Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
Looking for novel about survival, castaway...

Hello everyone.

I like to read stories about people who are stranded on a foreign, rough land and trying to survive and make the best out of it.

I have read Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe, of course.
The novel which had the most impact on me was The Survivors of the "Jonathan", also known as Magellania, written by Jules Verne.
You can also find this topic in James Clavell's Shogun or Yuri Rytkheu's A Dream in Polar Fog.

Can somebody recommend an interesting book?
It does not matter, whether it is fiction or based on a true story. However I dislike, when the main theme is just about horror or splatter.

Thanks for every recommendation!
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I haven't read it yet, but I have on my TBR list Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.

http://www.amazon.com/Endurance-Shac...0091042&sr=8-2

It's nonfiction. I was impressed with the consistently great reviews. This was an ebook deal at one time (don't remember the price) but I didn't pick it up because my library has it.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Adrift in the Pacific-Two Years Holiday by Jules Verne
A Fringe of Leaves by Patrick White
The Lord of the Flies by William Golding
The Cay by Theodore Taylor
The Blue Lagoon by Henry De Vere Stacpoole
The Coral Island, by RM Ballantyne
The Adventures of Ben Gunn by R.F. Delderfield
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-505
Non-fiction survival stories:

Sole Survivor by Ruthanne Lum McCunn
Four Against the Arctic by David Roberts
ElsieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
How about The land that time forgot, by Edgar Rice Burroughs - and its two sequels.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
A terrific YA classic, Island of the Blue Dolphins, by Scott O'Dell.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Jules Verne - "The Mysterious Island" available at MobileRead

Frederick Marryat - "Masterman Ready" available at MobileRead

R.M.Ballantyre "The Coral Island" available at MobileRead

Johann Wyss - "The Swiss Family Robinson"
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
Fehmarn
Enthusiast
Fehmarn doesn't litterFehmarn doesn't litterFehmarn doesn't litter

Device: Aura H2O (Glo stolen, PRS-T1 given away, K-touch kaputt) & iPads
I would recommend Tom Neale: An Island to Oneself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Neale
I loved that book when I was a kid.
Fehmarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
stephensmat
stephensmat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My Side Of The Mountain by Jean Craighead George
The Hatchet Series by Gary Paulsen
stephensmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I doubt it it has been turned into an ebook, but Robb White's "The Survivor" was a favourite of mine when I was younger. There's also "Death Watch" by the same author, which takes place in an American Desert, but is definitely a survivor tale.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #11
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Tunnel in the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein I liked it basicly it was about a group of kids trying to survive on a planet but it would be easy to ignore the planet aspect and treat it as an island/jungle.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:43 AM   #12
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
I don't know if it is available as an ebook, but you might like Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors by Piers Paul Read, the real story of a group of uruguayan rugbiers who, in 1972, survived 72 days in the Andes mountains after the plane that was flying them to Chile crashed.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
Fehmarn
Enthusiast
Fehmarn doesn't litterFehmarn doesn't litterFehmarn doesn't litter

Device: Aura H2O (Glo stolen, PRS-T1 given away, K-touch kaputt) & iPads
I just saw that "An Island to Oneself" by Tom Neale is available for free as a PDF here:
http://www.privateislandsonline.com/...to-oneself.htm
Fehmarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I haven't read it yet, but I have on my TBR list Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.

It's nonfiction. I was impressed with the consistently great reviews. This was an ebook deal at one time (don't remember the price) but I didn't pick it up because my library has it.

eP
I can vouch for Endurance. I listened to it as an audiobook, and it was fascinating. I'd highly recommend it.

On a similar note, "Alone" by Admiral Richard E. Byrd also is an interesting read. The author's isolation was self-imposed and wasn't complete isolation as his support crew was a hundred miles or so away, but he endured the incredible cold of the South Pole along with technical malfunctions, psychological problems, etc.

Enjoy!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
Spock96
Book Geek.
Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post

eP
I read that in like 6th grade. It was good.
Spock96 is offline   Reply With Quote