Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #466
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@GRiker - just a case of running the "Check broken image links" check against your library, and casting your eye down the log output to see if you have more books on there than you expect. For instance if you have loads of "titlepage.xhtml" missing their "cover.jpeg" (which seemed to be loximuthal's most common issue in the log I saw) then a quick sample of a couple of the books should show whether that is valid or it is reporting false positives as claimed
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #467
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLaFunk View Post
No Probs , was thinking I had a bit too much of that 12 year old malt last night
Well... Please feel free to share it with me if you think there is too much left
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #468
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: NST, Kindle Fire, iPad2
@kiwidude
Here's the log, check run on selection (your test) only:
Spoiler:
Code:
Test / kiwidude 
Resource: cover.jpeg with extension: .jpeg 
	Storing image for lookup as: cover.jpeg 
Resource: OEBPS/Text/book_content.html with extension: .html 
Resource: page_styles.css with extension: .css 
Resource: stylesheet.css with extension: .css 
Resource: titlepage.xhtml with extension: .xhtml 
Resource: toc.ncx with extension: .ncx 
Image map: {u'cover.jpeg': u'cover.jpeg'} 
Searching: OEBPS/Text/book_content.html 
	Image link found: ../images/nonexistent.jpeg - in - OEBPS/Text/book_content.html 
	  Relative path: oebps/images/nonexistent.jpeg 
	  Normalised name: oebps/images/nonexistent.jpeg 
	Broken image link in: OEBPS/Text/book_content.html  of  ../images/nonexistent.jpeg 
Searching: titlepage.xhtml 
	Image link found: cover.jpeg - in - titlepage.xhtml 
	  Relative path: cover.jpeg 
	  Normalised name: cover.jpeg

And on my book only, the one I sent you, there are no broken images found.

Also, sorry about the confusion on the log I sent. It was the check run against my whole library. Just not being very careful.
loximuthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #469
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thx loximuthal. So as expected that log above shows the same as everyone else, i.e. absolutely no issue.

Which means there must be a problem with those epubs in your log that you think are false positives. I need you to PM me a link to one of those that you think is an example of that (completely unmodified, copy it direct out of the calibre folder).
Old 05-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #470
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I need you to PM me a link to one of those that you think is an example of that (completely unmodified, copy it direct out of the calibre folder).
That's what I did with the original PM. The tweaking I mentioned earlier was what I had done some time ago, sort of a cleaning up operation. For what ever reason when I ran your debug version against my whole library only three books got flagged, including your test epub.

If you like I can make a new epub the same way I did the others, but not do the "clean up" in Sigil I usually do. Or send you one of the other two that are still being caught.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #471
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@loximuthal, I'm utterly confused.

The epub you sent me has no issues with it. You then said above "the one I sent you, there are no broken images found". So you agree with me. So what was the point of sending me that epub?

The log file you sent me, has that same epub name in it showing a whole bunch of missing images, which I "presumed" was why you had picked it out to send to me. However the log is showing missing images for files which are not in the epub you sent me. So clearly you ran that check against a different version of the epub.

So... either you have an epub which you think is a false positive on the report, or you don't. And if you do, that's what I need you to send me.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #472
loximuthal
Connoisseur

@kiwidude, I'll join you in confusion. When I ran the check originally it was against my whole library. In my initial post here I quoted only the lines directly relevant to one book, as an example. What I neglected to do, mostly because I had not remembered the scope option, was to run the check against one book and provide the full log for that. At that point the PI was catching a whole lot of books, most with one or two 'broken' images. That was the log that I PM'ed you which apparently you (quite reasonably) took to be the log for the single book I had also PM'ed you.

When you posted the debug version of the PI I installed it and followed your instructions to run the check against the test book. Which, as you noted, found exactly what you expected. Then I ran it against the book I had PM'ed you and forwarded that log. The only difference that I can tell is that when I ran the check with the non-debug PI it finds a problem but the debug version does not. Which I'm sure makes even less sense to you than it does to me. I'll try re-installing the non-debug version of the PI and run it on that book only, and let you know what happens.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #473
loximuthal
Connoisseur

non-debug version of PI:
Code:
The Monkey's Wedding / Joan Aiken 
	Broken image link in: OEBPS/Text/titlepage.xhtml  of  ../images/cover.jpeg
debug version of PI:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-05-20 at 7.13.04 AM.png
Views:	223
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	86634

restarting calibre each time installing a different version of the PI. Both checks are against the same book only that I PM'ed you before. I hope you can make sense of this, 'cause it's got me all messed up.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #474
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quality Check next version beta

Hmmm... so it sounds to me like something I changed in the debug version fixed things for you. I did make a few tweaks, one to do with paths that I wouldn't have thought needed doing but perhaps it did.

Here is a version I will release next with the logging ripped out and the addition of an icon in the menu to see at a glance what scope is currently set without diving into the submenu. Give this a whirl and confirm you are still happy with it doing the right thing.

Last edited by kiwidude; 05-20-2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Removed attachment as latest version officially released
Old 05-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #475
loximuthal
Connoisseur

That did the trick. Only three matches now: one is your test book, and the other two are mine and definitely have image problems. In both cases the image is visible in the book so I was surprised when the books were caught by the check initially. Looking carefully at the files I figured out why your check said the images were not actually in the book: they are stored on a website, and not within the book itself. I'll be bringing those images down and sticking them into the books so they are local.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #476
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.8.4 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Subtle enhancements to increase performance of a few checks to not scan irrelevant files.
  • Put an icon next to the Search scope submenu to show what scope is currently selected.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #477
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Speaking of covers, can you add a check if the cover will display in iBooks and if not, fix the OPF so it does?

Also, could you check the CSS and find all the CSS styles that are not used and delete them?

Also, what would be good is to allow quality check to check for a number of things at the same time instead of having to run it over and over for each check.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-20-2012 at 05:32 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #478
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just managed to get Quality Check to blow up...

Spoiler:
No supported meta tag or non-xml cover in: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle / David Wroblewski
No supported meta tag or non-xml cover in: Century 01 - Fall of Giants / Ken Follett
No supported meta tag or non-xml cover in: Rizzoli & Isles 01 - The Surgeon / Tess Gerritsen
No supported meta tag or non-xml cover in: Rizzoli & Isles 04 - Body Double / Tess Gerritsen
No supported meta tag or non-xml cover in: Watchers / Dean Koontz
No supported meta tag or non-xml cover in: Inn BoonsBoro 01 - The Next Always / Nora Roberts
ERROR parsing book: \\Kez\e\Calibre Library\Elizabeth\John Sandford\Lucas Davenport 01 - Rules of Prey (41)\Lucas Davenport 01 - Rules of Prey - John Sandford.epub
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.quality_check.check_epub", line 709, in evaluate_book
File "calibre_plugins.quality_check.check_epub", line 1636, in _get_opf_tree
File "lxml.etree.pyx", line 2743, in lxml.etree.fromstring (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:52665)
File "parser.pxi", line 1573, in lxml.etree._parseMemoryDocument (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:79932)
File "parser.pxi", line 1452, in lxml.etree._parseDoc (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:78774)
File "parser.pxi", line 960, in lxml.etree._BaseParser._parseDoc (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:75389)
File "parser.pxi", line 564, in lxml.etree._ParserContext._handleParseResultDoc (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:71739)
File "parser.pxi", line 645, in lxml.etree._handleParseResult (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:72614)
File "parser.pxi", line 585, in lxml.etree._raiseParseError (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:71955)
XMLSyntaxError: Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
Bytes: 0x97 0x74 0x6F 0x20, line 14, column 298
Old 05-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #479
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Speaking of covers, can you add a check if the cover will display in iBooks and if not, fix the OPF so it does?
Can you tell me what causes a cover to not display in iBooks and the fix? Don't really use iBooks myself. If it's simple enough to detect I can add it to the plugin.
Quote:
Also, could you check the CSS and find all the CSS styles that are not used and delete them?
theDucks has raised this previously. It is highly unlikely to happen imo - though if someone out there wants to have a go at implementing the logic for it they are welcome to send me a patch. It is far from trivial given all the permutations of how styles can be implemented and declared. And it is even less trivial to automate removal without rewriting the css. calibre takes care of all this when it does a conversion, but it does so by parsing and rewriting both the html and css files. Rewriting css/html is *not* in the vision stmt of Modify ePub so the fixing would likely remain a manual task unless you just reconvert with calibre.
Quote:
Also, what would be good is to allow quality check to check for a number of things at the same time instead of having to run it over and over for each check.
Yeah I've mentioned that as a possibility previously. However the biggest problem is not so much adding another UI option for running multiple checks so much as presenting the results in a meaningful way.

Think about the issues involved - lets say you select 10 books and run 5 checks against them, and get all sorts of permutations of issues with those books. How on earth are you going to clean them up in a meaningful way knowing what was wrong with each book? At its crudest it would have to be a log file listing by book all the things found wrong with it perhaps (and the search shown at the end are all the books that had "something" wrong). That leaves the onus on the user to copy that log text to notepad and have it open side by side while they go through and fix stuff, selecting different combinations of books manually if they are using Modify ePub to do so. It's a bit icky really.

However there is no doubt that if you have a certain "set" of checks that you think are appropriate for your library, and you want to sanity check either your whole library or books added since a certain date every now and then, that being able to bulk run like this would be less painful than individually running them all. So it will happen one day, it just needs some thought on how it should work.
Quote:
I've just managed to get Quality Check to blow up...
Well... not really. QC still ran to completion didn't it? It has just told you that you have a badly formed epub with the opf file inside it.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #480
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Yeah I've mentioned that as a possibility previously. However the biggest problem is not so much adding another UI option for running multiple checks so much as presenting the results in a meaningful way.

Think about the issues involved - lets say you select 10 books and run 5 checks against them, and get all sorts of permutations of issues with those books. How on earth are you going to clean them up in a meaningful way knowing what was wrong with each book? At its crudest it would have to be a log file listing by book all the things found wrong with it perhaps (and the search shown at the end are all the books that had "something" wrong). That leaves the onus on the user to copy that log text to notepad and have it open side by side while they go through and fix stuff, selecting different combinations of books manually if they are using Modify ePub to do so. It's a bit icky really.

However there is no doubt that if you have a certain "set" of checks that you think are appropriate for your library, and you want to sanity check either your whole library or books added since a certain date every now and then, that being able to bulk run like this would be less painful than individually running them all. So it will happen one day, it just needs some thought on how it should work.
Well, what I think is to run whatever is selected against each book and then if any issue is found, present it to the user for that one book. Then when that is over, move on until the next book has an error. That would do in the short term until a better way can be figured out.

Quote:
Well... not really. QC still ran to completion didn't it? It has just told you that you have a badly formed epub with the opf file inside it.
Sure, the ePub in question may have some file that's not UTF-8, but to the user, it looks like it's crashed. The OPF & CSS were encoded in ANSI and when I converted them to UTF-8 without BOM, the crash stopped. Another check you can add in is for proper UTF-8 without BOM encoding. Also, to not have it blow up on ANSI.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-20-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: added opening quote