Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
crash86
Enthusiast
crash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle 3, K4 and PW 1st gen
Calibre and new Sony software update

Hi all.

Don't know if this has been covered anywhere but I can use some help here folks.

I have a Sony 600 touch, I also have a Mac Book and use Calibre. Things were working fine until I updated the software for the Sony E-Reader and since then I have had nothing but grief. When I open Calibre it's fine until I plug in My e reader, it opens the Sony Reader program and that's when it all goes belly up. I try to transfer books to my reader from Calibre and the whole system freezes. My programs freeze all the time and I am always having to force quit and sometime just shut down a frozen computer.

I have upgraded the Calibre program to 7.2 in hopes that this might just help things out but nope, nada.

Has anyone else had this problem? I spent two hours this morning trying everything and just ended up swearing at my various gadgets!
crash86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
1) Close Calibre
2) THEN plug in the reader
3) Wait until Sony software launches
4) Quit Sony software
5) Re-launch Calibre

This is what I used to do until I got rid of my 505, because I knew the Sony software does not play nice with Calibre.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
crash86
Enthusiast
crash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to behold

I did that but the Sony program wont close... that is part of the problem, when I try to close it it freezes everything up.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash86 View Post
I did that but the Sony program wont close... that is part of the problem, when I try to close it it freezes everything up.
C, You might not be waiting long enough.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'm a Mac users with a 505 and I recently reinstalled the OS so I have recent experience with this.

Open the Sony Reader app and then open the apps' preferences. Unselect the open Reader software when reader is attached (or something like that, I'm at work as I write this).

Then every time you attach your ebook reader all that will happen is it will mount on the desktop. Then you can open Calibre or the Sony Reader app.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
crash86
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
I'm a Mac users with a 505 and I recently reinstalled the OS so I have recent experience with this.

Open the Sony Reader app and then open the apps' preferences. Unselect the open Reader software when reader is attached (or something like that, I'm at work as I write this).

Then every time you attach your ebook reader all that will happen is it will mount on the desktop. Then you can open Calibre or the Sony Reader app.
I will give that a try, thanks
Old 06-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
crash86
Enthusiast

Just Jeepin, just tried your suggestion and it's working. Thanks everyone for all your help
Old 06-17-2010, 06:52 AM   #8
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
just signed up today and found answer to my first question.
thank you
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Why do you even use Sony software? When I got the 600, I just installed Calibre on my laptop, and never bothered installing Sony's library software.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
Why do you even use Sony software? When I got the 600, I just installed Calibre on my laptop, and never bothered installing Sony's library software.
I am fairly new at this, so maybe I just haven't figured it out... but Calibre does not seem to handle annotations at all. If I want to store a PDF with handwritten notes, how do I do that with Calibre? Or even if I just want to read said PDF on my PC screen?
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I just use Sony's software for the freebie ebooks.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
In favor of Sony Software only

I just use the Sony software. Why use Caliber at all if you live in America?

For those outside of America, perhaps Caliber is better.

I only use Sony Software and have no problems. Sony makes the unit and one should stick to compatible software.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I am fairly new at this, so maybe I just haven't figured it out... but Calibre does not seem to handle annotations at all. If I want to store a PDF with handwritten notes, how do I do that with Calibre?
I don't know. Ask in the Calibre forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Or even if I just want to read said PDF on my PC screen?
Calibre can do that.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #14
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
I don't know. Ask in the Calibre forum.

Calibre can do that.
I meant "read PDFs with the annotations". I don't think it can - or, at least, I haven't figured it out.

But I did ask a while ago. At the time, it couldn't handle annotations. I just don't know whether that was added in the last update, but I will find out right away...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I thought there was a way in the new Sony software to turn off the "open whenever a device is connected to the computer" option....I'm not at home, but that's a new preference you can un-check.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote