Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Is the "Novelist, short story writer" in my signature snobby?

It seemed somebody in another forum was giving me a hard time about it (although I couldn't figure out why). I just meant the 'Novelist, short story writer' bit in my signature to identify what type (as opposed to non-fiction) of writer I am.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I don't think so. As you said you're just trying to prevent confusion over what type of writing you do. One thing I learned long ago (and it's something I'm sure you already know) you can't please everyone no matter what you do. If you took it out of your signature you would probably get complaints from those who wanted to know why you didn't indicate what type of writing you do. It's a no win situation.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
If that's what you do, i don't think it's snobby. I would say that the person with status issues is your accuser.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
If the designation is relevant to the site in question, then no, it's not snobby at all. Here at MR, we have a mix of readers and writers discussing things about books and such things in a signature are both relevant and welcome. (However, you might want to limit your links - while I believe your sig is within the size limit, it looks a bit unwieldy. Just my opinion, of course.)

If the designation is not relevant to the site in question, it can be seen as off-topic marketing. In fact, some forums / discussion sites do not have a signature function because they specifically do not want people "tagging" their posts with such things.

My advice is to see what the tone about this sort of thing seems to be on various sites. What do the regulars do? Are such signatures commonly used that way there?

If by "another forum" you meant a different sub-forum here on MR... well, there are far worse signatures here than yours, and some people actually appreciate knowing when someone is a writer. I plan to make note of it once I get around to publishing.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
It seemed somebody in another forum was giving me a hard time about it (although I couldn't figure out why). I just meant the 'Novelist, short story writer' bit in my signature to identify what type (as opposed to non-fiction) of writer I am.
I have been sliding into scripts the last 2 years, and of course studying them. Just testing the waters mainly and helping out a friend. Anyway, from the "Bourne Legacy" (# 4 in series)

Outcome #3: Seriously, man, you think too much.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Now, if you said "Best-selling author of life-altering literature," that might be pushing it. But I don't think your current signature is "snobby." Keep it -- you can't please everybody.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Now, if you said "Best-selling author of life-altering literature," that might be pushing it. But I don't think your current signature is "snobby." Keep it -- you can't please everybody.
What if it was true? Maybe he is...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
J. Garrett
Enthusiast
J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, 6" E-Ink
As long as it's what you do and it's matter-of-fact, then I don't see what the problem is. Now, don't put something like "amazing author of some of the greatest epic fantasy stories ever written!!" or something grandiose like that.
J. Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks crich

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I don't think so. As you said you're just trying to prevent confusion over what type of writing you do. One thing I learned long ago (and it's something I'm sure you already know) you can't please everyone no matter what you do. If you took it out of your signature you would probably get complaints from those who wanted to know why you didn't indicate what type of writing you do. It's a no win situation.
Makes sense.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by barutanseijin View Post
If that's what you do, i don't think it's snobby. I would say that the person with status issues is your accuser.
thanks barutanseijin.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
If the designation is relevant to the site in question, then no, it's not snobby at all. Here at MR, we have a mix of readers and writers discussing things about books and such things in a signature are both relevant and welcome. (However, you might want to limit your links - while I believe your sig is within the size limit, it looks a bit unwieldy. Just my opinion, of course.)

If the designation is not relevant to the site in question, it can be seen as off-topic marketing. In fact, some forums / discussion sites do not have a signature function because they specifically do not want people "tagging" their posts with such things.

My advice is to see what the tone about this sort of thing seems to be on various sites. What do the regulars do? Are such signatures commonly used that way there?

If by "another forum" you meant a different sub-forum here on MR... well, there are far worse signatures here than yours, and some people actually appreciate knowing when someone is a writer. I plan to make note of it once I get around to publishing.
Yeah, it was on another sub-forum here. (No biggie,though.) And I think you're right about the signature (it used to be even longer!). I'm going to cut it down. (And maybe I'll have room for a quote.) As for the lengthy signature, I think I was just getting involved in all those sites and figured it was the thing to do to add them to my signature. (I'm calming down!) Thanks.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I have been sliding into scripts the last 2 years, and of course studying them. Just testing the waters mainly and helping out a friend. Anyway, from the "Bourne Legacy" (# 4 in series)

Outcome #3: Seriously, man, you think too much.
Not sure exactly what your're saying here but it made me laugh. (And I agree I think too much!) Thanks.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Thanks cromag. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

It is possible, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
What if it was true? Maybe he is...
Thanks Vydor.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Garrett View Post
As long as it's what you do and it's matter-of-fact, then I don't see what the problem is. Now, don't put something like "amazing author of some of the greatest epic fantasy stories ever written!!" or something grandiose like that.
I agree. Thanks for getting back to me.

Gregg Bell
(Author of the some of the greatest epic fantasy stories ever written!!)