Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Browse your calibre book collection from anywhere

As of version 0.4.102 (released later today) calibre has a built-in webserver that will allow you to access your books from anywhere in the world using a web browser. See attached screenshots

You can run the server from the GUI by using the config dialog or from the command line by using the command calibre-server

Note that while running both the command line server and the GUI at the same time is possible, it is not recommended.

At the moment the web interface allows readonly access (i.e. you cannot add books or edit metadata).

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	server1.png
Views:	4582
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	17633   Click image for larger version

Name:	server2.png
Views:	3389
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	17634  
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Nice, I'll give it a try today
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 05:51 AM   #3
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
C:\Documents and Settings\Simon>calibre-server
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "server.py", line 15, in <module>
File "cherrypy\__init__.pyo", line 161, in <module>
File "cherrypy\_cptools.pyo", line 226, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name tidy
It doesn't seem to want to run on my XP SP2 system (upgraded from .101)
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm looks like the windows freezing process has left out a few neccessary modules. I'll fix that in the next release.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Raduz
Raduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheese

Device: PRS-505, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 983, in communicate
File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 304, in parse_request
File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 317, in _parse_request
File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 212, in readline
File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 823, in readline
AttributeError: 'cStringIO.StringO' object has no attribute 'find'
Running on Debian testing
Raduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Does that happen on startup or when you make a request? calibre requires cherrypy >= 3.1 It has a bundled sherrypy but your system cherrypy appears to be interfering.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 11-06-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:36 AM   #7
Raduz
Raduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheese

Device: PRS-505, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Does that happen on startup or when you make a request? calibre requires cherrypy >= 3.1 It has a bundled sherrypy but your system cherrypy appears to be interfering.
Startup is apparently ok (no errors in server log), but I get previously mentioned error message when I click "Test server", or try access the server directly from a web browser. I don't have any system-wide version of Cherrypy installed. Python version is 2.5.2.
Raduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
Cold
Cold began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Really liking this feature

I run Calibre on a machine inside my home network and I have an Apache server on the edge of the network. I serve all the internal applications I use (Well, those with web interfaces) to the outside using this server via mod_proxy and mod_proxy_html (if required).

Calibres new web UI *nearly* works with this out of the box.

The issue I have is the gui.js file has references to /library and /get (The ajax calls for data) ... and I can't easily rewrite those.

Would you consider changing gui.js so that it's aware of the path it's been served from and sticks that in front of those two URIs?

Maybe using something like:

Code:
path = self.location.pathname.substring(0,self.location.pathname.lastIndexOf('/')));
Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
You can run the server from the GUI by using the config dialog or from the command line by using the command calibre-server
I assume this doesn't set up a demon by default I hope.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold View Post
Really liking this feature

I run Calibre on a machine inside my home network and I have an Apache server on the edge of the network. I serve all the internal applications I use (Well, those with web interfaces) to the outside using this server via mod_proxy and mod_proxy_html (if required).

Calibres new web UI *nearly* works with this out of the box.

The issue I have is the gui.js file has references to /library and /get (The ajax calls for data) ... and I can't easily rewrite those.

Would you consider changing gui.js so that it's aware of the path it's been served from and sticks that in front of those two URIs?

Maybe using something like:

Code:
path = self.location.pathname.substring(0,self.location.pathname.lastIndexOf('/')));

Is your goal to get this to run under Apache directly?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #11
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Is your goal to get this to run under Apache directly?
I believe he's just using Apache's reverse proxy features to provide access to various _other_ webservers on his network. Very handy and works well.

Cheers,
Crazy
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I assume this doesn't set up a demon by default I hope.

BOb
No it doesn't, assuming by demon you mean daemon
Old 11-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raduz View Post
Startup is apparently ok (no errors in server log), but I get previously mentioned error message when I click "Test server", or try access the server directly from a web browser. I don't have any system-wide version of Cherrypy installed. Python version is 2.5.2.
How have you installed calibre? via the binary installer or easy_install?
Old 11-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Cold

Would it help if gui.js used relative paths instead of absolute ones?

EDIT: I've changed gui.js to use the hostname+absolute path

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 11-07-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
No it doesn't, assuming by demon you mean daemon
Yes... and I have seen it spelled both ways.

Thanks,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote