Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Is cover art a big deal?
Yes, it's a necessity for all ebooks. 49 39.84%
It's nice, but not a deal breaker. 60 48.78%
It doesn't matter in the slightest, I just want to read the book. 13 10.57%
As long as it's blue I don't care. 1 0.81%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Cover Art or lack there of...

As I'm sure many have noticed a lot of commercially available ebooks from the big publishing houses lack cover art and instead have what's basically a placeholder with the books title and author listed.

Now I understand on some backlist titles that current cover art can't be included due to the way the licensing for the artwork might read, but what about new titles? Surely it would be more or less a throw in for a contract made in the ebook era that the artwork would be usable for the digital edition just like it's used when a publisher (not a third party like Tantor) puts out an audio book.

Tor actually went so far as to have new cover art done for the ebook releases on the Wheel of Time books (and maybe for future pbook printings too?), but as far as I know that's a rarity.

So what to you think. Is it a big deal not having actual cover art or don't you care?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Might depend on the ereader that you own. But I have a Kobo which (used) to use the art as an "off" screen, so yes the cover art is essential for me because of this feature (wont get into the DRM arguement and adding own cover art).
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Well, I like cover art as it completes the book as it were.

For all my books, I add suitable cover art as part of editing the meta data. Plenty of cover images can be found via a Goggle Search or using Calibre to locate one for you.

Last edited by sabredog; 07-16-2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: oops, typo
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:51 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It's nice, but I don't care if it's not there. I only see it once anyway, and that's when I first open the book to start reading.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:10 AM   #5
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
In the eBook file itself I don't really care if a cover is provided, if it isn't included I can add it for my collection with Calibre and for on my reader I really don't care if it's included or not.

I do notice that when searching for possible reads on BooksOnBoard or other ebook stores I skip the books that haven't got a cover and use the generic ones provided by the store. I know you shouldn't judge an (e)book by it's cover but I do it anyway. I also don't look at ebooks which haven't got a synopsis or a badly written synopsis.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I do notice that when searching for possible reads on BooksOnBoard or other ebook stores I skip the books that haven't got a cover and use the generic ones provided by the store.
I find myself doing the same thing, it is often the cover of a book that will entice me to actually read the synopsis.

On a related note, I used to avoid getting some pBooks if the cover was something that I'd rather not have people seeing me read. For instance there a lot of, probably very good, science fiction books out there that end up having a scantily clad woman on the cover, I understand the target demographic and everything but I just couldn't bring myself to buy them and have them sitting around the house for the wife and kids to see. eBooks make those purchases so much easier now
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Just give me the words, don't need the pictures, my own imagination can supply those.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Tor actually went so far as to have new cover art done for the ebook releases on the Wheel of Time books (and maybe for future pbook printings too?), but as far as I know that's a rarity.
They did commission the art... but from what I've heard it's not in the actual books. (It certainly isn't for Ender's Game, which also had a new cover commissioned.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
So what to you think. Is it a big deal not having actual cover art or don't you care?
I can understand why, when eink devices are black-and-white, they didn't bother with including a pretty color cover. But I think that, for the sake of color LCD devices & futureproofing for color eink, there's no excuse not to include the actual artwork.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
They did commission the art... but from what I've heard it's not in the actual books. (It certainly isn't for Ender's Game, which also had a new cover commissioned.)
Well that's just stupid of them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
I do not care if there is a cover with the ebook, as I will find a cover and add it to the ebook myself.

Ken
KenFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It's nice, but I don't care if it's not there. I only see it once anyway, and that's when I first open the book to start reading.
Exactly. That's one of the things I miss the most from pBooks. The cover. Even eBooks that have it.

We only see it once, and in black&white in my Cybook/Kindle DX. It's not like a pBook where you see it everytime you pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I do notice that when searching for possible reads on BooksOnBoard or other ebook stores I skip the books that haven't got a cover and use the generic ones provided by the store.
Unfortunately, in my experience, it's considerable the amount of ebooks you see a cover in the online store, but doesn't have one in the ebook itself.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #12
lmpreston
YA Author
lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I follow cover art also. I vote a cover is a must for ebooks.
lmpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
I admit it vaguely pisses me off that the book you download doesn't have the cover when the website you bought it from uses it to sell you the book, but as I keep buying them I guess it's not a deal breaker.

I mean, surely if the publisher doesn't have the right to use the cover then the store shouldn't have the right either.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I mean, surely if the publisher doesn't have the right to use the cover then the store shouldn't have the right either.
There's a difference between having the right to use the cover art in promotional materials (online listings being the modern equivalent of the catalogs publishers used to send around to bookstores) and on the book proper, alas.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I think cover art is pretty necessary. I didn't realize that there were glitches in Amazon's system and sometimes, apparently, the cover art doesn't download. I had 3 different readers contact me and ask me to include a small cover shot inside the book because they like to be reminded of the book (and use the visual for that reminder.) So many of my books now have a small shot of the cover inside the book. It's Black and White on most readers, but it is there.

I also read today that if you download the .mobi files from Smashwords.com the cover art does not appear on Kindles. I hadn't been putting the cover shot inside the smashwords version so guess what I'll be doing from now on!

Maria
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote