Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
iphone 3.0 to allow purchases within apps but only paid ones

iPhone firmware 3.0 will allow purchases of additional content from within an app, but only a paid app. The example of additional content included ebooks, but the stipulation that it be a paid app, would mean that the Amazon Kindle app would have to be a paid app to add the amazon bookstore within the app, which sucks. I mean, who wants to pay additional money so they can access a store?

I wonder if they added that stipulation just to spite Amazon. Of course, why Amazon doesn't allow digital content to be downloaded from their mobile site is beyond me.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by palex481 View Post
I wonder if they added that stipulation just to spite Amazon. Of course, why Amazon doesn't allow digital content to be downloaded from their mobile site is beyond me.
Well, amazon could sell the Kindle app for $.01 right? To get around this.

That said, I don't think Amazon wants to give 30% of their ebook sales revenue to Apple... I'm pretty sure they will keep it as it is.

Although, the new APIs may allow them to contact their store from within the app without using the Apple App Store at all.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well that is true. I forgot about the 30% split. That still exists... So Amazon wouldn't do this regardless. But for other ebook apps it might be valuable.

Also I don't think you can price an app $.01, I think $.99 is the lowest possible price. I doubt apple would want to do the math for 70% of .01 transactions.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
I hope Classics won't come up with a "Classics Pro" version just to charge for new content!
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote