Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-11-2008, 01:24 AM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Tired of Hunting for Books (LONG WINDED)

Ok, THis may not go here but if not Please Move it,
I am sick of trying to hunt down Books, In my quest to find the perfect device I have downloaded and tried all the conversion software to become familiar with the process and have a nice library to start with when I make a purchase. I was looking at a Sony PRS 505 and Kindle, With the recent announcement of Fictionwise ereader app for the Iphone I was intrigued for several reason. Which I will list later. Now here lies my frustration, I was pretty much satisfied with the content availability for both the Sony and Kindle either natively or via conversion. Now while looking for ereader formated books I am really disappointed in the lack of selection. Several of the same title widely available in almost all other formats were no where to be found is ereader a Declining format? I was under the assumption that it was a very well supported one. I still hope that Adobe DE will come to both the Iphone and PRS 505 that will simplify things. Now for my reasoning for the iphone.

1. I need a phone
2. I need an Ipod
3. I need a Reader

Now I know you are thinking that the Iphone is not the best solution for Number 3, But think of it this way. I will need a phone when I get back, also I have discovered how to put the Kids entire DVD collection into Itunes allowing me to take all their movies with us on trips and never have to worry about where we put a certain DVD. So the Iphone will allow this just plug it into the DVD player in the car and Presto any movie anytime no Disc required. But the best reason is that by getting an Iphone and using it for a reader now allows me time to see if 1. Sony moves to epub/Adobe DE support. 2. I might be able to see what the Kindle 2.0 will feature. I Look at it as a perfect interim solution until first of the year that will hold me over until the dust settles on some of the Ebook issues to date.

Let the Great Debate begin!

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I say flip a 3 sided-coin and be done with it.

No, really, I'm sorry choosing is such a pain for you. We usually want more choice but I guess there can be too much choice. Especially with new readers seeming to pop up all over the place.

Good luck with your choice and I promise to forgive you if you don't buy a Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2008, 01:36 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
iphone reader

I haven't seen that one. (too busy downloading books and lurking /posting here)

But my question to you is....how comfortable is it reading one? Is the screen big enough? Is it backlit and will it cause eye strain after extensive reading? Easy to download books? Can you and your wife share?

I can certainly understand the need for all three in one if those are your interests.

Hope you find what you need soon. You've certainly put a lot of effort and research into it!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:13 AM   #4
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I say flip a 3 sided-coin and be done with it.

No, really, I'm sorry choosing is such a pain for you. We usually want more choice but I guess there can be too much choice. Especially with new readers seeming to pop up all over the place.

Good luck with your choice and I promise to forgive you if you don't buy a Kindle.
Deb, It is more of a two part problem for me Price and Longevity, If I am going to make that kind of investment I want to make sure I will be able to enjoy it years down the road even if I upgrade to a new device. And I believe that rests with the Format not necessarily with the Device. And Honestly I think I will go with the Kindle for several reasons but most importantly I would never make you mad! And to be honest in the past I have never had problem making a decision on a product before, (Heck I have bought Houses in less than a week of looking.)However I think because of that, I have chosen poorly on a few things that ended up with no support and a failed format. That is why the caution now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I haven't seen that one. (too busy downloading books and lurking /posting here)

But my question to you is....how comfortable is it reading one? Is the screen big enough? Is it backlit and will it cause eye strain after extensive reading? Easy to download books? Can you and your wife share?

I can certainly understand the need for all three in one if those are your interests.

Hope you find what you need soon. You've certainly put a lot of effort and research into it!
DG, I was not planning on using the Iphone as my primary Reader for longer than necessary, I was just hoping for some enlightenment from Sony on the next firmware update or Maybe a Kindle 2.0 since it is getting close the 1 year anniversary. As for the sharing, Gadgets have always been a solo endeavor for me. No worries there although I was planning a nice stocking stuffer for her to compliment whatever I buy. She doesn't like when I surprise her, For instance She really likes a certain TV personality that comes to Disney once in a blue moon, So I got her a round trip ticket, Rental car, Hotel the whole package and she is leaving today. SHe was mad she said I spent my Reader budget on her, I laughed because she didnt know I sold an old laptop to cover it. But I am getting off track her see what you ladies made me do.

JJ
Old 07-11-2008, 02:20 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
"DG, I was not planning on using the Iphone as my primary Reader for longer than necessary, I was just hoping for some enlightenment from Sony on the next firmware update or Maybe a Kindle 2.0 since it is getting close the 1 year anniversary. As for the sharing, Gadgets have always been a solo endeavor for me. No worries there although I was planning a nice stocking stuffer for her to compliment whatever I buy. She doesn't like when I surprise her, For instance She really likes a certain TV personality that comes to Disney once in a blue moon, So I got her a round trip ticket, Rental car, Hotel the whole package and she is leaving today. SHe was mad she said I spent my Reader budget on her, I laughed because she didnt know I sold an old laptop to cover it. But I am getting off track her see what you ladies made me do."

You're a good person. salud!

Last edited by desertgrandma; 07-11-2008 at 02:21 AM. Reason: spelling and quotation marks
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

You're a good person. salud!
[/QUOTE]

DG I forgot to mention my Mother-in-Law wasnt thrilled about babysitting my 3 kids!!! I love doing that to her!
Now if I can just stay away from Deb's Kindle... But I want to push those buttons, and play with the scroll wheel...

JJ

Last edited by jerryleejr; 07-11-2008 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:43 AM   #7
tINmOUSE
(stand in: rOBOTmINION)
tINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watch

Device: none yet. Waiting for Mentor.
Forget formats for the moment. Have you tried trying to find a particular authors work (all in the same place?).

ok ok... so he (in this case - Charles Stross) changes publishers mid-series (as far as I can tell) but I was crying in frustration!

(well very nearly - I would have had I followed the impulse to do 'very bad things' to my LCD monitor).
Click image for larger version

Name:	windows.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	14272

Hmm the other thing using a mobile phone would be battery issues. How long with the LCD screen 'active' could you read for? On the gripping hand it is rather cool.

(hmmm. need a new phone... hmmm)

Last edited by tINmOUSE; 07-11-2008 at 06:34 AM.
tINmOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:04 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I own an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone) and personally I wouldn't want to use it as my primary eBook reader. The screen is too small, and the battery life too short. On the other hand it makes a GREAT portable video player, and that's what I bought it for.

To the original poster - you can use iTunes on a notebook PC and store your childrens' DVDs that way without needing an iPod/iPhone. The iPhone doesn't really have enough memory to use it for serious video storage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINmOUSE View Post
Forget formats for the moment. Have you tried trying to find a particular authors work (all in the same place?).
ok ok... so he (in this case - Charles Stross) changes publishers mid-series (as far as I can tell) but I was crying in frustration!
(well very nearly - I would have had I followed the impulse to do 'very bad things' to my LCD monitor).
Hmm the other thing using a mobile phone would be battery issues. How long with the LCD screen 'active' could you read for? On the gripping hand it is rather cool.
(hmmm. need a new phone... hmmm)
I have found almost every book that I am interested in at either the Sony or Kindle store, So I really was about to flip a coin on which one of those two devices to get, Needing a new phone, I have been without a Cell phone for almost a year because I am in an area that has no coverage, So When I get back I will be buying a phone regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I own an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone) and personally I wouldn't want to use it as my primary eBook reader. The screen is too small, and the battery life too short. On the other hand it makes a GREAT portable video player, and that's what I bought it for.
To the original poster - you can use iTunes on a notebook PC and store your childrens' DVDs that way without needing an iPod/iPhone. The iPhone doesn't really have enough memory to use it for serious video storage.
I never intended the Iphone to be my primary Reader just an interim for the next few months. Also in the Car is not an ideal place for the kids to be messing with a notebook, besides they really are not old enough to be trusted not to fight over it. I was just going to plug the Iphone into the RCA jacks on the DVD system. I think 16GB is big enough for 10 of their movies or so depending on the length of the trip, I would have my MacBook Pro with me to change it up for the return trip if necessary. Plus with the WIFI I could theoretically have the laptop on say in the back or passengers seat and just import more movies if need be.

JJ
Old 07-11-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, if you have a laptop to transfer movies from, that obviously solves the problem!

It's a shame there isn't a 32GB version of the iPhone; I have the 32GB "Touch" and the additional space is very useful indeed for video.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #11
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, if you have a laptop to transfer movies from, that obviously solves the problem!

It's a shame there isn't a 32GB version of the iPhone; I have the 32GB "Touch" and the additional space is very useful indeed for video.
That was one of my predictions before the 3G Iphone was announced and when the 32GB Ipod Touch rolled out I was sure that the new Iphone would match it but I think someone on this board actually pointed out the chipsets were different and the Ipod Touch uses 2 16GB where the Iphone uses only one slot. I dont know I just buy them I dont make them.

JJ
Old 07-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post

Now if I can just stay away from Deb's Kindle... But I want to push those buttons, and play with the scroll wheel...

JJ
All right, already! I'm hoping on a plane! Where the heck I'm I going?

Isn't there some "base where you are stationed" internet grapevine where you can ask if anyone nearby has a Kindle? I've seen quite a few military people posting about buying them.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote