Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
viperboy
viperboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Using an Asus Transformer for eTextbooks

Hey guys, new to eBooks on Android but not Android itself (I'm a developer on XDA) but I wanted to post in here and do some searching as well. Basically, I go to Penn State and they are pushing the NOOKStudy application for PC or Mac for you to rent your textbooks. Of course, the NOOKStudy format is not compatible with anything other than the PC/Mac app (not even iDevices) so I figured I would download a free eTextbook and use Calibre to convert it to ePub. I did that and when I tossed it on /sdcard/Nook/Content and the Nook app doesn't show it in my library. But in that same folder is another ePub book that I downloaded from the Nook app which shows up in my Library.

So my question is, does anything need to be done specially to make it show up in the Android Nook app or should I maybe use a different reader/format? Has anyone tried converting and using an eTextbook for an Android tablet? Any help or direction is appreciated and I will also be looking for more help on this site, I just didn't find anything too useful yet. Thanks!
viperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
If you can post a link to this "free eTextbook", I would be glad to check it out on my
transformer.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
viperboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
If you can post a link to this "free eTextbook", I would be glad to check it out on my
transformer.

Luck;
Ken
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookstudy/index.asp

You have to download the NOOKStudy app and sign in there and on the Nook webpage. On that page there is a link that shows some free eTextbooks. I downloaded the exciting one on MLA formatting or something like that but it stores the .pdf in you Documents folder in Barnes and Noble Books, I believe. And, of course, if you want to convert it, you need Calibre and the plugins for DRM, but I'm sure you know all that

When you test it, however you get it to work, I would love to know the App that you used and any conversion method if you had to do it. I haven't looked into many Honeycomb specific readers either - do you have a suggestion?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperboy View Post
download a free eTextbook and use Calibre to convert it to ePub.
Can this converted epub be viewed by the built-in calibre viewer?

How about an epub editor like Sigil? Perhaps, resaving it using Sigil may help it display.

I usually use the ADE pc viewer as my ultimate .epub compatibility tester...

Quote:
should I maybe use a different reader/format?
So if it works outside of the nook app, then perhaps it needs to be tweaked to work there, but you could also try Aldiko, cool reader or Moon+ reader available from the Market. On my TF I usually use the nook app, but version 2.5 (not the latest as it crashes too much on HC). On my rooted NC (GB ver. 2.3), I do use the latest nook app (version 2.6.2) and it works quite well on virtually all of my epub's.

You could try converting the original ebook to .prc/.mobi first using calibre, then used FBReader for android to read it.

Or perhaps re-convert that converted .prc ebook to .epub again using calibre and try that new one in the nook app.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
viperboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Can this converted epub be viewed by the built-in calibre viewer?

How about an epub editor like Sigil? Perhaps, resaving it using Sigil may help it display.

I usually use the ADE pc viewer as my ultimate .epub compatibility tester...

So if it works outside of the nook app, then perhaps it needs to be tweaked to work there, but you could also try Aldiko, cool reader or Moon+ reader available from the Market. On my TF I usually use the nook app, but version 2.5 (not the latest as it crashes too much on HC). On my rooted NC (GB ver. 2.3), I do use the latest nook app (version 2.6.2) and it works quite well on virtually all of my epub's.

You could try converting the original ebook to .prc/.mobi first using calibre, then used FBReader for android to read it.

Or perhaps re-convert that converted .prc ebook to .epub again using calibre and try that new one in the nook app.
Thank you so much for the suggestions, I have to try a few of them when I get home. I never tried reading the .epub file in Calibre, I had to run to work. I guess I really need to try out some more readers and more formats (DRM-free .pdf, .mobi, .epub etc)
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
OK, I had to find my tools to disinfect Adobe .pdf, not one I use very often.

(Have you tried downloading the book from within the Transformer? It's "MyLibrary"
app supports the ADE scam.) (Also the nook app shows the free trials in it's library
and they have a "Download" button on them, but when you try it it you get a notice:
"File type not supported".)

Once the file is disinfected Calibre has no problem with it. The Transformer's "MyLibrary"
app has no problems with the disinfected .pdf either.

The issue then becomes what format and output profile to use.

I tried both the "Tablet" and the iPad output formats with an Epub conversion, both
can be read in the Transformer.

I prefer the disinfected .pdf, myself.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; For a student the Mantano reader with it's many features (but limited format
support - .epub & .pdf) could be your best bet. I tried your book on the trial and
it looked very good.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-22-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote