Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
buster
buster began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
non english os, is it the problem?

Is anyone else using a non english OS. I am using Spanish xp home edition, sp2 on my p4 machine. I posted a question about connect software not working and got a prompt reply which bypassed the problem, I now use libprs500. The trouble is that there are so many other issues.

html2lrf cli opens and closes (I thought I couldn't find it but it won't stay open)
BBeBinder detects a problem and shuts down.
firmware update goes through the process but does nothing.
the only one which works is Bookdesigner (great program but can't open html0 help files)

is this normal, could it be something to do with the fact that the reader was never intended for use outside the US so there was no reason to support other languages. I am not sure if is worth putting another partition with English XP or use a virtual machine? Is there another alternative program which can convert word docs or html, including images, to lrf like htmltolrf does? Thanks
buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you say html2lrf opens and closes, how are you trying to run it? html2ltf is a command line program. You need to run it from a command prompt. It has no gui. So if you try double clicking on it won't run.

When you installed Book Designer, did you install the 4.0 version and then upgrade it by copying the files from the upgrade version over then installed files? I don't see why BD would have a problem on a non-Englis OS as the site it's hosted on is in Russian.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
buster

I run it from the start menu- run option. I type in "html2lrf myfile.html" it comes up with parsing file ... which is too quick to read or pause the output. the it simply disappears. BD 4.0 was installed and the update was copied over but I still only have access to the GUI and there is no way of starting the CLI from there. I don't have python installed but I don't know if is needed.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
I run it from the start menu- run option. I type in "html2lrf myfile.html" it comes up with parsing file ... which is too quick to read or pause the output. the it simply disappears. BD 4.0 was installed and the update was copied over but I still only have access to the GUI and there is no way of starting the CLI from there. I don't have python installed but I don't know if is needed.
In order to use html2lrf, you need to open a command prompt and run it from there. Using run will not work.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In order to use html2lrf, you need to open a command prompt and run it from there. Using run will not work.
To elaborate on what Jon said, from the Windows "Start/Run" menu, type "cmd" - this will open a command prompt window. Click on the command prompt window to activate it, then in that window type "html2lrf myfile.html", or whatever. That way you'll see all the output produced by the command, error messages, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But don't forget to go to the directory your html is in. If it is in say d:\books\html then you would type

1. d:
2. cd \books\html

and then type html2lrf and you can see the options. You will have to scroll back to see them all. And now you are ready to go.

html2lrf <options> <filename>
and that's it.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
buster

when you put it like that it seems so simple, thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. It works now. Still would like to look at the html0 files on how to use bookdesigner though.