Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #541
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Announcement

The home page is being rearranged again to reflect the current sales as we progress from Black Friday to Cyber Monday to Cyber Week to Holiday Sales to Holiday Clearance Sales.

If you missed getting something over Black Friday be sure to visit the home page for the deals by category. They'll reflect the best current price. As a reference, I've included the retail price and lowest Black Friday price. That'll give you an idea on how good of a bargain you're getting.

Happy Shopping
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #542
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon is still running Black Friday pricing on their Sansa Clips in case you missed out.

See MP3 & Media Players for the latest prices.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #543
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

This is the last day for the SanDisk Cyber Monday Sale. Check them out for discounted prices on Sansa Clips, Flash Cards, and USB Flash Drives. These prices aren't necessarily the lowest prices we've seen this holiday season, so check the OP for the appropriate posts to compare prices before buying.

One particularly good deal is the 8GB Sansa Clip Zip Special Edition for $40. That price equals the lowest price the Zips have seen so far. The Special Edition is black with a silver control panel. It's the model Costco was selling last year for $40.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #544
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
One particularly good deal is the 8GB Sansa Clip Zip Special Edition for $40. That price equals the lowest price the Zips have seen so far. The Special Edition is black with a silver control panel. It's the model Costco was selling last year for $40.
That's a Special Edition? Who knew? That's the one I got last year, and I was always a bit puzzled about why the online images seemed only to show all black when I had black and silver.

Yesterday I received my blue 4gb Clip Zip from Best Buy, and my two 32gb mSDHC cards from Amazon--orders were placed on Thanksgiving! I ordered a gray 8gb Clip Zip from Amazon over the weekend--I just couldn't resist the price. And one more 32gb card from Amazon yesterday when I needed to reach the $25 minimum for free shipping.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #545
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Not a bad solution.
Wonder how many sticks you need to charge a laptop?
I'm not sure you could, since the power requirements are quite a bit different.

for that, store a 33AmH sealed gell battery (you can get a quite small, but heavy one; I have two, albeit for a different reason) and a larger, fold-up solar panel. Keep it topped up with a battery tender (get the waterproof one for ease of use).

Store high in your house (it's sealed, so no off-gassing to worry about), so it's well above any possible surge or flood levels or in your car (use a plug in charger to keep it topped up).

then, when power is out, you can move it to a sunny spot and lay out the solar charger (a fold out one will work, although bigger is better, of course).

Then, rig a dc charger using a plug-into-the car charger and a battery to power port adapter for the laptop. You can get one cheap that also has a couple of USB chargers on it, then use it for your laptop, phone, Kindle, etc.

Not quite as portable, but more powerful.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #546
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
That's a Special Edition? Who knew? That's the one I got last year, and I was always a bit puzzled about why the online images seemed only to show all black when I had black and silver.

Yesterday I received my blue 4gb Clip Zip from Best Buy, and my two 32gb mSDHC cards from Amazon--orders were placed on Thanksgiving! I ordered a gray 8gb Clip Zip from Amazon over the weekend--I just couldn't resist the price. And one more 32gb card from Amazon yesterday when I needed to reach the $25 minimum for free shipping.
I got one of those last year, too. Never did like that silver mixed in. I prefer all black devices.

Anyway, congrats on your haul. I've only received one thing so far - Roku HD. My Nexus 7 is out for delivery today. And I'm still waiting for all of my Amazon stuff.

This year, Amazon got most of my business. Last year, it was Best Buy.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #547
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
hey monkey, found you something for charging your toys:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIADLG/

(on lightning deals right now; batteries not included)
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #548
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
That thing is huge. That's one of those 'up on the housetop' things.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #549
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Hey that's a nice kit and a great price! Very similar to the one I put together from scratch!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #550
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That thing is huge. That's one of those 'up on the housetop' things.
Yep! Good Stuff!

Mine is just two (but larger) panels on my roof.

Unfortunately I disassembled and dumped the batteries (which were dying after several years) a few months ago. Panels are still on the roof but rest is currently disassembled.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-27-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #551
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hey that's a nice kit and a great price! Very similar to the one I put together from scratch!

Did you manage to do it for less than $170?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #552
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Did you manage to do it for less than $170?
Absolutely not. It's been a few years so I really don't remember, but pretty sure the two solar panel were more than that by themselves. ... I'd guess I probably spent $500-700 on it, including the deep-cycle batteries.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #553
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
So prices have really come down. Wonder how long it would take before you'd recover the investment today in something akin to New England climate?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #554
kennyc

Absolutely. All solar related equipment is getting cheaper all the time. No idea about recovering costs as mine was just playing around and for a bit of emergency type usage.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #555
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:

Seattle isn't known for an abundance of sunshine. Can you get a good solar charge even on cloudy days?

Quote:
This year, Amazon got most of my business. Last year, it was Best Buy.
I didn't purchase anything this year during Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I was even able to resist buying a Kindle Fire at $129. Last year, I went a little crazy on those shopping days and bought two tablets for myself from Best Buy. The deals were too good to pass up! This year I didn't see much that tempted me.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote