Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-08-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
why dont you port kindle keyboard apps to kindle touch

Hey guys why don't you do what the title says.I know this is difficult as the ui is different but still it is worth a try.there are many good apps for the kindle keyboard like pdf reader,interactive fiction reader,notepad,etc.you can port these apps to the kindle touch by using gui launcher,wafs and kindlets.I am not a programmer or I would have tried it myself.I hope this thread becomes active and you kindle devs start posting your ported apps here.thanks in advance
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Are they not being ported alredy? Its not an overnight thing, rather a slow and gradual process based on what the developers want and need.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Why don't I have a pet unicorn?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:19 AM   #4
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@aditya3098 yes they are being ported but we have yet not seen any results.i know it is difficult but i think by now at least a pdf reader should have appeared for the k5.i doubt that anyone is working on porting the notepad or interactive fiction reader.if the orginal devs of the orginal apps are not active then why dont the current devs make a team and port all or atleast most of the k3 apps to the k5.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quite simply, because this is a hobby, and people do what they are interested in, not necessarily what you are interested in.

You can always start learning and do it for yourself -- or pay a developer to do it for you.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

well is there a guide for porting apps.but let us make thread to post ported apps.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Quite simply, because this is a hobby, and people do what they are interested in, not necessarily what you are interested in.

You can always start learning and do it for yourself -- or pay a developer to do it for you.
@ixtab: Well said!

@all: Actually, one of my MANY unfinished projects is a native mode touchscreen keyboard (also K4 compatible with 5-way pad), that exports a virtual event device so that keyboard-dependent programs can be EASILY ported to the new kindles. I thought that it should be configurable to send K3 or DX keycodes (or event standard desktop AT-keyboard keycodes), so that some programs the read the event device location from a config file (or that search for the keyboard device) would not even need to be recompiled.

Of course, somebody might beat me to it, but so far JoppyFur has only implemented his keyboard as an integrated part of a terminal program rather than as a virtual device.

A virtual keyboard should make porting any keyboard-dependent program MUCH easier to port to the K4 and K5. Does anybody here want to show us THEIR version of what I just suggested?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #8
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You have a unicorn allergy?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #9
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
let us make thread to post ported apps.
you can add them here
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I found your lost unicorn:

Click image for wonderful description

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-22-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Okay, I'll have a stab at this.

@techiemonkey much of the stuff that requires extra fiddling (I.E plugging into the new launcher, or changes to the way the graphics/input is processed) is PROBABLY that same work over and over.

That is to say: Look at an APP a developer HAS ported over to the 5 and DIFF it against the source code for the 3 version.

In that way you can get a sense of what has been REQUIRED changes (and possibly some fluff)

If you managed to find a couple of ports that you could "diff" ( I use Meld myself ) then even without a real sense of "what the code does" you could get an idea of "which bits always change"

I know you are trying to become a developer (heck I listed my bookshelf to you, you know how annoying and eyebag inducing it can be) - much of the typical requests of devs are:

"I wan't the moon on a stick. preferably a blue one, but tomorrow, for free"

So you can see why the stock "No, Do it Yourself!" answers can get either tiresome or silly.

FWIW. I am actually in the process of doing exactly this.
But don't throw rocks or expect results instantly - I too have to sit down and do EXACTLY what I have just described above

Does it sound like fun? The kind of thing you might want to do - say versus watching a new movie or spending time on the xbox? if that answer is "No" then you can see why projects fail and stuff doesn't get finished.

All that said if you DID!!!! do some of the work above. that would help others (including me) AND YOU!!! also you can have the

"Unicorn on a Stick, preferably not in a can" much quicker.

figure out the FB (eink) differences or alternate system paths.. etc..

DOCUMENT IT in a public place...

It all helps...

That's my - hopefully constructive - input.

Cheers

Last edited by twobob; 09-22-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: DOCUMENT IT!!!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

together

little by little... we can overcome big things...

Be the Ant... Not the drip ;0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_085.png
Views:	322
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	92778  
Old 09-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
twobob

okay - so I just ported 130mb worth via BR.

I'll slowly release them as I test them.
there. done.

the stuff that needs xterm / input / graphics tweak will take a bit longer.

That was just a tiny selection, I'll do the rest RSN

Code:
[root@kindle root]# cd /mnt/us/usr/bin
[root@kindle bin]# ls
README                ccache                gst-launch-0.10       madplay               speexdec
abxtest               cvs                   gst-typefind          make                  speexenc
aclocal               distcc                gst-typefind-0.10     metaflac              strace
aclocal-1.11          distccd               gst-visualise-0.10    microperl             strings
addr2line             elfedit               gst-xmlinspect        mpc2sv8               strip
ar                    elinks                gst-xmlinspect-0.10   mpcchap               tmux
as                    ffmpeg                ifnames               mpccut                tt++
aserver               ffplay                lame                  mpcdec                unlzma
autoconf              ffprobe               ld                    mpcenc                unxz
autoheader            ffserver              ld.bfd                mpcgain               update-alternatives
autom4te              flac                  libtool               mpd                   updatedb
automake              gdb                   libtoolize            mplayer               vim
automake-1.11         gdbserver             linphonec             nano                  wavcmp
autoreconf            gdbus                 linphonecsh           nm                    wget
autoscan              gdbus-codegen         locate                objcopy               xz
autoupdate            gio-querymodules      lzcat                 objdump               xzcat
bunzip2               glib-compile-schemas  lzcmp                 opkg-cl               xzcmp
bzcat                 gnuchess              lzdiff                opkg-key              xzdec
bzcmp                 gnuchessx             lzegrep               perl                  xzdiff
bzdiff                gprof                 lzfgrep               pkg-config            xzegrep
bzegrep               gsettings             lzgrep                prboom                xzfgrep
bzfgrep               gst-discoverer-0.10   lzless                prboom-game-server    xzgrep
bzgrep                gst-dsp-parse         lzma                  ranlib                xzless
bzip2                 gst-feedback          lzmadec               readelf               xzmore
bzip2recover          gst-feedback-0.10     lzmainfo              rsync
bzless                gst-inspect           lzmore                rtorrent
bzmore                gst-inspect-0.10      lzop                  sip_reg
c++filt               gst-launch            m4                    size
bedtime

Be the Ant.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

Now some of the k3 apps have been poted to the kindle touch like an interactive fiction reader and a notepad. Now a decent pdf reader would be great but I can always use duokan, would have been awesome if mplayer had a gui as I am having problems with the launcher one. Whenever I put play all songs launcher wouldn't open at all and I also don't know how to select the song I want to play.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
Now some of the k3 apps have been poted to the kindle touch like an interactive fiction reader and a notepad. Now a decent pdf reader would be great but . . .
- - - snip - - -
? ? ? ?
Many consider the PDFreader for the Kindle Touch Only, already a "Decent PDF reader".
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

Try it, help improve it by adding what you find.
Either the good points that make it seem "Decent" to you, or
The things that make you think it is not "Decent".

Note: That application is written in Lua, a good "first language" for anyone to learn.
So it will not be very long before you can post suggested code changes (patches) that help it reach your "Decent" list.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote