Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #1
Rewarp
Rewarp began at the beginning.

Device: Zareason Zatab2
Frequent file corruption when transferring files using CC

First of all, thank you for this convenient project. If it works without issue, this would be the perfect reading management application.

That said, I have tried over the past week to transfer files using the "Wireless device" setting in Calibre and CC and unfortunately, most of the files I moved to the tablet is regretfullly corrupted.

This seems more likely when I am moving a whole bunch of books at the same time.

I usuallly move my files using KDE Connect, and file transfer is usually error free, barring the occasional corruption issue as well, though not to the extent of approximately 80% of my transferred books.

The books are moved to the external MicroSD card directly using CC, which is a 64 GB FAT32 filesystem.

I can send an example of two ebooks. One corrypted file from the tablet, and a working one from my Calibre library.
Rewarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It is almost certain that the corruption is caused by the SD card, either because it is faulty, because the file system is corrupted, or because the device does not know how to use such a large card. This position is supported by KDE Connect also producing corrupted files.

You can easily test this by changing CC's book directory to the device's main memory, sending some books, and seeing if they are corrupted. Another test would be to try a different SD card that is smaller and made by a known reliable company. If your device is rooted then a third check would be to do a file system check of the SD card as described on this page.

If for some reason you don't want to do these tests and if you have purchased CC then contact us for a refund.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I haven't encountered any corruptions in the past four months of using CC.

I even transferred all my books (1 thousand plus) to my phone all in one go and didn't have any corrupted files.

I'm using a 32GB SanDisk one.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:41 PM   #4
Rewarp
Rewarp began at the beginning.

Device: Zareason Zatab2
I just did a test transfer of a lot of books to the internal SD Card. You are right. My external SD Card has problems. I will see what I can do to fix it, thanks for the tips!

It would appear I am just lucky that KDE Connect somehow transfers most of my files without corruption directly to the micro SD card. Maybe there is some checksum going on, or something.

Anyway, I won't ask for a refund, because I would like to support the further development of Calibre anyway. Thanks for helping to make such a fantastic project better!
Rewarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:42 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewarp View Post
I just did a test transfer of a lot of books to the internal SD Card. You are right. My external SD Card has problems. I will see what I can do to fix it, thanks for the tips!
The first thing to try is to reformat the card. If that doesn't fix it then because some cards report more space than they actually have, try reformatting the card using less space than the card says it has.

If you have access to a card reader then you can use one of the test programs to verify the card. Try http://oss.digirati.com.br/f3/ for linux or http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/.../H2testw.shtml for windows.
Quote:
Anyway, I won't ask for a refund, because I would like to support the further development of Calibre anyway. Thanks for helping to make such a fantastic project better!
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:29 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Apart from what chaley recommended. I would also recommend to format your card to exFAT instead of Fat32.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs, calibre compa