Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
AutumnDreamer
Enthusiast
AutumnDreamer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 2
Question Updating Meta Data/Info of book on Kindle

I thought we were supposed to be able to update meta data or info involving our books after they were on our device. Or did I read that wrong? I did some searching here on the forums and can't find the answer I'm looking for.

I have some books on my Kindle and they are in a series. Because Kindle now allows for "Collections" I like to keep them together but often get confused with books that are in a series. I have begun to put [1], [2], etc in the title to help me. I wanted to add those numbers on some of the books I already have loaded on my Kindle, but changes aren't coming up.

Preferences > Add/Save > Sending to Device

I put Meta Data management to automatic.

When I have my Kindle connected and browse through the books on it, the tool tip pops up and says "Double click to edit" but it doesn't do anything at all.

Is this a bug, am I misunderstanding something, or do I just have to resend the file?
AutumnDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
In another thread, the developer (Kovid) suggested to convert from mobi to mobi, for the metadata to show up on the kindle as changed with calibre.
However, I tried it once, and it messed up the special anchors like the start_reading point.

So I searched a little more, and now use the mobi2mobi script (found here in the forums, search for mobiperl scripts) and it works like a charm, not touching any of the other "special features" like TOC, cover, special anchors etc.
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
AutumnDreamer
Enthusiast

Yes, I tried reconverting and all it did was send another file to my Kindle with the additional/changed info.

Thanks for the info on the script. I will have to search for it and see if I can figure out how it works. I'm not too technical when it comes to programming and customizing the Calibre features.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:31 AM   #4
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

The scripts are found here, you most likely need only the attached Mobi2Mobi_GUI_VB_v7.zip.

Don't use the GUI, as it doesn't work (didn't for me) - just use mobi2mobi.exe - if you need help using it, I could try to explain or make some screenshots.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
AutumnDreamer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear4hunter View Post
The scripts are found here, you most likely need only the attached Mobi2Mobi_GUI_VB_v7.zip.

Don't use the GUI, as it doesn't work (didn't for me) - just use mobi2mobi.exe - if you need help using it, I could try to explain or make some screenshots.
Thank you for your input. I've downloaded the suggested file and will try that.

Scratch that - the file won't run for me.

Last edited by AutumnDreamer; 07-24-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
bear4hunter
Addict

You can't "run" it as a normal program, you have to open the command prompt and then type mobi2mobi.exe with the params of your choice

You open the command prompt through start -> run -> cmd.exe
You than navigate to the folder with mobi2mobi.exe

If you only type mobi2mobi.exe without any params, you get the "help" shown in my screen

e.G.
mobi2mobi.exe --title "New Title" --outfile test.mobi book.mobi
changes the title from book.mobi to New Title, and saves the changed file under test.mobi, leaving book.mobi untouched.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zwischenablagebild.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	55649