Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #61
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Minor rant. I hate ordering risotto in a restaurant and it comes out 5 minutes after I've ordered. There is no way it's been properly done... Grumblemutterkidstodayetcandso-on
I ordered risotto at Olive Garden and got a rice plus mushrooms plus parmesan dish. I complained to the waiter that it was in no way risotto. He went to the kitchen and came back to tell me that "risotto" was the Italian word for rice. I told him that it was false advertising for them to call their dish risotto since it was not prepared properly. Needless to say, I picked at my meal and left only a token tip. (In the USA, waiters are paid a bare fraction of the minimum wage -- a money-saving scheme by the restaurant industry. Allows them to keep more of the revenue as profit instead of paying the help appropriately.)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #62
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I ordered risotto at Olive Garden and got a rice plus mushrooms plus parmesan dish. I complained to the waiter that it was in no way risotto. He went to the kitchen and came back to tell me that "risotto" was the Italian word for rice. I told him that it was false advertising for them to call their dish risotto since it was not prepared properly. Needless to say, I picked at my meal and left only a token tip. (In the USA, waiters are paid a bare fraction of the minimum wage -- a money-saving scheme by the restaurant industry. Allows them to keep more of the revenue as profit instead of paying the help appropriately.)
Olive Garden. Ick! My wife loves their eggplant parmesan so I take her there a few times a year. I always pore over the menu trying to find something - anything - that isn't disgusting. I have failed every time. I think the water there is okay. I'm hoping that Sears/K-mart/GM/Microsoft buys them and they all can go down the toilet together some day.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #63
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Gotta agree with Elsi and doggie.......Olive Garden does suck.

They try to pass themselves off at such a high end place to eat, but the food is awful. Here, the prices are high, portions are pathetic, service is abysmal.

Needless to say, we no longer patronize the place.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #64
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I prefer sweet popcorn....
Mmm, Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs. So, incredibly, deliciously sweet that for me they're like Instant Migraine In A Packet (just add stomach acid). Arrggllll.... (*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Marmite is made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing, and is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.

Oh. My. God. Does it taste anything like peanut butter?
No....good gods, no. Peanut butter is about as close to Marmite as gently stroking a cat's back is like waking up with its tail in your mouth.

Quote:
What would you compare it to?
Shit-on-a-shingle. Crap-on-a-cracker. Poop-soup. Not that I've ever eaten any of these things (though there was that coffee shop we visited once because it was so close to our house in Sydney...), but, ignoring everything that anyone else has said, Marmite can be compared to many things, barely any of them food-related, though the closest one is a "food" (in a similar fashion), and that's Vegemite.

Quote:
As LazyScott said, it really is a love or hate thing.

It's a bit like a less sweet version of vegemite, but that will undoubtedly only help any Australians in the Llounge.
It's no help. I've tried both, and, at the risk of being excommunicated from the Church of Bruce, Bruce & Bruce, Woolloomooloo Diocese, they both are vile muck literally scraped from the bottom of the (beer) barrel (well, okay, I'm ironically being rather loose with the word "literally").

It's funny, but no-one ever mentions Promite. Oddly, I don't mind Promite (though I think it's the sweetness - more "molasses" hints - that does it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I ordered risotto at Olive Garden and got a rice plus mushrooms plus parmesan dish.
Sails Restaurant used to do a wonderful, sweet breakfast "risotto", with almond-slivers, honey-drizzle and coconut-cream. ~sigh~ That was rather yum.

Cheers,
Marc
(* Yes, on occasion, temptation beats migraine-fear)

Last edited by montsnmags; 12-09-2008 at 08:56 PM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #65
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Scene: Plane crash in Andes. Amongst the survivors are a group of somewhat silly liseuse users.

"I've a book on making snow shelters on mine somewhere."

"And I've a survival guide...."

"There's a how to convert your kindle to a radio beacon..."

"And this is a guide to safe fungi to eat...."
I do have the Geneva Conventions and an OSS sabotage manual on mine.
I'd have to remove them before crossing any border, I think.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:07 AM   #66
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Sails Restaurant used to do a wonderful, sweet breakfast "risotto", with almond-slivers, honey-drizzle and coconut-cream. ~sigh~ That was rather yum.

Cheers,
Marc
(* Yes, on occasion, temptation beats migraine-fear)
Thast sounds positively perverted
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #67
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I make a French onion soup with marmite instead of beef stock when vegetarians come round for supper. It works very well. In fact, several of my non-vegetarian friends actually prefer the marmite verion.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #68
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm. against my better judgement the pro-marmiters may actually convince me to try marmite as a soupe base one day.

i imagine i could probably get some in the shop next to the pub (the one on the canal, where we had a drink, patricia).

what is the smallest size of it ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #69
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm not sure, Zelda. But if I come to the next apero, then I could bring you a small pot.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #70
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I'm not sure, Zelda. But if I come to the next apero, then I could bring you a small pot.
let's not be hasty. i'm still not quite convinced. but i do appreciate the offer.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #71
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Ah, I am a vegetarian myself (love fish, though) and I know that there is some great veggie stock (from vegetables) around anyway.

So no Marmite for me, thank you very much!

PS: Hopefully you will be able to make it!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #72
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Maybe Marmite was always intended to be an 'addition' to soups, etc, and people mistakenly started using it as a spread?

Just asking.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #73
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Ah, I am a vegetarian myself (love fish, though) and I know that there is some great veggie stock (from vegetables) around anyway.

So no Marmite for me, thank you very much!

PS: Hopefully you will be able to make it!
As well as being delicious, Marmite is a good source of vitamin B12 for veggies.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #74
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
As well as being delicious, Marmite is a good source of vitamin B12 for veggies.
hmm... sliding back towards giving it a try...
Old 12-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #75
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The thing is, if you mix pnut butter into fudge, it makes it even better.

What would happen if you mix marmite into fudge?

And by the way, I thought you guys were talking about big hairy asian rodents for a couple of posts there.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote