Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
VividTree
VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo touch
Hi Joykins, can you please tell me what exactly did you try to do? The dials will not work if you don't have javascript enabled, but then the site would show you a warning about that. If you don't see that warning, everything should work fine.

The main page just shows most popular North American readers, but then they go away when you start adjusting the parameters.
VividTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:26 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Good point - but I suspect most would-be buyers will be more concerned with the bottom line from their pocket, rather than how cheaper it might be elsewhere.
No, you misunderstand me - I'm agreeing with you . What I'm saying is that if you're in the UK, like we both are, then we probably don't care what a device costs in the US; we want to know what it's going to cost us here in the UK. Hence a simple conversion of the US$ price is not much use to us.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-24-2012 at 04:42 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #18
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you misunderstand me - I'm agreeing with you . What I'm saying is that if you're in the UK, like we both are, then we probably don't care what a device costs in the US; we want to know what it's going to cost us here in the UK. Hence a simple conversion of the US$ price is not much use to us.

Well, prices will never be up to date without an enormous amount of leg work and and multiplying it by the 100 or so first and second world countries make it seem pretty daunting. What if you just categorized the target demographics for a given product. I would think that would remain constant regardless of country. (Categories like "Budget", "mid priced", "high-end" are what I'm thinking of).
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Well, prices will never be up to date without an enormous amount of leg work and and multiplying it by the 100 or so first and second world countries make it seem pretty daunting. What if you just categorized the target demographics for a given product. I would think that would remain constant regardless of country. (Categories like "Budget", "mid priced", "high-end" are what I'm thinking of).
Trouble is, though, it's not. Eg, in the US, the Kindle and the Sony PRS-T1 cost pretty much the same. In the UK, the Sony is almost double the price of the Kindle. That's a pretty important difference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #20
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by VividTree View Post
Hi Joykins, can you please tell me what exactly did you try to do? The dials will not work if you don't have javascript enabled, but then the site would show you a warning about that. If you don't see that warning, everything should work fine.

The main page just shows most popular North American readers, but then they go away when you start adjusting the parameters.
Is that useful? It's like a search that yields nothing.

I thought the parameters were supposed to be for filtering the entire list of e-readers. At least that would be useful.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #21
VividTree
VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Is that useful? It's like a search that yields nothing.

I thought the parameters were supposed to be for filtering the entire list of e-readers. At least that would be useful.
It is actually filtering from the entire list of ereaders. You are right, perhaps that's not obvious if only 5 readers are displayed on the main page. I probably should show the entire list of ereaders right from the beginning.

But try it, the filters actually work on the entire database.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #22
VividTree

About availability in countries and stores. This is actually a much bigger and much more difficult task to accomplish than gathering information about ereaders. Moreover, this should be an automated task, as it would be impossible for me to track daily prices on hundreds of sites manually. I'm still researching ways of how this can be done.

As for currency converter, I think it's a good idea. I think I can convert the price to the currency of the country where the person is coming from automatically. I will put this on my todo list.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #23
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
A better way than automatic currency conversion is to let the user set currency of choice. If I access from Sweden I'd be more interested in USD pricing, because that what I eventually would pay, than SEK pricing.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:26 AM   #24
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
I enjoyed visiting the site and learned a thing or two.

But I can't shake the feeling that the filters are going to lead lots of people astray. Someone already very familiar with eReaders would be an ideal user of the site, but someone considering purchasing their first eReader will have no idea of the issues and tradeoffs involved.

A real novice might be glad if your site would take them through the features and discuss why a person might make one choice over another, and recommend feature sets based on user profiles, and point out features that come down solely to personal preference.
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:17 AM   #25
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
VividTree, it looks great, but I see that you haven't yet included my favorite, the Ectaco jetBook Lite, as well as the original Ectaco jetBook.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #26
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I love the idea. When I was first shopping for an ebook, I wanted those filters -- I wanted to filter by screen size, touch capability, and so forth. Love it!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #27
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by VividTree View Post
It is actually filtering from the entire list of ereaders. You are right, perhaps that's not obvious if only 5 readers are displayed on the main page. I probably should show the entire list of ereaders right from the beginning.

But try it, the filters actually work on the entire database.
Now it works like I expected it to
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #28
VividTree

Thank you everyone for taking a look and for your wonderful feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn
A better way than automatic currency conversion is to let the user set currency of choice. If I access from Sweden I'd be more interested in USD pricing, because that what I eventually would pay, than SEK pricing.
Ok, got it, I will provide a choice of currency. Or better a currency setting that can be remembered in a cookie, so that you don't need to change it every time you want to see the price. There's one complication as well - the filtering by price. I should probably make it possible to filter by price in the selected currency as well. But I'll do my best to add that functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHex
But I can't shake the feeling that the filters are going to lead lots of people astray. Someone already very familiar with eReaders would be an ideal user of the site, but someone considering purchasing their first eReader will have no idea of the issues and tradeoffs involved.

A real novice might be glad if your site would take them through the features and discuss why a person might make one choice over another, and recommend feature sets based on user profiles, and point out features that come down solely to personal preference.
This is exactly the reason why I'd like to have a wizard mode as well, to guide people through simpler choices explaining the trade-offs along the way. This is already planned and hope I'll be able to add that functionality within a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell
VividTree, it looks great, but I see that you haven't yet included my favorite, the Ectaco jetBook Lite, as well as the original Ectaco jetBook.
Thanks for pointing me to these! Will add the Ectaco readers shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll
I love the idea. When I was first shopping for an ebook, I wanted those filters -- I wanted to filter by screen size, touch capability, and so forth. Love it!
Thank you anamardoll! I'm so happy it's useful! Looks like many people have the same trouble I had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins
Now it works like I expected it to
Old 01-26-2012, 02:06 AM   #29
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Informative website. Too bad there are no euro prices or a list of devices available in Europe.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #30
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
You know what else would be a good filter? DRM compatibility. I'm guessing that 90% of the "9.7 screen + epub" devices I'm salivating over are Adobe DRM compatible, but I don't see that right off the bat. I'm imaging three drops: Amazon DRM, B&N DRM, and Adobe DRM. (Yes, I know B&N DRM is Adobe-based, but it requires a GUI for entering name and credit card details.)

I'd personally prefer the filters all stacked vertically instead of horizontally scattered like that, but I like everything NEAT UND TIDY.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison, database, ereader