Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
parameter_bond
parameter_bond began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Question Better formatting in Pages for iBooks/Stanza?

Hi! I received an iPad for my birthday, and I love the iBooks app. Since I had a copy of iWork Pages, I tried making an ePub with it, and the results were quite good. Some minor formatting issues (orphans mainly), but nothing bad.

However, when I looked at it on Stanza/iPad I was disappointed at how much worse it looked. The pages are too wide (is there no double-page layout?), headings are too small and centred rather than left-justified, the illustrations are left-justified rather than centred, inter-paragraph margins default to being too big, footnotes don't work, the invert-screen button hides the text, and the app crashes a lot with unhandled exceptions.

Are there any tricks to format a book in Pages that works better with Stanza? Or is Stanza just, well, not as good?

I was using the Pages template, though - perhaps that's the problem...

file is at http://clock24.nfshost.com/counting-time.html if examining it helps
parameter_bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Apple has a support document for best practices using Pages for ePub export:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4168

Maybe this will help! (haven't tried it myself yet-I use Sigil).
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
I'd look at the support document. I love Stanza but it hasn't seen a real update in forever. Amazon bought stanza and so far hasn't did anything with it. Maybe they are waiting for their new tablet, who knows. I really miss that App getting updates though.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Stanza is buggy. (IMHO) it's not worth using until the bugs are fix and that may be never.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Stanza is buggy. (IMHO) it's not worth using until the bugs are fix and that may be never.
Yea, agreed. It seems strange amazon would buy it just to shelve it. I read the Stanza team moved to Settle after Amazon bought them so hopefully Amazon is planning to do SOMETHING with it.
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Yea, agreed. It seems strange amazon would buy it just to shelve it. I read the Stanza team moved to Settle after Amazon bought them so hopefully Amazon is planning to do SOMETHING with it.
Amazon might have just wanted the development team rather than the software they had already developed.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Amazon might have just wanted the development team rather than the software they had already developed.
I'd have to agree. Good development folks are actually harder than you'd think to find these days. You can get people who will get stuff done, but that isn't what gets you the next big thing. But personnel are just as valuable, if not more, as the knowledge/technology they bring.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Synergi
Addict

Ahhh very good points. Lets hope the Stanza team brings something fantastic to Amazon's new tablet.