Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
sippie2
sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS 600
Ereader Recommendation?

Hello all,
I have a nook color, sony prs 600, and old rca 1100(still works

Out of all of these, I can't read in bright sunlight.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to which of the newer ereaders, such as the new kobo would be best for reading in that type of situation?

Thank you in advance for your help.
sippie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Any of the latest e-readers will be good for reading in bright sunlight (those with e-ink screens, so not the tablet like e-readers, eg the Kobo Arc, Nook Color, Kindle Fire).

Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle Touch, Nook Simple Touch (or the non touch screen Kindle 4), or even the older Sony's like the 650 and last years T1, will all be perfect for bright sunlight.

The newest models, the Nook Glow, Kobo Glo and the just about to be announced new Kindle (though I presume since you already own a Sony you'll prefer an epub e-reader) all have the added extra of a front-lit screen that you can turn the light on for reading in low lighting/dark.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
you enjoy sweating while you read?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I've found my Kindle 3 very nice to read in the sun. I assume any eInk reader with a nice Pearl screen is as comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
you enjoy sweating while you read?
Some people live in countries where bright sunlight doesn't equal blistering heat. I don't see what "sweating" has to do with me sitting on my balcony, enjoying the fresh air, and reading - in bright sunlight - when it's 12-14°C.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The prs-600 doesn't have the greatest e-ink screen, but it's pretty comparable to other e-ink readers in bright sunlight. Bright sunlight is pretty much the ideal environment for the 600 and all e-ink e-readers. I don't know why you can't read with it in sunlight.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
sippie2
sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Any of the latest e-readers will be good for reading in bright sunlight (those with e-ink screens, so not the tablet like e-readers, eg the Kobo Arc, Nook Color, Kindle Fire).

Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle Touch, Nook Simple Touch (or the non touch screen Kindle 4), or even the older Sony's like the 650 and last years T1, will all be perfect for bright sunlight.

The newest models, the Nook Glow, Kobo Glo and the just about to be announced new Kindle (though I presume since you already own a Sony you'll prefer an epub e-reader) all have the added extra of a front-lit screen that you can turn the light on for reading in low lighting/dark.
Thank you, I'll do a little research. I do like my epubs though. Like to check out a lot of library books. My old rca 1100 has a back light to it, I just wish I could find more books to put on it.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
sippie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The prs-600 doesn't have the greatest e-ink screen, but it's pretty comparable to other e-ink readers in bright sunlight. Bright sunlight is pretty much the ideal environment for the 600 and all e-ink e-readers. I don't know why you can't read with it in sunlight.
I love the sony, but the screen just seems to be so dark that the print is not as clear as I'd like
Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Well you do have the extra glare and reduced contrast of the overlay on the screen.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
sippie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I've found my Kindle 3 very nice to read in the sun. I assume any eInk reader with a nice Pearl screen is as comfortable.

Some people live in countries where bright sunlight doesn't equal blistering heat. I don't see what "sweating" has to do with me sitting on my balcony, enjoying the fresh air, and reading - in bright sunlight - when it's 12-14°C.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that one as well. I thought I'd try a smaller one, maybe 5 in. just to tuck into my pocket
Old 09-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippie2 View Post
Thanks, I'll take a look at that one as well. I thought I'd try a smaller one, maybe 5 in. just to tuck into my pocket
The new Kobo Mini might be exactly what you need then.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
sippie2

You could be right, I'll sort of wait and see how the holidays go and then look a little closer at that one. I'm sure we will see other new releases of ereaders as well, but the Kobo Mini is looking like a consideration at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The new Kobo Mini might be exactly what you need then.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippie2 View Post
You could be right, I'll sort of wait and see how the holidays go and then look a little closer at that one. I'm sure we will see other new releases of ereaders as well, but the Kobo Mini is looking like a consideration at this time.
The Kobo mini looks nice but it uses Vizplex screens.
There are several 6inchers that are not much bigger and use the (slightly) better Pearl screens. (The new Kindle 4 and the older Kobo Touch, the Sony T2 if the price drops to a reasonable level, for starters.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The Kobo mini looks nice but it uses Vizplex screens.
There are several 6inchers that are not much bigger and use the (slightly) better Pearl screens. (The new Kindle 4 and the older Kobo Touch, the Sony T2 if the price drops to a reasonable level, for starters.)
A Pearl screen IS a Vizplex screen. How do you know that the Kobo Mini screen is not Pearl? The 5" Sony 350 (no longer in production) had a Pearl screen.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Do they even make the non-pearl screens anymore?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
A Pearl screen IS a Vizplex screen. How do you know that the Kobo Mini screen is not Pearl? The 5" Sony 350 (no longer in production) had a Pearl screen.

eP
Well, the Mini spec sheet says vizplex but the Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo spec sheets both say pearl. That tells me Kobo thinks they're different tech.

Sony has a 5in Pearl but even now all the Pocketbook 360s still run Vizplex.
Kobo may have had to go with the older (cheaper) tech to hit their price point.

Mind you, I'm on record as saying the difference between vizplex and pre-2012 pearl isn't a big deal but for somebody looking too maximize contrast it just might matter.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote