Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
ZachC
ZachC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
PRS-500 battery problem, but the battery's not the problem

Hello forum-goers. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my issue here.

After I've had my reader for 1.5 - 2 years or so, the battery life really went downhill. Charging it became a weekly activity, and I was certainly not getting thousands of page turns. In fact, the battery would go dead in about a week even if I did not use it at all.

Then I sent it in for the epub upgrade. The battery acted the same when I got it back, so I put in a new battery that I got from smavbattery.com, and there is no change. It doesn't seem to be just a faulty battery indicator, because the device wouldn't boot after it depleted all the way. I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be. I also wonder if getting the epub upgrade means I can't also trade it in for $50 off a pocket edition.

Thanks.
ZachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, ZachC.

Someone will jump in soon with help.......in the meantime, enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
There are several of us that have noticed the battery life being close to 50% of what it was prior to the epub "upgrade". I don't use an sd card, have the slideshow turned off, have the power save mode turned on, and don't use the epub files on my device (I convert to lrf - epub sucks). I've definitely noticed the battery life being pretty poor after getting my device back.

I think the only hope we have is if Sony offers an update to the new firmware to fix the problem (doubt that'll happen), or if someone can figure out how to hack the new firmware like they've done with the original 500/505/600.

The battery issue has been mentioned on other threads, so you're not alone - but I don't think there's a fix.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
ZachC

I've seen the other threads about short battery life, but the two weird things about my case are that I had the problem before the upgrade (in fact, I hoped the upgrade might fix it), and that the problem persists even after changing the battery. I just emailed Sony, explaining the problem, and also asking if I can still do the trade-in after getting the upgrade. I'll post what I find out.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
ZachC

Just adding some closure to this post. No one at tech support seemed to even understand the question of whether I could still trade-in after having upgraded, which I took to mean that Sony never even considered the possibility. I took it to a Sony Style retail location (after putting the old battery back in, although I doubt I'll ever have any use for the new one now) and traded it in with no problem.
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Interesting that swapping the battery disproves battery problem. My observation has been increased discharge during sleep mode. Firmware issue..
Some process 'hanging around' most likely.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
..same here. Like April, I'm pretty convinced this has less to do with ePub and more with not properly suspending the processor when in sleep mode.

If you're having this problem after the upgrade, please let Sony know. Perhaps if they are convinced it's not an isolated problem, they'll figure out the software fix.

If anyone is curious, here's some current measurements made by DiabloNL - back when we were complaining about the battery going flat in a month

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=163

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
ZachC

An interesting experiment would have been to shut it all the way down and see if the battery still drained, but it's too late for me to try it.