Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #76
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Tom, I'm also wondering about what's the final decision on some things we discussed some months ago? Maybe you are waiting til the end of the year to announce things?

The reason I ask, is because for one I requested and others supported a sensible rule on not nominating the same book month after month (possibly within a six month time frame). The prime example I gave was Storm Front. It's been allowed this month even though Jon surely nominated it only to goad us and it's been included in the poll THREE different times in the last six months, and this would make the fourth.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #77
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Tom, To the Lighthouse only has 2 nominations, not three!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #78
narflet
narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 3
I'm going to use another of my votes to second A Study in Scarlet. I recently got a complete set of Sherlock Holmes, so that's another thing on my 'to read' list anyway!

Also, seeing as it's come up in this tread (and being that I'm new to this), can I ask if you've set any rules on what constitutes a classic, thus setting nominating criteria? I had a little look around on other threads (specifically the Book Clubs Selections list) but couldn't find anything obvious.

I'm not trying to incite a heated discussion on personal viewpoints here, I'm just curious and simply want a 'yes, the rules are x [link]' or 'no, it's up to personal judgement' type answer! Thanks.

Last edited by narflet; 11-21-2011 at 02:42 PM.
narflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #79
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Tom, I'm also wondering about what's the final decision on some things we discussed some months ago? Maybe you are waiting til the end of the year to announce things?

The reason I ask, is because for one I requested and others supported a sensible rule on not nominating the same book month after month (possibly within a six month time frame). The prime example I gave was Storm Front. It's been allowed this month even though Jon surely nominated it only to goad us and it's been included in the poll THREE different times in the last six months, and this would make the fourth.
Let's talk about that after the nominations are in.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #80
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narflet View Post
I'm going to use another of my votes to second A Study in Scarlet. I recently got a complete set of Sherlock Holmes, so that's another thing on my 'to read' list anyway!

Also, seeing as it's come up in this tread (and being that I'm new to this), can I ask if you've set any rules on what constitutes a classic, thus setting nominating criteria? I had a little look around on other threads (specifically the Book Clubs Selections list) but couldn't find anything obvious.

I'm not trying to incite a heated discussion on personal viewpoints here, I'm just curious and simply want a 'yes, the rules are x [link]' or 'no, it's up to personal judgement' type answer! Thanks.
We've batted this question back and forth and as far as I can tell, it comes down to a question of personal judgment. Although I'm pretty sure that there are not many college level classes on the classics that include an in-depth discussion of Storm Front.
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #81
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narflet View Post
No. There are no official rules in place.

Edit: Cross posted with Tom.

So yeah, what he said!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #82
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Let's talk about that after the nominations are in.
Yes, but what if Storm Front gets that final nomination? I hope it won't, but if it does, it could be in the poll and possibly win the month!

I'm tempted to third another book just to prevent it (as besides Storm Front, I like all the seconded books), but I won't in hopes someone will third To The Lighthouse.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #83
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Well, anything we decide will have to be for 2012. In the meantime, I suppose we'll just have to trust the judgment of our members when they go into the polling booth.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #84
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Okay, than number three for "To The Lighthouse"
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #85
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Woot!! That makes Nomination #10!!! Yay!!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #86
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Great!!!! Let the voting begin!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Thanks, Jon, although I really don't believe that November 2000 is qualified to be counted as a Book Club "classic".

........ ME?

I think we were both editing at the same time at one point. Thanks for fixing that Tom.

11 years is definitely long enough to count as a classic. Have you ever listened to your local classic rock station(s)? They play tunes less then 11 years old. So there's no reason 11 years cannot be a classic.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #88
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Woohoo!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #89
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

The Voting thread is up.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Yes, but what if Storm Front gets that final nomination? I hope it won't, but if it does, it could be in the poll and possibly win the month!

I'm tempted to third another book just to prevent it (as besides Storm Front, I like all the seconded books), but I won't in hopes someone will third To The Lighthouse.
This is the problem with the term classic. It just doesn't have a clear definition. I do think Storm Front is a classic. You don't. But you also seconded Lolita which makes your taste in books highly suspect. You really should stay way from books on pedophilia which is what that trash is. Now, what one person thinks is a classic, others think not. Hence the disagreeing we have come to. This is why we really need to dump classic as a type since it;s not really a type. It's more an opinion. I've read books I could call classic that are fairly recent books. But some definitions of classic are just plain wrong and others not good enough. There is no definition of classic that fits all cases and there never will be. You think pedophilia is classic, I think science fiction is classic.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-21-2011 at 06:45 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, december, nominations