Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Dystopic YA fiction serves a purpose

Old article but since news are slow:

http://www.examiner.com/article/why-...ian-literature

Quote:
What is it about dystopian Young Adult Literature that young folks need so much?

It provides a healthy outlet for exploring socially-unacceptable topics within our own spheres and communities.
It helps us see new, different perspectives than we're capable of from our own limited experience.
It helps us sort out and express feelings and emotions, providing cathartic release and relief.
It inspires us with often-courageous, defiant (in a healthy way), quirky & unique protagonists (main characters) who overcome barriers and limitations. Where true life often fails to provide heroes, young adult literature steps up and shows us young men and young women who struggle and fail, but also learn and win.
More at the source.

I always thought dystopias were useful because they are easy to build out of contemporary anxieties and easy to build conflict into.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Their main purpose is to sell books by playing to teenage angst, to my mind. (Which, I hasten to add, I have absolutely no disagreement with. Anything that sells books is good.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Their main purpose is to sell books by playing to teenage angst, to my mind. (Which, I hasten to add, I have absolutely no disagreement with. Anything that sells books is good.)
The authors are doing so many teen dystopias, they apparently feel a need to justify them. Even back in 2011.
No end in sight, either.

Thing is, many are readable and a few genuinely good.
(Pretty much like most genres.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Seconding.

Quote:
It inspires us with often-courageous, defiant (in a healthy way), quirky & unique protagonists (main characters) who overcome barriers and limitations.
Isn't that the purpose of YA in general??
And most any "genre fiction"?
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not fond of the YA label (plenty fond of some of the stuff that gets painted by that brush, though)--whether it's attached to dystopia or otherwise. I've read many a "YA" book that I'd have never really considered YA if it hadn't been labeled so at the time of its publication. I don't even think YA is being marketed to young readers all that much any more. Nowadays, it seems to be marketed toward Regular Adults who enjoyed a lot of books that were labeled Young Adult in the past. A self-perpetuating misnomer, if you will. In fact, most of the "YA" stuff I've enjoyed; I'd label "All Ages" (if I had to label it anything). It's like the marketing equivalent of a McGuffin most times, if you ask me.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-06-2014 at 03:33 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
As far as I can tell, the purpose of Dystopian YA fiction is to entertain people other than me. Since there are billions of "not-me's" in the world and only one me, I think it makes a lot of sense.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It just doesn't interest me (though TBH, dystopias have always been a tough sell for me).
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
Blithe
Blithe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
As far as I'm concerned, the purpose of dystopian YA is to provide entertainment.
Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #8
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I really liked the Hunger Games series. While I like dystopias that's where my dabbling in the YA end of the pool begins and ends, I don't need 50 more series' to follow.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I agree with the article. I haven't read a lot of dystopian fiction; the last one I read was The Giver which was a few weeks ago, and 1984 a few months ago. I've read more but all the ones I've read have all been thought provoking.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
I really liked the Hunger Games series. While I like dystopias that's where my dabbling in the YA end of the pool begins and ends, I don't need 50 more series' to follow.
Hunger Games was a great series. It was the genre-opener for me. I've began to read other books like Delirium because of it. As of now, I still haven't found a YA book that's as good as it, and I've already read a lot, some with too forgettable story line.

I've heard good things about The Giver. Is it that great?
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Dystopic YA fiction serves a purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
Hunger Games was a great series. It was the genre-opener for me. I've began to read other books like Delirium because of it. As of now, I still haven't found a YA book that's as good as it, and I've already read a lot, some with too forgettable story line.

The first and second book of The Hunger Games were really good, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get into the third one, Mockingjay, and so I abandoned it halfway.

The Giver is a quick and easy read and can be finished in one sitting. I found the story intriguing. Basically, it's set in a community where everything is safe and perfect; citizens don't know what war and hunger are and everything is in order and the citizens' lives (job, spouse, etc.) are chosen by Advisors in order to protect them from making poor decisions. The author also wrote three companion books but I haven't read them.

There are people who find the book inappropriate and disturbing. It has been challenged and in some parts of the States, banned. There are some who think that it promotes infanticide and I wonder if they've really read the book. I personally didn't find it disturbing and I don't think it needs to be banned.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Dystopic seems have been the trend for a lot of adult sci-fi for a long time. It is not only a YA phenomena.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #13
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post

I read The Giver when it was first released and I was in the 3rd grade.
It blew my mind at the time. I own it now and I still love it.

Keep in mind that The Giver is NOT YA. It's middle grade.
--I feel like making the distinction because I find I can't get into most YA, but I don't have an issue with middle grade. ^^;

It is one of my all time favorites.
There is a bit of weirdness in it. I didn't notice it as a kid, but as an adult, it was like... hmmm that doesn't quite fit. It's nothing that pulled me out of the immersion, but more something that I was thinking about afterward.

Spoiler:
It has to do with the birthrate compared to the assumed size of the community. I'm not going to go too much into it here, but as an adult I can see that it doesn't add up. It just went over my head as a kid.

Quote:
There are some who think that it promotes infanticide and I wonder if they've really read the book.
If they think that, there is no way they could have actually read the book.

Quote:
The author also wrote three companion books but I haven't read them.
I read the first 2 companion books. The first one was an accident, I didn't know it was set in the same world or supposed to be part of a series.

I do NOT recommend them. The first of the 3 is okay. It's set in the same world, but in a different community and has no direct ties to The Giver within the book itself. It was enjoyable, but no where near as good as The Giver. I did not like the second book at all. There's a lot of plot holes. Big gaping ones.
I have not read the third.

Last edited by peachiekene; 03-08-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #14
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
For those interested in the genre, may I recommend Wyndham's The Chrysalids? Read it for the first time last week. It was first published in 1955, but you'd never be able to tell...reads like current dystopian YA fiction by someone who can write.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #15
peachiekene
Fanatic

Quote:
by someone who can write.
You made me choke on my drink. :P
Adding it to the wishlist pile. Thanks!