Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #31
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Tunnel in the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein I liked it basicly it was about a group of kids trying to survive on a planet but it would be easy to ignore the planet aspect and treat it as an island/jungle.
Yes, this is a great book and inspired me to write, Surviving the Fog. This book is the anti-Lord of the Flies.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #32
way8lifter
Enthusiast
way8lifter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Don't want to make light of the truly awful event - but it does sound rather like a non-survivalist work.....

Don't think I could take it, anyway.

"Touching the Void" , though - stunning, and beautifully written....
And the Shackleton ? A real no-brainer really - got to be on your list.

I rather gave up on "Penal Colony", my initial doubts being confirmed - but due to the weakness of the writing, and the somewhat dated feel, rather than any depictions of horror and bestiality that the title nudges you about.
Don't know why I d/loaded it, really, didn't sound anything like my cup of Java.

Oh yes, it was free.......

I don't know...most people that survive bad experiences say //it was all about my will,,,..many of these men that both died and survived ...could have just let themselves drown..but chose to live ....I think that is the one common thing all the above mentioned books have in common
way8lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #33
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
So far I read to books due to your recommendations:
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Great story, I really enjoyed reading it.

Tunnel in the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein
I did not know what to think of it, when I read the beginning. It felt to me that the characters in the book did not treat this "Survival" course very special. This course seemed to be regarded as rather unimportant. The main character had no need to take that exam right away. He could have done it later, but it is not obligatory.
Spoiler:
I mean in this course some characters got killed in the first couple of hours.They should have emphasized this mortal danger to a greater extent.

However the later part was definitly what I was looking for. I wished the author had covered a longer time period with a deeper character developement and less time jumps.
Still it is a good read.

Thank you very much!
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #34
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
StoP pRESS.

Just caught the tale end of a BBC booky programme while navigating traffic, a book titled "I Am David" by Anne Holm, 1963. About a concentration camp child and his escape and subsequent journey, survival indeed. Dunno if it's E, but sounds a cert for a read, whatever.........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #35
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Louis L'Amour's _Last of the Breed_ is a very well-done survival novel w/ some interesting characters and contrasting cultures.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert