Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur
ViktorShchedrin began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Error communicating with device - using PC Windows XP SP3

Hi ! PC 2Gb RAM XP SP3; Calibre 0.7.45; authors about 6000 books about 22000; job = get list of books on device; worked 109m35s; unfinished with error message - ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device No details available.

Calibre still works, can search, moving thru authors, books, able to open books. what i did wrong ? any advice please...
ViktorShchedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
hard13
Enthusiast
hard13 began at the beginning.

Device: none
what device do you use?
hard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try the next release, it has various optimizations to speed up device connection with large libraries
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur

no device, only PC itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard13 View Post
what device do you use?
sorry, forgot to mention - PC itself, no devices connected, just simple PC 2Gb RAM Celeron 1,8 500 Gb hard drive free space about 140Gb, Calibre library about 23Gb
Old 02-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
hard13
Enthusiast
hard13 began at the beginning.

Device: none
it could be hardware problem or system problem, maybe this thread will help you..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121633

glad to help
hard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur

0.7.46 and the PC with a 22000 books library...

Hi Kovid, hard13

thanks for the 0.7.46 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121633

i know about Memtest86 etc, my current desktop is about 6 year old, HDD 1/2 year old, free disk space about 125Gb, no problem with hardware, i suppose.

sorry for many details - i think may be it will help to understand problem - library folder - total about 22000 ebooks authors 6500 - 10054 epubs 11536 lit 1472 mobi files about 23 Gb disk space, metadata.db about 23Mb have duplicates, i have not idea how to sort everything by batch, only 4000 have isbn.

Preferences:
- excluded both Calibre library folder and Calibre folder from anti-virus scanning
- lower calibre job priority to low

the result of the Calibre run
98 mins 36 sec
Error communicating with device
Runtime error
Calibre crashed

faster than previous version about 10% - 54% 51m22s 62% 59m09s 72% 69m32s ( my last test - yesterday -0.7.45 - 109m35s 100% job finished and Runtime error shown and crashed )

start again
command line "calibredb restore_database --really-do-it"
memory usage from 57Mb to folder J 124Mb folder P 176Mb and folder Z 200Mb, updating database memory usage starts from 200Mb and used no more than 220Mb, 15% - 225Mb 20% 232Mb 25% 239Mb 38% 255 43% 262Mb 50% 274Mb 57% 281Mb 65% 286Mb 75% 298Mb 95% 323Mb 99% 358Mb (about 1,0-1,4Mb per 1% inreased linearly i think), cpu usage between 2-8% up to 60%, total work time about 4 hours ( or more precisely - 228 mins) - crashed -

Restoring database failed with error
Traceback ( most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\restore.py", line 105, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\library\restore.py", line 231, in replace_db
WindowsError: [Error 2]

questions, sorry -
1) can i stop the job ? - "get list of books on device" before to start Calibre usual way ? some editing of Calibre config file or so ?
2) and start job "get list of books on device" manually ? restart Calibre after edit the config ?
3) may be good idea to have comand line exe for the job "get list of books on device" ?
4) what wrong with command line "calibredb restore_database --really-do-it" ?

any advice - many thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur

i should add

i should add

1) i read
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103266&highlight=restore.py

but did not try to add manually or manipulate with restore.py

2) i istalled Calibre into the folder C:\Calibre, not to the ProgramFiles etc

3) i can't find restore.py neither C:\Calibre or D:\Calibre.Library. I do not understand the path "site-packages\calibre\library\restore.py" cause i see C:\Calibre\Lib folder and can't see C:\Calibre\library\ neither Documents and Settings\Admins\Calibre folders...

thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm confused what are you trying to do? Are you trying to use connect to fodler to connect to your calibre library?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur

just trying to use Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm confused what are you trying to do? Are you trying to use connect to fodler to connect to your calibre library?
Hi Kovid,

sorry my may be unclear description ot the situation. i just trying to use Calibre. Everything was fine till Feb 17 when Calibre library was about 10000 books. I added additional 11536 -ebooks lit format, added by Calibre ADD function - and total ebooks exceed 22000 in the Calibre library. After add - i can't use Calibre cause job "get list of books on device" started everytime when i start Calibre and ... as decribed in my first and other posts this thread.

by the way laptop Calibre collection 10000 ebook works fine and did not started job "get list of books on device"

both case - desktop and laptop - NO reader connected, just comp itself.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you have no reader connected, how are you getting a get books on device job starting?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #11
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur

job "get list of books on device"

once again, may be it was described unclear

I do not do anything and do not run the job "get list of books on device" manually - I just to start the Calibre and then see that the Calibre start the job "get device information" and next job "get list of books on device"

The laptop Calibre did not start "get device information" and - further - did not start job "get list of books on device"...

both Calibre - desktop and laptop - installed C:\Calibre and both library folder D:\Lib.Calibre

is it magic ?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Perhaps the tweak auto_connect_to_folder is set?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You have the tweak to auto connect to a folder set. Go to the calibre config directory and delete the file tweaks.py
Old 02-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur

device

Quote:
If you have no reader connected, how are you getting a get books on device job starting?
i see the Calibre main menu difference - desktop Calibre has DEVICE, laptop - has not

but i swear - no device connected... sometimes of course i conected my sony prs during last days but not permanently of course...

may be i need to uninstall Calibre completely, clear registry and install Calibre again ? if i do it, will i able to use my old - yesterday created - metadata.db with 22000 ebooks ?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #15
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur

now OK !

Quote:
You have the tweak to auto connect to a folder set. Go to the calibre config directory and delete the file tweaks.py
MANY thanks !