Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #31
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I normally get my ebooks from Kobo, Smashwords, Allromance and Elib
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #32
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Sony -- my first ebook reader was a Sony so most of my library is already collected there.

I like Smashwords for easily getting books onto my phone (Aldiko) and iPod Touch (stanza).

I was using Kobo for awhile, but with agency pricing, it isn't any cheaper than Sony anymore so I've gone back to Sony. I also have an easier time downloading Sony purchases; it seems the Sony software likes me better than ADE, which only works sometimes.

I don't buy from B&N at all and I only get freebies from Amazon. I'm passively boycotting ADE.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #33
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
WH Smiths
Kobo
The book depository

I don't use these anymore since getting my kindle but these were the ones I used the most when I used my Sony reader.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:37 AM   #34
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
BeWrite books and smashwords.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:48 AM   #35
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Smashwords, without a doubt.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 03:35 AM   #36
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
O'Reilly! but then I like to read about computer technology.

DRM free, free updates/corrections, multi-format (and I do use all of those formats on my various devices). Just like all bookstores should be!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #37
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
O'Reilly...

I mainly read computer books so Amazon and O'Reilly are my main ones. Not an Ad, but O'Reilly does not force any DRM restriction, so even when some books are more expensive, you get different formats and no need to convert or break any DRM, that's really nice.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #38
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
One of the benefits is not supporting the two stores that have DRM that is not compatible with any others. I buy at B&N when my mother-in-law gives me a gift card and I get freebies from Amazon.
But if you're a Kindle user and buy from a different store, you won't be able to use whispersync and other Amazon's features.

I honestly check the price 1st and availability, of course. If I can find it on Amazon, I go for it. O'Reilly is my 2nd choice for computer books.

Last edited by jocampo; 05-26-2011 at 10:48 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #39
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I probably use Baen and eHarlequin most outside the big 2.

I use Sony and Kobo sometimes when they have items that are in epub either free/cheaper or that B&N doesn't have (since I have a nook I prefer epub to a Kindle book).

I've purchased from Samhain, Book View Cafe, and Regency Reads (Belgrave House) as well from time to time, but not regularly.

All other things equal I prefer to buy the books for the nook from B&N because that allows me to sync them with my iPhone. But DRM-free is nice too.

I get free/public domain books here, girlEbooks, or gutenberg.

Last edited by Joykins; 05-26-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #40
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Booksonboard, Kobo and Diesel-ebook store
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #41
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have accounts and sometimes purchase from Kobo, Google Play, Smashwords and very occasionally from Baen (although I should probably purchase more from there).

I also have an all you can read membership for Cemetery Dance and I've downloaded everything from their e-catalogue so I guess that counts.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #42
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Kobo and BooksOnBoard (in addition to Amazon). Kobo only when they have good coupons, as otherwise BooksOnBoard tends to be cheaper for me.

Sony and Google are not available for me; Smashwords and Fictionwise very rarely have anything I'm interested in (although I've got some freebies from Smashwords). I've also bought a couple of things from Baen as well as got some freebies from them, but again, while I like Baen's attitude to ebooks a lot, there isn't a lot there I'm interested in (plus their covers are so atrocious I need to force myself to ignore them).
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #43
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If you're into science fiction/fantasy/horror, my favorite is easily Weightless Books and Wizard's Tower Books.

They're a publisher, so not sure if this counts, but the Angry Robot Bookstore is also great (although obviously, they only stock their own eBooks).

I also occasionally shop at Baen eBooks.

Edit: What I mentioned above are free from geo-restrictions, which is my problem with sites like B&N (doesn't sell to me at all) or iTunes (mostly public domain books at the local iBookstore).
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 AM   #44
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Kobo, Sony, Books on Board & Smashwords.
Ditto, but I mainly buy from the first 2
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:59 AM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Public libraries
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote