Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Nameless Being

gen 3 not recognized by computer

Hi. I have a gen 3 that I've had for a few years. I was deleting files from the sd card and when I unplugged the gen 3 it wouldn't load up the library. I reset and turned it on again and now it's stuck on the first page. It won't turn off unless I reset. It won't move past the first page. I removed the sd card, same behavior. The light keeps flashing every few seconds. Seems to me the files have become corrupted. My computer is not recognizing the reader so I can't do anything with it. Can anyone tell me how to get the computer to see the cybook?? Thanks.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
Flinx
Connoisseur
Flinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Cybook Muse Frontlight, Cybook Odyssey
Maybe you have to reflash the firmware.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Cybo...e_Library_Page
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinx View Post
Maybe you have to reflash the firmware.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Cybo...e_Library_Page
I tried that but it didn't help. It never finished and I had to reset.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Have you tried making a firmware update?
And is the Gen3 fully charged (best with a wall charger)?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Have you tried making a firmware update?
And is the Gen3 fully charged (best with a wall charger)?
I tried reinstalling the firmware, is that what you're talking about?? I tried both the adobe and mobi versions. it doesn't finish and I have to reset to turn it off. it was fully charged when this first happened. it's spent some time on since but should still be nearly full. the files seem to be corrupted, it's getting stuck on the first page and the computer doesn't see it so I can't access it.
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I don't think that your Gen3 has a battery problem I just wanted exclude the possibility that a low battery worsens its problems.
Have you tried all the other activities of helplessness like using another usb-cable or another usb-port or another computer to connect with? Or tried the update with another sd-card?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I don't think that your Gen3 has a battery problem I just wanted exclude the possibility that a low battery worsens its problems.
Have you tried all the other activities of helplessness like using another usb-cable or another usb-port or another computer to connect with? Or tried the update with another sd-card?
The problem is that somehow, when I was deleting files off the sd card, it managed to mess up something on the cybook's drive. The cybook will not proceed to load beyond the first page. The light keeps blinking every few seconds. It's stuck. My computer is not seeing it there when I hook it up. It is getting stuck before the point in the loading that the computer can see it's there. I need to know if there's a way to make the computer see it so I can do something with it. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:08 AM   #8
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
Have you tried doing a hard reset? Disconnect the battery, leave it for a while, then reconnect the battery. Do not switch on the device, but plug it into a wall charger and let it recharge until full, then try and start it up again.

I'm not saying this will fix the problem, but it's something you may not have yet tried.

Also, when you were deleting books off the SD card, did you by any chance unplug the Gen 3 from the USB without doing a safe removal?

--Jan.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
Have you tried doing a hard reset? Disconnect the battery, leave it for a while, then reconnect the battery. Do not switch on the device, but plug it into a wall charger and let it recharge until full, then try and start it up again.

I'm not saying this will fix the problem, but it's something you may not have yet tried.

Also, when you were deleting books off the SD card, did you by any chance unplug the Gen 3 from the USB without doing a safe removal?

--Jan.
Hi. I tried your suggestion but it is still the same.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1054 View Post
The problem is that somehow, when I was deleting files off the sd card, it managed to mess up something on the cybook's drive. The cybook will not proceed to load beyond the first page. The light keeps blinking every few seconds. It's stuck. ...
I experienced just the same (blinking light, Gen3 starting all over again).
I reinstalled the firmware several times, but to no avail.

I then hooked it up to the serial port and had a little look into it.
What I found out, was, that there was some CRC error in the internal file system and the system was unable to start the booreader application.

When I wanted to hook it up to the serial again, some time later, I managed to crack the screen, so that was that. I still wonder, if it would have been possible to fix the filesystem. I did like the Gen3 a lot.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
I experienced just the same (blinking light, Gen3 starting all over again).
I reinstalled the firmware several times, but to no avail.

I then hooked it up to the serial port and had a little look into it.
What I found out, was, that there was some CRC error in the internal file system and the system was unable to start the booreader application.

When I wanted to hook it up to the serial again, some time later, I managed to crack the screen, so that was that. I still wonder, if it would have been possible to fix the filesystem. I did like the Gen3 a lot.
Hi. I have no idea how to hook it up to the serial port. Can you please give easy step by step instructions? If I could access the drive, I could reformat and reinstall the system files and firmware. But I can't do anything if I can't access the drive. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #12
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
This is not so easy. If you never did this kind of thing, I seriously recommend not to do this, you very easily might brick the device or break something (as happened to me). You also need some extra equipment.
If you want the device fixed, I' rather contact bookeen about it.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote