Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
TaraMelody
TaraMelody began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Putting Calibre on my netbook

Due to my kindle DX screwing up titles of books, I downloaded the latest version of Calibre (2.0.0) it kept installed fine but then repeatedly crashed whenever I selected my ebook device with the only explanation being that an unknown error had occurred.
Thinking that the crash was just to do with my netbook being unable to process so much data, I downloaded an older version but the same thing happened.
Anyone have any idea what I can do to solve this?
All I'm really after is a sure way to change book names on my kindle when simply changing the file names doesn't work.
TaraMelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Netbook is way too generic.

OS, Processor, RAM...

Can you use the OS to ad and remove (test) titles to the DX?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:26 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMelody View Post
Thinking that the crash was just to do with my netbook being unable to process so much data, I downloaded an older version but the same thing happened.
Anyone have any idea what I can do to solve this?
Netbook means I'm guessing XP. Calibre 2.0 (or better, the Qt5 toolkit it uses) is known to have issues on XP, so much that as of tomorrow (29/8) Calibre 2.x will refuse to install on it.

Install 1.48 (the last version to use Qt4). If that crashes as well, we need more info, as theducks says.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You may wish to renovate your netbook by installing Linux Mint or Ubuntu. Both run a lot faster and are more up-to-date than WinXP, and calibre will almost certainly run smoother as a result.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You may wish to renovate your netbook by installing Linux Mint or Ubuntu. Both run a lot faster and are more up-to-date than WinXP, and calibre will almost certainly run smoother as a result.
I don't know about ubuntu, lubunu or kubuntu would probably be better if it is a netbook
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@TaraMelody - I know of a 3-4 year old HP Mini that runs calibre fine, it was Windows Starter, but we upgraded it to Premium (and from 1G to 2G RAM), it also runs MS Office 2010, MYOB and... Autocad Lite! It travels with the principal of a design studio.

According to CNET the HP Mini is/was a netbook

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-28-2014 at 06:54 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

calibre runs fine on my 256MB Ram 700mhz pc
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

My 15 year old pc
Old 09-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

MSO 2007 works good too

Tags
crashing, error message, issues, netbook