Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 05:35 AM   #16
Keloff
Electronic media explorer
Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation), iPad 2
Can't wait to browse through it when my reader arrives. Congratulations on everyone who worked on this so far.
Keloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:47 AM   #17
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
See? I knew it was a stupid question.
no question is stupid!

that's how we learn .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #18
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Just a quick comment here: Actually we are working on updating the eBook upload and download interface drastically. This has been hindered by a bit too much of that RL but just hang in there! Eventually it will be done!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #19
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Over the past few weeks I've been pottering about the web downloading the "best" version of public domain and creative commons ePub books. And it invariably ends up being the MobileRead version.

So a big thanks to all the dedicated ebook crafters at MobileRead. Obsession, it's a wonderful thing ;-)
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:56 AM   #20
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
See? I knew it was a stupid question.
Nah its not a stupid question mate as I stumbled across all the awesome books on here too lol. Only then noticed later that there is a handy direct link lol!!!
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
Over the past few weeks I've been pottering about the web downloading the "best" version of public domain and creative commons ePub books. And it invariably ends up being the MobileRead version.

So a big thanks to all the dedicated ebook crafters at MobileRead. Obsession, it's a wonderful thing ;-)
The best way to say "thank you" is to contribute to the library yourself. Most of our material is contributed by a handful of people. Gratitude is nice; contributions are the real way to show how grateful you are.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #22
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
15K.
Is it a number of titles or if a book is uploaded in 4 different formats it will be counted as 4 books in this 15K number?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #23
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The best way to say "thank you" is to contribute to the library yourself. Most of our material is contributed by a handful of people. Gratitude is nice; contributions are the real way to show how grateful you are.
Hi Harry,

I was wondering, I am contemplating scanning in my paperback book collection (I have hundereds of Sci Fi books I have bought, some are quite old). Now when I have scanned the books and have got them into ebook format is it legal to upload them here and share them?? Don't want to break any forum rules or anything. Obviously this is going to be slow process converting my book collection but thought I would ask now.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK_Matrix View Post
Hi Harry,

I was wondering, I am contemplating scanning in my paperback book collection (I have hundereds of Sci Fi books I have bought, some are quite old). Now when I have scanned the books and have got them into ebook format is it legal to upload them here and share them?? Don't want to break any forum rules or anything. Obviously this is going to be slow process converting my book collection but thought I would ask now.
You must only upload them if the books are in the public domain, or if you have the permission of the copyright holder to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #25
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
On the subject of the library, what is the etiquette for reporting/fixing errors in the books? Should we post them to the thread, PM the author, fix them ourselves or what?
I've uploaded a few books, so if it was me a post in the thread or a PM would be much appreciated. I don't think it is quite on to fix the errors yourself and upload that, unless the original contributor does not respond. We don't want to end up with too many versions of the same book, with minor differences between them. If you did upload a new version based on someone else's, then give them a credit. Also say how it differs.

I think it is probably OK to upload a conversion to a different format if the new format is not in the library. It is nice if you spend some time polishing the new version to suit the format you have chosen.

I have uploaded books which already exist in the library, where I've found the original version of poor quality; in that situation I have gone back to the source text from project Gutenburg, and converted from scratch.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #26
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Lovely! Thank you, MR uploaders!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
15K.
Is it a number of titles or if a book is uploaded in 4 different formats it will be counted as 4 books in this 15K number?
It's 15k "uploads" not individual titles. Once we revamp the upload section and make it more database like we will be able to get a count of titles and uploads.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #28
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thank you and congratulations to all the uploaders ! i've had many hours of happy reading thanks to the books here. bravo !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
On the subject of the library, what is the etiquette for reporting/fixing errors in the books? Should we post them to the thread, PM the author, fix them ourselves or what?
as ShellShock has said, most uploaders are very happy to get reports of errors in their books, to correct them. i am really grateful personally for the eagle eyes of our members who spotted many typos and other bizarreries in my books ; for one of them, which i hadn't had time to proof read, i think i got to version 5 in the first week alone. please do either post in the thread or send a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post

too true.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #29
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It's 15k "uploads" not individual titles. Once we revamp the upload section and make it more database like we will be able to get a count of titles and uploads.

BOb
Thanks.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #30
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
A big thanks to all who contribute to the MR book collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaAnn View Post
...I've discovered some new mystery authors due to this library.
+1. I have really enjoyed reading stuff by previously unknown (to me) authors like J.S. Fletcher, Wilkie Collins and Sapper, and look forward to reading so many more that have been recommended by others and are now on my TBR list, like Haggard, Van Dine and Tey. I don't think I'll ever need to buy any more books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
...bizarreries...
Better copyright that one!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote