Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
dkritso109
Enthusiast
dkritso109 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Problem with update

I updated from 0.7.24 to 0.7.26 with that update i got a suprising new addition to downloading metadata. now it gets info and summaries from multiple different sources such as amazon and publishers weekly. i love this, the comments always had something in it which is extremely useful. buuuuut there is just one new little glitch which is turning into a hassle. about 80% of the time when i download metadata in bulk it doesn't download the tags. when i go into edit metadata individually the tags come up. so i'm having to re-do many books individually. this has become annoying. can anyone help?
dkritso109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
post the isbns of a few books that dont have their tags retrieved in bulk download mode.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
dkritso109
Enthusiast
dkritso109 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
There were dozens and dozens of books that when i did bulk metadata download mode the tags didn't come up then when i went into individual edit i press the fetch metadata button and *poof* the tags and everything else comes up. i do not change the isbn in any way. the same isbn.
i have already manually changed most of them but here's a recent one i just tried.
here's another
so like i said everything comes up except tags, then when i do the individual edit i fetch the metadata and the tags come and it duplicates the comments.
dkritso109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am unable to replicate this. I dont get tags for those books in either single or bulk download. Which is not surprising since they dont have tags in any of the metadata sources (amazon recently stopped supplying tags in their metadata)
Old 11-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

EDIT: Wait I had tags download from google books disabled which was why I wasn't getting tags.
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Are you selecting download all metadata or download only social metadata when bulk downloading?

EDIT: With the tags download from google enabled, I get tags in both individual and bulk downloads for both books

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 11-01-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:16 AM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I often have to download the metadata twice to get tags. Recent change I think
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
This is doing a bulk download?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
redadept13
avid reader
redadept13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I'm having an odd issue with the latest version, 0.7.26.

When downloading the social metadata for books, I get all the xml coding. For example, here's the info I get for Against a Dark Background, ISBN 9780316036375.

Quote:
<h3>From Library Journal</h3>
<p>On the run from a cult of intergalactic religious fanatics who want her death,
the Lady Sharrow emerges from retirement to seek out a powerful artifact that
may save her life--the legendary Lady Gun, a weapon that kills by altering the
reality around it. The author of Consider Phlebas ( LJ 5/15/88) and The Player
of Games ( LJ 2/15/89) has constructed a richly hued, far-future tapestry for
his latest space adventure. Sophisticated prose, complex characters, and an
unbridled imagination combine in this tale of high drama and intrigue. A good
choice for most libraries.
</p>
<p>Copyright 1993 Reed Business Information, Inc.
</p>

<h3>Product Description</h3>
<p>Sharrow was once the leader of a personality-attuned combat team in one of the
sporadic little commercial wars in the civilization based around the planet
Golter. Now she is hunted by the Huhsz, a religious cult which believes that
she is the last obstacle before the faith's apotheosis, and her only hope of
escape is to find the last of the apocalyptically powerful Lazy Guns before
the Huhsz find her.
</p>
<p>Her journey through the exotic Golterian system is a destructive and savage
odyssey into her past, and that of her family and of the system itself.
</p>
redadept13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe

This is doing a bulk download?
It is doing it either way.
I did a bulk download and no tags on many files and then I did individual downloads with tags being added.
Numerous individual downloads have no tags, but clicking download again supplies the tags.
Haven't tried bulk downloading twice in a row.
Helen

PS BTW this has happened in the past (July, August on a different computer) and then stops happening. Also I am getting odd titles like untitled #12 and of course unknown lately. Not a big inconvenience or anything, just to let you know
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@speakingtohe: That sounds like your having server/connection issues. Basically, the first time you try, the connection to the one metadata server that has tags fails, giving you no tags, the next time it succeeds, giving you tags.