Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
l1n1234
Enthusiast
l1n1234 doesn't litterl1n1234 doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Kindle for tech users?

I have noticed the Kindle being usually recommended for non-tech users, but just out of curiosity is there something about the Kindle that makes it not good for a technically inclined person. It just seems to me that the Kindle would be more easily hackable because it has so many features already built-in that could be modified by someone like Igorsk (qwerty keyboard, search feature, browser, etc.) But I am not a programmer or engineer so I do not know if there is something inherent in the Device that makes it not so amenable to mods by techies.
l1n1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
My baseline "techie" criteria is the availability of a screenshot utility. Only the Kindle and the iLiad have one. The developers of the Kindle software, lab126, are clearly techies and have designed a very clean interface to the device. Lab126 also added many more features (like the screenshot utility) than are exposed in the documentation, but so far I am not aware of any hacks to the actual software. One I would really like to see is a method to replace the default font.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
There are hacky techies and there are techies who just want the latest and greatest. I really don't see that much hacking potential on a Kindle, I think once someone starts hacking the wireless capabilities mother ship will cut the tether.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
l1n1234
Enthusiast
l1n1234 doesn't litterl1n1234 doesn't litter

Device: kindle
I guess not just hacks but also mods and utilities. If you look at the Sony forum here it looks like there is a lot more activity even for the 505. Of course the Sony readers have been around longer. Maybe the Kindle is just a turnoff for techies. I hope not because like Wallcraft I would also love to have a method to change fonts like the Gen3.
l1n1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
as the Kindle ages I'm sure we will see more mods come out

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1n1234 View Post
I guess not just hacks but also mods and utilities. If you look at the Sony forum here it looks like there is a lot more activity even for the 505. Of course the Sony readers have been around longer. Maybe the Kindle is just a turnoff for techies. I hope not because like Wallcraft I would also love to have a method to change fonts like the Gen3.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert