Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Netflix Version 1.5.0 Works!!!!

Got a tip in another thread from the magnificent Cypherslock that the older version of Netflix works with our Voxes. It's all over the Android forums. So, this is what I did:

1. Search for Netflix 1.5.0 android (NOT v 1.5.1 - it won't work) and apktop
2. You should get a result: www.apktop.com/netflix-1-5-0.html or something similar to this link.
3. Download app.
4. Install (may ask you if you want to overwrite your current installation - it did for me - I said 'yes'.
5. Run
6. Enjoy!

*NOTE* You will get some annoying messages here and there asking you if you want to upgrade to the next version. I just cancel these. I am not sure if this can be disabled?

TEST!
I just re-watched the pilot to The Walking Dead (released on Netflix recently!) and it was flawless. The audio did get out of synch when I fast forwarded, but it got back on track again.

Tested out the headphone jack, too. Sound was flawless!

Last edited by pokee; 11-05-2011 at 01:30 AM.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
So the older version is working for Canadians? I had assumed we would need the new version for that capability. Very cool to see it working. That is something we would love around here.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
...and if you set up a VPN (I recommend www.hidemyass.com/vpn), you can see US content from the same account.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Karma is always nice
Old 11-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Yeah, just discovered this. Super neat. As mentioned, with DNS proxying you can view the American selection.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Annibronte
Enthusiast
Annibronte has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3,Kobo Vox
That would make it worth getting netflix!
Annibronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
cypherslock
Groupie

Don't know how I got so much so fast, but thanks for the karma! Here's hoping we can find even more ways to make the Vox kick more ass.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
With the VPN (as long as the IP address is in the US) you get the US version of Netflix, without, you get the Canadian one. Same userid to log in to Netflix, it's the VPN that determines what you get.
If you want a faster/safer VPN to watch stuff on your computer/boxee/iPad/iTouch etc. as well try Witopia. For $40 a year you'll get IP addresses in multiple locations across the globe and also be able to watch Hulu, TV.com, and other US TV on 2 devices at the same time, including the Vox...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
Alans
Connoisseur
Alans began at the beginning.

Do you post that large url in the browser search box to get netflix?
Alans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
Yeah, just discovered this. Super neat. As mentioned, with DNS proxying you can view the American selection.
Have you figured out how to get the VPN working? I have tried pptp and L2tp over ipsec and nothing works (witopia). No success with their support yet.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #11
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Have you figured out how to get the VPN working? I have tried pptp and L2tp over ipsec and nothing works (witopia). No success with their support yet.
I've just put in custom DNS values.

Settings > Wireless & Networks > Wi-fi Settings > Advanced (menu button)

You'll see various IP settings, where you can set your DNS.

I'll look into VPN settings tomorrow, see if I can't get something working...
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
sabledav
sabledav began at the beginning.

doesnt work for me :(

Hi Guys!!

I need to know what I'm doing wrong!!

I downloaded the netflix app like you said and it went great. Then upon opening it, it asked me to upgrade, like you said. I cancelled the request and then it just closes the app automatically.

I can't access to my account.

If I click ok, it brings me to the android mall and there isn't even a netflix app there.

What am I doing wrong??

Thank you!!!
sabledav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabledav View Post
Hi Guys!!

I need to know what I'm doing wrong!!

I downloaded the netflix app like you said and it went great. Then upon opening it, it asked me to upgrade, like you said. I cancelled the request and then it just closes the app automatically.

I can't access to my account.

If I click ok, it brings me to the android mall and there isn't even a netflix app there.

What am I doing wrong??

Thank you!!!
Something happened about a week or so ago to change the success of version 1.5.0.

When I originally downloaded Netflix 1.5.0 - it worked great! A little sluggish at times, but I think this is normal for mobile devices. A message would come up telling you that there was a newer version of the app - and did you want to upgrade? You click 'no' or 'cancel' - or whatever it was - and then continue on your merry way to watch your show using Netflix 1.5.0.

BUT...about a week ago - I started to get a DIFFERENT message when I loaded 1.5.0 - it was saying 'You MUST upgrade to the newer version' to continue. If you said 'no' - you'd get the same results you just mentioned (it would close). If you said 'yes' - the upgrade would either fail (and you'd have to force close it) or it would succeed, and you'd either have a crappy viewing experience or Netflix wouldn't even load.

I thought the different message I was getting was due to my installation of Flash 11. I now know that's not the case, as I just recently did a factory reset - and the first thing I did was re-install Netflix 1.5.0 with the same yucky results.

I am not sure what changed with Netflix, but obviously they introduced something on their site in the past week which now prevents us from using 1.5.0.

Be patient, though - I think it's only a matter of time before we can get it working again. Keep in mind that streaming does seem to be a bit hit and miss with the Vox (because of lack of processor power? Not sure...), so it's not going to be like your laptop...

I am not too bummed about it though, because I do most of my streaming at home via my PC. I really wanted my Vox for travel (books, mags, and movies stored on the device to watch when I do not have WiFi access) - and the Vox delivers magnificently on those fronts....
Old 11-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #14
NotchJ
NotchJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
...I really wanted my Vox for travel (books, mags, and movies stored on the device to watch when I do not have WiFi access) - and the Vox delivers magnificently on those fronts....
Yeah but Netflix is one of those apps that you really want to work on the Vox when you travel. Not having it while it works fine on the Nook and the Fire is frustrating.
NotchJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #15
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotchJ View Post
Yeah but Netflix is one of those apps that you really want to work on the Vox when you travel. Not having it while it works fine on the Nook and the Fire is frustrating.
Really? Netflix for travel? When I travel, most hotel/campground/airport wifi sucks too bad for any sort of streaming. The only time I use wifi when travelling is to do light surfing on the net for travel related questions, info or reservations. Books, magazines, music and stored movies are my best friends while travelling...now it is the Vox!

I have to admit that I get annoyed when people point out that something works on the Fire and Nook, but not on the Vox though....