an epub to my iPad. The problem is that it asks to open Stanza and unfortunately, Stanza is fairly unreadable on the iPad. Is there a way for the webbrowser to ask to open up iBooks instead of ePub?

(also the inability to take notes in iBooks is beyond lame).
Old 04-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
da_jane
Evangelist

For some reason, the metadata that calibre allows you to create and add is not recognized by iTunes. The only data that we get from epub to iTunes is Name, Artist (author), and Album (title of the book). Even the tags don't import. I had changed the title of a book and iTunes only recognized the data that came in the pre converted file.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
da_jane
Evangelist

I've come to the realization that if you import epubs into Calibre, change the metadata, in order for the changed metadata to show up, you need to convert again to epub to embed those changes within the epub file. This will allow the changed metadata to show up.

Further, iTunes will only take the first "tag" and make that the "category" for iBooks.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
In regards to getting books from calibre into iTunes, the iTunes Media folder has an "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. Has anyone tried dropping an epub in this folder and seeing if iTunes will import it? (I don't have the latest version of iTunes so I can't try myself.)

Perhaps a "Send to iTunes" feature can be added to calibre that just copies the ebook into this folder and then lets iTunes do the rest.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #12
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Is it not possible to Sync your iPad to iTunes over WiFi? I guess you still can't do this with the iPod Touch either...

BOb
There is no wifi sync. I WISH there was one...
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
elenchusjunkie
elenchusjunkie began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hi,

Hopefully this isn't off-topic.

I'm new to both Calibre and iPad. I'm trying to convert JSTORE PDFs to EPUB so that I can read them on the iPad. (Apple: no native PDF support?!) Anyway, I've gotten the PDFs converted, into iTunes, and synced to the iPad. The "books" show up in iBook, but mysteriously something I've done in the process has interleaved blank pages throughout the book. So, a 10-page PDF becomes a 20-page book, with every other page blank. Very strange (and unattractive).

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
elenchusjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have been experimenting. So far, I can only email PDF's to myself, but they open just fine. So I converted things to PDF and downloaded a bunch of Hugo nominees in PDF, them emailed them.

The $10 for Pages is well worth the money. I can email myself a .doc and it opens like magic, then asks if you want to open it in Pages. Then you can do whatever you want to it inside Pages.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
pdfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I have been experimenting. So far, I can only email PDF's to myself, but they open just fine. So I converted things to PDF and downloaded a bunch of Hugo nominees in PDF, them emailed them.

The $10 for Pages is well worth the money. I can email myself a .doc and it opens like magic, then asks if you want to open it in Pages. Then you can do whatever you want to it inside Pages.
I am a premium Evernote user. I wonder if that will work? Don't know as I am one of the masses waiting for my Ipad/3G to arrive.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion, epub, ipad, kindle