Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS650
Sony: E-readers 'selling out around the world'

A little while back, Barnes & Noble Chairman Len Riggio said his company was straining to meet demand for its Nook Color for the holiday season. Then it was Amazon's turn to let it be known that it was selling millions of Kindles this holiday season. Now Sony, not wanting to be left out of the rosy e-reader numbers game, says that it's "expecting both the Reader Touch and Daily Editions will sell out around the world before the holidays," which we assume means Christmas.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...#ixzz18VBsWGm2

MaxLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Unfortunately Sony is probably talking about selling tens of thousands rather than houndreds of thousands like their competitors. I get the feeling Sony didn't manufacture nearly as many units as Amazon or B&N.
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And I seriously doubt that anybody (and I do include Amazon in that) is selling MILLIONS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLV View Post
A little while back, Barnes & Noble Chairman Len Riggio said his company was straining to meet demand for its Nook Color for the holiday season. Then it was Amazon's turn to let it be known that it was selling millions of Kindles this holiday season. Now Sony, not wanting to be left out of the rosy e-reader numbers game, says that it's "expecting both the Reader Touch and Daily Editions will sell out around the world before the holidays," which we assume means Christmas.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...#ixzz18VBsWGm2

elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
yeah... "sell out" is a relative word.

Hey, I made up a new name for Sony's marketing campaign. It's "Marketing through secrecy"
lack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All manufacturers are dependent on the supply of screens from eInk in Taiwan. That's the bottleneck in the production process common to them all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Well "selling out" doesn't say anything about "unable to replenish stock".
It just means they filled their quota (or stock) for one round of manufacturing lot, or stocking for a distributor.
In case of Sony I guess it means they manufactured x devices, expected to sell y devices, and DID sell them out at predicted, z timeline.

But we don't know how much is x, y and z. That's why it is a relative word.

Some thread mentions back order happened though, which might be caused by eink supply.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
And I seriously doubt that anybody (and I do include Amazon in that) is selling MILLIONS...
They've claimed to have sold 3 million (total) by december 2009r. It was projected (Barclays) that they would sell about 3 million in 2010. It's quite possible that they actually do sell it in millions.

I wonder, if Sony sells at least hundreds of thousands.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
I'm sure they could if they would actively market them. They are very good eBook readers. But if consumers don't know they exist, they won't buy them.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
They've claimed to have sold 3 million (total) by december 2009r. It was projected (Barclays) that they would sell about 3 million in 2010. It's quite possible that they actually do sell it in millions.

I've found a few mentions of Sony announcing in 2008 that it had sold 300,000 readers total, world-wide I assume (http://www.dealerscope.com/article/s...years-400982/1, http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/0...ler/index.html). I find the second article kind of interesting, actually, it's a 2008 comparison of Kindle and Sony, with the closing line "But, all things considered, it's the Sony Reader that wins his verdict as the e-book of choice."

Last edited by natasha_fawn; 12-19-2010 at 08:35 PM.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The info I was disbelieving related to an Amazon claim to have sold millions in the Holiday Season, not overall...

Quote:

Old 12-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
In general I disbelieve all press releases involving figures and statistics.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
elcreative
Wizard

99% of the time I agree but statistically the odds are always in favour of things not being as stated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
In general I disbelieve all press releases involving figures and statistics.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All manufacturers are dependent on the supply of screens from eInk in Taiwan. That's the bottleneck in the production process common to them all.
I didn't realize that and I'm glad to hear it.

I willingly paid considerably more for my PRS-650 than comparable Kindles and Kobos were selling for, because I felt it was worth the higher price. But I've been concerned that Sony will price themselves out of the market. Many people don't weigh the differences, are more willing to compromise, or just don't have a few more dollars.

But if Sony can only manufacture X units, they may as well sell them for the highest price that X customers are willing to pay. That will give them the revenue needed to stay out of trouble.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #14
lack
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
because I felt it was worth the higher price. But I've been concerned that Sony will price themselves out of the market. Many people don't weigh the differences, are more willing to compromise, or just don't have a few more dollars.

But if Sony can only manufacture X units, they may as well sell them for the highest price that X customers are willing to pay. That will give them the revenue needed to stay out of trouble.

Apple did it and they succeed. But then again, Apple = Good Advertising
Old 12-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by lack View Post
Apple did it and they succeed. But then again, Apple = Good Advertising
Apple = willing to lose money on a product by investing more $$$$$$$ in advertising than they make on net sales.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote