Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #1366
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually I think their priority is implementing features requested by marketing.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #1367
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Please Kobo, now with the larger Aura One, give us page turn options where the entire 2/3rds bottom of the screen is page forward. We can page backwards with swipes. The existing choice uses about 1/3rd of the screen and is not large enough to avoid hitting the settings middle section.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:26 AM   #1368
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Pinning tiles to the home page

I expend a lot of energy trying to keep a few tiles on the home page, and would really like a way to pin some, mostly some of the collections.

It would be even better if the collection tiles were grouped separately from the books tiles, for instance in the last column. The cherry on the cake would be if those pinned tiles were ordered by name instead of most recent, which is good for the book tiles. At present I have eight collection tiles on the One, which grouped would be one full column height.

This is something I've found much more necessary for the One where calling the collections is so much slower than on the H2O and Glo HD, which have only 10% less books, that I gave up on them save for calling the tiles once, then eliminating book tiles to keep them on the home page.

Perhaps it would at least be possible to improve the delay in calling collections: it is still 4 to 5" on the Glo HD but above 10" on the One, while calling books is under 1" for all devices.

Last edited by anacreon; 09-15-2016 at 05:45 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:51 AM   #1369
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
Please Kobo, now with the larger Aura One, give us page turn options where the entire 2/3rds bottom of the screen is page forward. We can page backwards with swipes. The existing choice uses about 1/3rd of the screen and is not large enough to avoid hitting the settings middle section.
Have you tried the second setting, where the right 2/3 of the screen is page forward? (apart from a little bit at the middle-bottom, which is for settings).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #1370
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Have you tried the second setting, where the right 2/3 of the screen is page forward? (apart from a little bit at the middle-bottom, which is for settings).
Of course. That's the whole point. That's why I asked for the ENTIRE bottom 2/3rds of the screen. None of their 4 options devote enough screen space (IMHO) to page forward. The second option has a pretty wide left margin for page backwards (even Kindle's default, non-changeable, option devotes less space to it), so that if you're holding it in your left hand you have to move your thumb well out for a tap or just get used to always swiping.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:57 PM   #1371
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Of course. That's the whole point. That's why I asked for the ENTIRE bottom 2/3rds of the screen. None of their 4 options devote enough screen space (IMHO) to page forward. The second option has a pretty wide left margin for page backwards (even Kindle's default, non-changeable, option devotes less space to it), so that if you're holding it in your left hand you have to move your thumb well out for a tap or just get used to always swiping.
If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you.

You said "The existing choice uses about 1/3rd of the screen and is not large enough to avoid hitting the settings middle section." This describes the first option, not the second, so I drew the second option to your attention. "The existing choice" implied to me that you didn't know that there was more than one choice in the stock firmware.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #1372
bazzz
Enthusiast
bazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad Pro
Please Kobo, replace your PDF engine. What I personally (subjective) want, is cropping features like with GoodReader on my iPad (cutting margins, not setting a zoom level), give me an option to remove the footer (page x of y) when viewing such cropped PDFs, remember that cropping during page turns (and when leaving, re-entering the document).
bazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #1373
rogerinnyc
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you.

You said "The existing choice uses about 1/3rd of the screen and is not large enough to avoid hitting the settings middle section." This describes the first option, not the second, so I drew the second option to your attention.
I was actually trying to describe the fourth choice (which uses about 1/3rd for page forward), but you're right, it also describes the first choice. Sorry, didn't mean to beat you up for trying to help.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #1374
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Swipe forward and you have the bottom 2/3rds doing what you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:46 AM   #1375
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Nevermind, apparently my browser thought a post from 2010 was 'new'.... silly ol' browser.

Last edited by MGlitch; 09-21-2016 at 01:50 AM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #1376
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Actually I think their priority is implementing features requested by marketing.
And one may add that their marketing has a very narrow focus group and that they are perhaps not very good at their jobs...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #1377
frenshprince
Connoisseur
frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW3, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo HD
What I'd love :

- A vocabulary builder similar as the Kindle one.

- A web browser which keeps cookies websites

- A true Facebook sharing option (twitter/mails/goodreads as well)

- A website/app where you can find all your highlights and note like Amazon.kindle.com
frenshprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #1378
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I'd love the vocabulary builder feature. Now what I do is highlight new words I've learnt and then when I've finished with the book I 'revise' by going into the annotations. This is obviously not ideal because it mixes up those words with the actual annotations. Having all those words stored separately for future reference would be so convenient. That's one feature I'm appreciative of on the kindle side.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:17 AM   #1379
aegeus
Enthusiast
aegeus began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader 5
Kobo Auro One is my next e-reader after Kindle Voyage; I have used Kindle, Kobo and Nook e-readers until now along with Android tablet experience for mags and pdf's etc.; I have bought a Kobo Glo HD for my wife; so my summary for this device is, good hardware terrible software. The software is so slow; it takes ages to turn the pages; now I have started to turn the page before completing reading the last sentence. The software randomly crashes and resets itself esp. while reading pocket articles. The transition and illumination for both red and white lights seems so artificial and jerky; it's ugly. Did I say it's slow? I'm afraid the screen is not bright enough to read under direct sun light, like in a beach even with maximum brightness. It requires more polishing; this should not be even alpha software. I'll wait for a similar product from Amazon; if they give me same hardware and qualifications I'll most probably sell this and pass to that after waiting first Kobo to correct the software of this device.
aegeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #1380
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegeus View Post
so my summary for this device is, good hardware terrible software. The software is so slow; it takes ages to turn the pages; now I have started to turn the page before completing reading the last sentence. The software randomly crashes and resets itself esp. while reading pocket articles. The transition and illumination for both red and white lights seems so artificial and jerky; it's ugly. Did I say it's slow? I'm afraid the screen is not bright enough to read under direct sun light, like in a beach even with maximum brightness.
Epub page turns are slow-ish on all Kobos (which is to be expected, as they all run the same software and are pretty much the same CPU-wise). Use Calibre and the Kobo Touch Extended driver to send your epubs as kepubs. The kepub reader is much faster, as fast as the screen itself is.

I can't judge Pocket, as I have never used it.

The ComfortLight is an acquired taste, I guess; I don't like it much either, and have disabled it. Which is a simple setting.

'Not bright enough to read in direct sunlight''? It isn't a tablet, which has to overcome the outside light to be readable. E-ink is readable just fine in direct sunlight, even without the frontlight on, so I have no idea what you mean by this.

I find the Aura ONE the best reader I have ever used, and the software gives me no issues when reading Calibre-sent kepubs. Pity you don't like it.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo