Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #1
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Yep. It's official. Sony Reader has "ruined" books for me. A final "review."

So I finally got my replacement Sony Reader in. My first one had a few problems, namely a big FAT reverse-polarity/stuck pixel right in the centre of the screen, and also, the "reset" pinhole button got broken, somehow. It got pushed INTO the system, making the power button all "floppy" (best way to describe that). Somehow, the spring that the power button employs for it to return to place - got broken.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I received my replacement yesterday.

And here's where my tale begins.

I got into bed last night, and whipped it out (the Reader, ahem). I hadn't connected it to my computer; I hadn't charged it; I hadn't used the Connect Software (kind of dreading that, hah!). But I thought to myself, I want to read 1984 , since I haven't yet (yes, yes, I'm a bad person I know).

I enjoyed reading it. I got to page 84, in fact, before my eyes became weary from the chores of the day. Wow, I got sleepy reading an e-book. How did that happen?

Somewhere between page 1 and page 84, I forgot I was using an electronic device. Somewhere between page 1 and page 84, I forgot that I was resting my "book" on the bed and didn't need to hold it open like a traditional book (p-book?). I completely took for granted that the text was "flat" and not curving as when you hold a paperback book open and the book curves around from the pressure of your hands.

I found myself instinctively looking for my bookmark before I closed my eyes and entered dreamland at last, but realized that physical bookmarks, for me at least, are a thing of the past.

This morning, I woke up, and picked up my Reader. Yes, I really hadn't imagined reading almost 100 pages on it last night. Yes, it really was that good.

Perhaps the reason I was so underwhelmed with this e-ink device is because it is so underwhelming. How easy is it to get excited by an electronic black and white page? When was the last time you picked up a book and said, "Wow, this looks like a page?" And this is exactly why the Reader is phenomenal.

And that's really it.

I love it. I'm keeping it. Nobody can pry it away from my hands. I'll be enjoying more of 1984 tonight, and perhaps, at some point, I'll get around to putting some of my own books on it, at which point the reading activity can only get more enjoyable, right?
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I've been working my way through my book collection now quite quickly since I'm off work on medical leave. I can't see me switching back to paper any time soon. Reading on it is so natural you just don't think about it.

One thing I'd really like to see made is a remote control (wired or RF) for changing the page. I've got so used to propping up the reader and getting comfortable that it's become a chore to move my arm to press the page button. It's lazy I know but still, it'd be a nice idea.

Last edited by ultim8fury; 10-26-2006 at 03:28 PM.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG
When was the last time you picked up a book and said, "Wow, this looks like a page?" And this is exactly why the Reader is phenomenal.
Yup, that's it exactly, you've nicely summed up the beauty and the beast of the thing all at once.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I enjoyed your review very much, and how true! Maybe the best technologies are those that enhance our lives but 'disappear' into the background of day-to-day experiences.
You know, with so much video bling-bling zipping around nowadays there really is something satisfying in plain ol' boring black print.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG
So I finally got my replacement Sony Reader in. My first one had a few problems, namely a big FAT reverse-polarity/stuck pixel right in the centre of the screen, and also, the "reset" pinhole button got broken, somehow.
Congrats on getting one without a stuck pixel! I was pullin' for ya!

tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #6
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Your title threw me at first - I though you meant it had ruined the experience for you and you were giving up on it. How nice to see I was mistaken.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:17 PM   #7
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
I'm so glued to my Reader......it's propped up against the sink when I brush my teeth in the morning. Colleagues at work tease me about staring at it as I walk down the hall for coffee in the mornings

So many places where I can prop it up and not need a hand keeping a book open!
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:30 PM   #8
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
This is so addictive it probably will be ban! ^_^
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:01 AM   #9
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Just picked mine up ... 55 minutes ago, lol. The display looks awesome. Installed the Connect software on my PC, wish I didn't have to... getting my Gutenberg reading list ready to load onto it. I loaded one txt book just to see how it looked, it looks fine... looking forward to my next flight for the first time in years... As a fellow with a constantly growing (and already huge) library, I can't begin to tell you how much I like this thing already. Sony - add text search and I'll be in heaven...
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:17 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy
Your title threw me at first - I though you meant it had ruined the experience for you and you were giving up on it. How nice to see I was mistaken.
Same here! Hey you should write thrillers!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:24 AM   #11
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
I agree. The reading experience is completely transparent. There are fewer words on a single page than there are in a regular p-book which increases the frequency of paging. This, in turn, gives the reading experience more "momentum".
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:40 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, that's a positive view of it, Laurens, good show!

And yes, you got me with your title too, WilliamG.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:34 AM   #13
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

I really love this thing too.

At the office sometimes I read at my desk. I can just leave it sitting flat and read it perfectly. The amazing thing is that it is so unassuming, nobody even notices it. It blends into a office of pdas and cell phones real well. It looks like it's a tool I'm using to get work done, but it's not. Imagine if I had a big fat scifi novel sitting there. I would get eyed immediately cause that is something u bring to the beach with u, not to the office. I used to bring a novel and keep it hidden in my pants and read it when I went to the bathroom. This thing is really gold.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

sfrenald - lol, great post! This stealth use had never occured to me. And the novel hidden in pants is great. Of course I work in a library and so books are not so out of place (never time to read though! )
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #15
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

Device: Rocket eBook, Gemstar, and Kindle 3
Luckily I am allowed to read at work (I work in a financial services call center and depending on the time of year we can have fifteen minutes between calls). It's a slow time of year right now and it would be unbearable if I couldn't read. I can have as many as 10 books going at once, switching depending on my mood. How in the world could I do that with physical books? I love my Sony.
mollybo is offline   Reply With Quote