Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #136
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
LOL pholy and 3dOg: I'm guessing that folks not comfortable with adjusting the file system for sure would not be comfortable working in Linux to create the SD card.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #137
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
After saying "I cannot do that" zillion times, one might think
again and follow really easy steps. I feel no smarter than any
other poster on this forum, so, if I could, anybody could.

Human being is known to find a way trough obstacles. As I
use win node, not in my possesion, from time to time, and ha-
ve all intended tasks done, using internet as adviser, why sd
card scares people so much? I would be scared to use desktop
app to upgrade and cross fingers to have it all fine.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #138
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
LOL pholy and 3dOg: I'm guessing that folks not comfortable with adjusting the file system for sure would not be comfortable working in Linux to create the SD card.
But if a kind soul created it for them...
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I know that is a big issue for you (and some others) but that is not what this particular update is about. This update's purpose it was to catch folks up with Kobo-WiFi features, to the extent that this is possible with the hardware on this device. There is a new rendering engine, but I think that the changes you are looking for will most probably be seen when the CSS group does their thing--assuming that it is on the Kobo priority list, and I don't know if it is or not.

I think that the display on the WiFi and the Original should now be the same--so if the WiFi version is better, from your perspective, then this one will be too. The older Kobo does not have 16 level gray scale, so that is one difference that will not change. I know that is not what you are asking about, but some folks will wonder about it.
but it should be about fixing the bugs and the embedded fonts are broken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #140
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
LOL very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
But if a kind soul created it for them...
I'd be happy to do it for people in Australia free, as long as they're happy to pay postage to and fro.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #141
sailias
sailias began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Greets:

First post.. Got the new wifi kobo only yesterday. I dont use windows, not installed in over 8 years, rather run linux at this end. Reading the thread, it can be done with linux using the SD card method. Only thing missing is a link to get the firmware. So where do we linux users go to get the firmware....?? Interesting thread, thanks for all the hard work as its nice to be backward compatibility on hardware...thats rare and the dev and marketing folks should give them selves a pat on the back.. So can I have a URL now...

Best regards

/ch
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #142
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
You will not need to update your Kobo wifi (Ko2) with this update, which is only for original Kobo's (Ko1)
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #143
sailias
sailias began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Ah...thats no fun...OK will give the Cool-er firmware a shot. Whats a device for if you cant play with it..

Happy reading and thanks for the quick response.

Just for interest, use the device to load all my sailing docs, images, logs and reference texts which I will need to scan, but its a cool little device. Hopefully someday the wifi component will be tweaked so there are some options as to where to point it rather then only to go home. Now that would be nice.

Thanks again for the quick response and clarification.

Best regards

/ch
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #144
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Definitely.

It's more complicated for most users but the USB upgrade has too many downsides IMO...

USB upgrade:
No dictionary support on built-in books
Any prior database problems get carried forward
ADE won't work without factory reset (so you loose all your content & bookmarks anyway)

SD upgrade:
Dictionary support on built-in books
Known clean database
Database in 100% kepub format
ADE authorizes without issues
I'm going to get some spare SD cards today! They are so cheap now (especially the older ones) and I have built in card readers on all my computers.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #145
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

CazMar--the one problem I had was figuring out which of my machines could actually boot from a flash drive/memory stick. Neither of my HP computers could (no option in the BIOS, no new BIOS available that did it either), but a little old Asus netbook did it just fine.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #146
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
So you're saying we should have waited a few more days so we could have gotten another sale? DOH!
Well just to let you know you've got that extra sale now too!

I'm happy with the upgrade on the original but I can justify getting a Wifi for the Wifi + Processor improvements and my mother can enjoy the original.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #147
kchampagne
kchampagne began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
Looks like I was pretty quick on the draw. I managed to get the release...however, time will tell if it's so buggy that it becomes unusable. However, so far, so good! It looks like it's what they promised.

- can read while plugged into the computer
- can delete books directly on the device
- options to show cover on sleep mode and/or power off
- newspapers and magazines
- probably more...just haven't noticed it all yet

Only problem I can see is that the desktop application still syncs ALL books even when I purchased just one...takes forever to sync with the number of books I have.

I like what I see so far though! Great work
Hi there! I work in technical support for Kobo. If you remain logged into the desktop application at all times then make a purchase and update your library then the desktop app. will only bring in the new material. If you log out of the app. then log back in you are right you will have to download all books back into the app. from the website (server). What I do is stay logged in all of time, even when I shut down (you stay logged in provided you don't log out) when I start back up I am still logged in and avoid the whole downloading process from server again. Keep in mind no billing info. or other details stay in the app. only on the website.

Kerry
kchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #148
taming
Trying for calm & polite

You don't have to keep the application open, just don't log out. I believe, and maybe Kerry can correct this if it is not accurate, that if you buy a new book and sync without updating the desktop application library, only the new book downloads onto your reader and a sync is not done with existing bookmarks, finished books etc. This can be useful if two family members use the same account with different readers.

Last edited by taming; 12-20-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #149
maratekin
maratekin began at the beginning.

Is there any update on when we can expect the 1.8 firmware update?

Thanks -

Mark
maratekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #150
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maratekin View Post
Is there any update on when we can expect the 1.8 firmware update?

Thanks -

Mark
They've actually given an exact date: December 13, 2010.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote