Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
legr3c
legr3c began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Syncing your own eBooks between PCs and Android

Hey guys

I am desperately looking for a way to read ebooks on my PCs (Windows) as well as on my Android Phone. What is most important to me is that the last page read is always synchronized between all devices. Also, I have to be able to add my own ebooks and I guess that's where it gets tricky. For example the Kindle app for PC and Android does almost what I want: it syncs your reading progress and you can import your own books but syncing only seems to be possible for books you purchased via kindle.

So does anyone know a software or method to achieve this?
legr3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
not sure if this can go here but can any 1 help. i know there is a prog for pc on amazon site and there is one for mac

but
my mac isnt intel its a power pc g4 mac mini.
i need to no of there is a reader like kindle prog for pc
and is the mobie pocket prog for my mac or can any1 suggest alternative.
please help
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Apps like the Kindle ones allow you to sync any books you've purchased from them but not for any you get from elsewhere, and as far as I know there are no apps that allow you to sync your own books.

An alternative to this would be to use a web-based ebook reader like Ibis Reader. You upload your books to your account you create with them and then read the book online. Seeing as you are reading it online, it will remember your last page so when you log into it with another device, you can continue from where you left off.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
legr3c
legr3c began at the beginning.

Thanks ghostyjack!
I did not know about Ibis and it basically does exactly what I want. Unfortunately this still won't cut it for me because I guess you always need an Internet connection to use it, which I don't have.
legr3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
producerism
producerism began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I had this same exact question, and was wondering if there have been any developments in the past few months?

I'd really like to do the following 2 things:
  1. Read PDF/ePub on Android devices and PC, so that device always remembers where I left off
  2. Be able to access notes, highlights, annotations, etc. across all devices (pc/android)

If something like this doesn't already exist, it should!

There is an AS3 library that can parse and render ePub (example) - seems like it would be very possible to create an app in AIR that would be able to run on just about all devices/platforms.
producerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

According to Teleread, the Ibis Reader now has a web app that can be used on the android to download books that can be read offline.

This may (potentially) resolve the OP's issues now as long as they can get internet access every now and then.

Link: http://www.teleread.com/chris-meadow...w-ibis-reader/
Old 07-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Apps like the Kindle ones allow you to sync any books you've purchased from them but not for any you get from elsewhere, and as far as I know there are no apps that allow you to sync your own books.
Sorry, this is not entirely correct. The kindle for xxxx apps WILL sync between your own books, or any others that you get anywhere, IF you convert them to .mobi files using Calibre.

I frequently switch between kindle, pc, and android phone, and they're all (even third-party books) sync'd nicely.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:46 AM   #8
ghostyjack
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Sorry, this is not entirely correct. The kindle for xxxx apps WILL sync between your own books, or any others that you get anywhere, IF you convert them to .mobi files using Calibre.

I frequently switch between kindle, pc, and android phone, and they're all (even third-party books) sync'd nicely.
Could you explain how?

I had a go with the Kindle software on my Galaxy Tab & Desire HD, and the only books that will sync are the ones purchased from the Kindle store.

I cannot get any of my side-loaded books to sync.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #9
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Could you explain how?

I had a go with the Kindle software on my Galaxy Tab & Desire HD, and the only books that will sync are the ones purchased from the Kindle store.

I cannot get any of my side-loaded books to sync.
Ensure that you're using the latest version of calibre. Convert your ebooks (No matter from where they are) to .mobi files. Do this EVEN IF IT'S already a .mobi file that you got somewhere other than amazon. Use kindle for xxxxx. Enjoy syncing. It's that easy
Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
ghostyjack
Guru

Nope. Followed your instructions and cannot get this to work.

I cannot figure out how you can get a book that you didn't purchase from Amazon to sync with them, so you can then open it on another device and be at the position you finished on, on the first device.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
gweminence
Fat Guy

Are you actually selecting 'sync' from the menu? You have to do that, it doesn't just show up afaik.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #12
ghostyjack
Guru

Yes, I do a manual sync.

BTW, are the books that you are syncing also available from Amazon? The ones I've tried are only available from the Black Library so Amazon would not even be able to recognise any of the books metadata. Just in case that's how it's working for you.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
gweminence
Fat Guy

Usually they are also available. But I have thousands of books, so checking each would be problematic. If you like, you can pm me a book that won't sync for you (one that's out of copyright, of course), and I'll test for you. But there's a whole thread in the calibre forum dedicated to thanking Kovid for this functionality. It works. We just have to figure out why it's not working for you.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The PC version of Nook Study allows you to add you own e-books. Not sure about the Android version.
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
joseph.carty
joseph.carty began at the beginning.

I have been looking for the same thing. I especially want to have my notes and highlights and I could live without the page synchronization if I had to. The only thing I have found so far it the ability to "share" all of my annotation and bookmarks from moon reader pro+ to evernote or any other sharing app.

I'm very interested in the ability to truly sync notes and reading location so if anyone finds more please post.
joseph.carty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, desktop, sync, synchronize