Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2007, 08:59 PM   #46
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
well if it can use AAA alkalines it can also use AAA rechargeables :-) It would "not" be hard on sony's part to make operation indistinguishable to what you have now. Plug it in recharge it with the only difference being that in 5-6 years when those batteries have had it you walk into radio shack and buy another set for $4 :-) But even still if I had to choose between plugging it in every week (yes I need to recharge it every week) and changing batteries twice a year tops. I would pick changing batteries twice a year :-) in fact I would probably not even bother with rechargables with that kind of battery life :-)
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:36 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
NOW something like this reader with an "open" format support has no "real" lifespan. it will work as good today and still work as good 5 years from now and 20 years from now. Paper is Paper. no bulbs to burn out as long as I care for it the ONLY thing keeping it from lasting 20+ years is that god damned battery.
Does an eInk screen have an unlimited lifespan? Will it really work for 20 years? Many people have reported that their screen doesn't have nearly as good a contrast 6 months down the line as it did when new. What's it going to be like in 20 years?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #48
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Both sides represent good points.
In my case I just hate the fact that I'd have to send the reader back for battery replacement and at what price? Oh and compound this with the fact that the acquisition of the device from a 'Foreigner' was not really regarded.

This is, because of my failing eyesight, my only reading device so far. (forget the Nano) and I use it dayly. It would be troubling to be left without it. I should really think about getting a second eink device. Hmm...now what should I find this time?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #49
pgt
pgt doesn't litterpgt doesn't litterpgt doesn't litter

Device: Sonny PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pglaskowsky View Post
My PRS-500 broke last week
I think this probably means that there's a new model coming and Sony is selling off the last of the old stock directly rather than through major channels like Amazon.

. png

New model PRS505SC is available for pre-order at :
http://www.abtelectronics.com/script...id=30507&tab=0
http://www.abtelectronics.com/photos/30507.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big_prs505sc.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	5404  
pgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #50
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Very interesting. Great first post!

It looks kinda cool in silver... I don't know about the buttons on the side though. I guess it makes more sense with the way their file browser is setup.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #51
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes those buttons might be somewhat in the way. But controls on the right side finally... ahhh! That's nice.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #52
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
iRiver's Book2 reader was supposed to use AAA batteries. But we really don't have a single news about this one...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #53
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Yes those buttons might be somewhat in the way. But controls on the right side finally... ahhh! That's nice.
Just when I've grown accustomed to changing the page with my left hand.

Looks like it's just a re-packaging of the old reader.

Last edited by slayda; 09-10-2007 at 12:13 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #54
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
The new directional dial is much better than the joystick, which I hate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big_prs505sc.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	5405  
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only change I can see in the spec is that they appear to have doubled the internal memory (it now says "160 books" rather than "80 books").
Old 09-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #56
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I can't tell from these specs whether we're talking Vizplex or not here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #57
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Any one care to make this picture frontpage?
I think it's worthy news!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #58
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

There seems to be a protruding ridge on top the length of the right side. I wonder what that is. Means it won't fit in my boxes anymore!
Old 09-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
There seems to be a protruding ridge on top the length of the right side. I wonder what that is. Means it won't fit in my boxes anymore!
If you look at the full-size picture, you'll see it's where the new page forward/back buttons are.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I can't tell from these specs whether we're talking Vizplex or not here.
I'm pretty sure it will be. I believe that eInk have switched over all their production to that now. Not that I suspect it's going to make any practical difference to anyone. Still, faster page turns will be nice.