Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #541
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAURARO View Post
Hi, all done ok but no response with my kindle, is still blocked

Thanks
Ah, I have one of those to explore. If you can wait a few days.

Plugging in the wall charger **does nothing** - not even lights the led.
Leaving it on the charger for a day+ **does nothing** - no change.

I opened it and removed the battery - just to prevent more de-generation.

Will be a few days before I can try running it on an external battery pack.
But for now, it is "deader than dead".
(I.E: Parts)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:04 AM   #542
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Back from vacation.
Here's my version 3.6 mirror:

http://ulozto.net/xg9pKJu2/kubrick-k3-k4-k5-zip
http://ulozto.net/xPDeL7SA/kubrick-k3-zip
http://ulozto.net/xupEyVQT/kubrick-k4-k5-zip
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #543
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@dsmid: Thanks! First post updated.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:25 AM   #544
viragored
Read, read, reader
viragored began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks v much for what looks like a great tool. I'm pretty much new to the innards of computers but I've successfully downloaded the iso file and burnt it to a DVD. Then I booted (eventually, but that's another story) from the DVD and ran Kubrick. So I think I may have a jailbroken Kindle Touch, running 5.3.7. But how can I tell if it all worked?

I've tried loading the collections manager and get an error message that tells me my Kindle is not approved as a development device. And I think I've done all the steps in the 'collections' thread - but I did get an error from the update, which said 'Kindle update not successful, error code 03' (at least, I think from memory that's what it said).

All help will be most welcome!
viragored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #545
viragored
Read, read, reader

Usability suggestion from a newbie: I got confused when presented with a screen telling me that it was normal to flash the main partition, with a changeable space containing a letter 'X'. It wasn't clear to me if the X meant the partition would be flashed (which I didn't want), or would not be flashed. How about a few words to say what effect the X will have - or maybe make the box contents a choice between N (for no) and Y (for yes) to flash the partition?
Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #546
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viragored View Post
Usability suggestion from a newbie: I got confused when presented with a screen telling me that it was normal to flash the main partition, with a changeable space containing a letter 'X'. It wasn't clear to me if the X meant the partition would be flashed (which I didn't want), or would not be flashed. How about a few words to say what effect the X will have - or maybe make the box contents a choice between N (for no) and Y (for yes) to flash the partition?
Hmmm... I don't think I can easily change the display behavior - but IMHO, [X] for checked and [ ] for "unchecked" should be pretty universally understood.

Quote:
Thanks v much for what looks like a great tool. I'm pretty much new to the innards of computers but I've successfully downloaded the iso file and burnt it to a DVD. Then I booted (eventually, but that's another story) from the DVD and ran Kubrick. So I think I may have a jailbroken Kindle Touch, running 5.3.7. But how can I tell if it all worked?
If it went through without errors, it worked.

More specifically: you will be able to install packages published on this site if - and only if - the jailbreak is installed.

Quote:
I've tried loading the collections manager and get an error message that tells me my Kindle is not approved as a development device. And I think I've done all the steps in the 'collections' thread - but I did get an error from the update, which said 'Kindle update not successful, error code 03' (at least, I think from memory that's what it said).

All help will be most welcome!
You didn't install the update.bin correctly. Welcome to the club of people who don't read instructions... SCNR . The correct way of installing update*.bin files is repeated in every single README file contained in the downloads, and it's been repeated hundreds of times here in the forum. Here's the 101st time: Don't restart the Kindle from the settings menu, but update it.

There is a reason why README files are called README.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #547
viragored
Read, read, reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Hmmm... I don't think I can easily change the display behavior - but IMHO, [X] for checked and [ ] for "unchecked" should be pretty universally understood.

If it went through without errors, it worked.

More specifically: you will be able to install packages published on this site if - and only if - the jailbreak is installed.

You didn't install the update.bin correctly. Welcome to the club of people who don't read instructions... SCNR . The correct way of installing update*.bin files is repeated in every single README file contained in the downloads, and it's been repeated hundreds of times here in the forum. Here's the 101st time: Don't restart the Kindle from the settings menu, but update it.

There is a reason why README files are called README.
Hmmmm - I did the home/menu/settings/update bit. I'll try that again though and see what happens. And just for the avoidance of doubt, I did read the readme files and I think I did exactly what they told me. But without a log file I can't be sure. Would it be OK to cut a beginner a little bit of slack? Just a little bit?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #548
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Hmmmm - I did the home/menu/settings/update bit. I'll try that again though and see what happens. And just for the avoidance of doubt, I did read the readme files and I think I did exactly what they told me. But without a log file I can't be sure. Would it be OK to cut a beginner a little bit of slack? Just a little bit?
Well, we're generally pretty patient with newbies here, and you may have realized that the tone of my reply was maybe a bit annoyed, but not really hostile. (and I also repeated the solution, instead of just telling you to RTFM).

It simply gets boring to repeat the same basic stuff over and over, when it's been documented so many times. And there isn't even the shadow of a doubt: If you got error 003, you used "restart" instead of "update". For sure. 100%.

You may have done so accidentally even after having read the instructions, but almost all of the people who ask this question simply didn't bother to read the instructions at all. And that really *is* annoying after a while, don't you agree?

Last edited by ixtab; 08-29-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #549
viragored
Read, read, reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
You may have done so accidentally even after having read the instructions, but almost all of the people who ask this question simply didn't bother to read the instructions at all. And that really *is* annoying after a while, don't you agree?
Yup, I must have hit the wrong key on the second .bin 'cos the first one went in OK. Thanks for your patience - and I'm sorry for having tried it...
Old 08-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #550
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Yup, I must have hit the wrong key on the second .bin 'cos the first one went in OK. Thanks for your patience - and I'm sorry for having tried it...
Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #551
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
I encountered an interesting issue the other day.
Kindle Touch. was jailbroken, then got pushed to 5.3.7

I ran kubrick to re-jailbreak, it ended at "FAILED"
Left me stuck in diagnostic mode.

So then i figured well I'll walk through from the beginning, so I wiped the main partition, let install 5.1.2 and jailbreak it. Then let the Kindle update back up to 5.3.7 and tried again.

Same result. "FAILED" and stuck in diagnostic mode. In both instances didn't check anything un-necessary just install jailbreak. no wipe on the main partition.

Anyone else seen that?
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #552
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilker View Post
Anyone else seen that?
Try this hint to get out of diagnostics mode manually:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...09&postcount=3
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #553
ixtab
(offline)

@jwilker: You still didn't say *exactly* on which screen it fails. Please post a screenshot/photo. In fact, it may be best to make photos of *all* the screens that you see. (Don't ask why, but there is a reason. It's not that I'm suspecting that you are doing something wrong, it's that Kubrick shows slightly different screens depending on its configuration and the state of the Kindle).

Also, how good are you at Linux? Can you help troubleshoot the problem by executing a few commands from the command line of the Kubrick distro? I would like to solve this issue, but I'll need your help. As said, you're the first person to report such a failure, and I honestly don't know what could cause it.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #554
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
Sorry, it failed at the last (I Presume) step. After selected to just jailbreak and no wipe, it goes to the screen saying it'll take some time, then says starting, then failed.

I'll try to go through the process and take some shots, maybe later today.

Ha! No worries, I suspect I'm doing something wrong lol.

Well I'm no Linux expert but can totally monkey in command line commands and repeat the results
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #555
Youtube2301
Youtube2301 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
My Kindle can't debrick

I have everything set up pretty good until the phrase which it flashs my partition. It says wait for 1 to 3 hours( kindle 3), so i let it be. But after finish 24% or so, the program immediately says the flash done, wth?? So of course, my Kindle didn't work. I havent fully recharged it yet, but why didn't it say failed or st? Is that because i havent charged the kindle or other reasons? Thank you.
Youtube2301 is offline   Reply With Quote