Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #15691
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I guess it was the lack of dramatic points that made me feel the book was less than what I had hoped for. Everything was just 'too expected.'

If anyone hasn't read it but plans to, don't read the spoiler.

Spoiler:
Once they announced the drawing, I knew whose name was going to be drawn. When it was foretold that the boy gave her food, I KNEW there would be a love aspect, KNEW they would team up eventually, I KNEW food and medicine would show up, and KNEW they would both survive.

Stitchawl
True, it's all very predictable

Spoiler:
(really, what had you, a seasoned reader, expected from this YA fiction other than crushes, lucks all the way, and happy ending?)

But it is still offers some thought-provoking points.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #15692
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I enjoyed the first book, but haven't read the next two. I have the video of Hunger Games and want to see how well it follows the book. Has anyone seen it?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #15693
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've owned all three books of the Hunger Games for some time now and I still haven't even got to the stage where they're in a reading schedule. They're just waiting in the big bin for the moment.

I'm sure I'll get to them eventually.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #15694
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Finished up The Andromeda Strain, going back to finish Resurrection Inc., which I believe is Kevin J. Anderson's first published novel.

btw: I noticed that several of Crichton's early books are now marked (Vintage), I'm assuming because they're older works.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:56 AM   #15695
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I enjoyed the first book, but haven't read the next two. I have the video of Hunger Games and want to see how well it follows the book. Has anyone seen it?
I did and I thought it was probably the most true to the book movie I'd ever seen.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #15696
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I did and I thought it was probably the most true to the book movie I'd ever seen.

Thanks. I'll try to watch it on my day off tomorrow.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #15697
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

Really?

When they announced the cast, I thought that was the furthest to what I'd imagined them in my head.

I can't say I enjoyed the movie. Well, the oldest problem with adaption movies is that everyone has it different in their mind, isn't it?
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #15698
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
True, it's all very predictable

Spoiler:
(really, what had you, a seasoned reader, expected from this YA fiction other than crushes, lucks all the way, and happy ending?)

But it is still offers some thought-provoking points.
I was surprised by what you wrote in the spoiler. And it explains a lot!

Spoiler:
I never knew that it was a YA book until I was reading it. Then I kept thinking, 'gee, this reads like a 'Hardy Boys go Native' book!

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 02-18-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #15699
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I agree. Knowing what is coming is - I think - an intentional part of the tale; which is not that unusual for this type of story.
It is in many books. But I have a feeling that wasn't the intent in this one. Same with the Wool Omnibus. Like a 'Colombo' mystery, where you know who done it, Colombo knows who done it, and we are just enjoying the process of his building the case. The difference was that Columbo was able to keep a viewer/reader glued to the screen, not wanting to miss a thing, week after week after week. Even when everyone in the house would say the words right along with him...'oh! Just one more thing....'

While these books both were pleasant enough to read, neither forced me to stay awake longer to read them.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #15700
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Something that's more my usual sort of thing, the latest Honor Harrington, Shadow of Freedom by David Weber.
Which I did enjoy, and I'm looking forward to the next one, but I do sometimes wish that the author didn't keep us quite so well informed about what the 'baddies' are up to!

Also,

Spoiler:
the overwhelming superiority of the heros' warship tech at the moment makes the battle scenes less than exciting.

Next up: Assault on the Gods by Steve Goldin (sgoldin), as I've enjoyed a couple of his other republished books, and he has this one on special offer at the moment.

And I can't help but approve of his choice of usename.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #15701
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
And I'm done! Very interesting turn of events revealed at the end of that one. I'm quite curious as to what will come of it all.
I loved the Chronicles of Amber. I've been thinking about rereading them. I hope that you enjoy the rest of the series!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #15702
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Completely unplanned reading.

I was checking the Indie freebies today and found "You Only Die Twice," by Christopher Smith.

I read 5 [short] chapters on my computer and found that I couldn't wait to continue to read it, so I downloaded it onto my Kindle.

It's free, by the way, and is available from Amazon.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-18-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Title corrected.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #15703
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool casting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
Really?

When they announced the cast, I thought that was the furthest to what I'd imagined them in my head.

I can't say I enjoyed the movie. Well, the oldest problem with adaption movies is that everyone has it different in their mind, isn't it?
Yep, really. The only casting problem I had was Woody Harrelson, as he was far from the person I'd pictured, but his performance was just fine, so by the end it was insignificant.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #15704
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Completely unplanned reading.

I was checking the Indie freebies today and found "You Only Live Twice," by Christopher Smith.

I read 5 [short] chapters on my computer and found that I couldn't wait to continue to read it, so I downloaded it onto my Kindle.

It's free, by the way, and is available from Amazon.

Don
Do you mean You Only Die Twice ?

Live Twice is a James Bond novel and I couldn't find one by Smith.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #15705
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
On now to "How Firm a Foundation", the 5th book in David Weber's "Safehold" series.
A long book (it's taken me 17 days to read it, but very satisfying. The "Safehold" series is slow-paced, but I'm really enjoying it, and can't wait for the next book to be released in the UK (it's already out in the US).

Next up is "The Accidental Time Machine", by Joe Haldeman.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote